“Nice hotel in a wonderful town”
Review of Hostal Revash

and 1 more site!
Hostal Revash
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chachapoyas
San Rafael, California
“Nice hotel in a wonderful town”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We loved our stay at the Revash. Carlos, the manager of the hotel and Andes Tours, was very helpfull. The room was comfortable and had a great view of the Plaza des Armas. We paid 80 soles/night for a double, which we thought a good price. Andes Tours is a good agency and will take you anywhere you want to go with english speaking guides.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I came here on a recommendation and wasn't disappointed. I got myself a good value room in the new section away from the courtyard with a new mattress, very comfortable - only problem there is the wifi doesn't work in the rooms, but there are comfy seats around the courtyard where you can get a connection. I had hot water every time bar one when it was lukewarm, but the pressure was always good. Breakfast is extra but worth it - tasty bread and plenty of fruit. Tours can be organised through the hostal and I can recommend them - good value with enthusiastic guides.
Gracias otra vez Carlos y familia!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the courtyard are cheaper.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
White Plains, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I decided to go to Hostal Revash after hearing positive reactions from other travelers. I called ahead and they allowed me to check in early since my bus arrived around 6 AM. This is a big plus because transportation into and out of Chachapoyas is not too regular. 1 PM checkout is also another big plus. I thought the price for my room was fair (40 soles for a simple). They did advertise their tour as soon as I checked in, but I went ahead on the tour, which I thought was a bit pricey (50 soles), considering that there was a full bus of people (about 10 or 11 people), and only one guide who had to split his time between Spanish and English. Fortunately, the guide was very knowledgeable and spoke in English clearly. There is really good hot water in the hotel, with good water pressure, and the bed was very comfortable and very clean. However, there was no seat on the toilet (kind of weird). They told me the internet didn't work in my room, so I had to sit out in the hallway to use it. Not fun in the dusk getting bitten by Amazonian mosquitos-- don't worry, it's a malaria-free area. All in all, Hostal Ravesh is an ok option, but Chachapoyas could really use a backpacker's hostel.

Room Tip: Make sure your room definitely gets wifi reception if you need it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Pro's:
- Good beds (soft pillows, comfortable mattress)
- Very hot shower with plenty water pressure
- 1pm check out
- Central location
- Free WiFi

Con's
- Pricey for overall service (60Soles, no Breakfast)
- TV is very small (12") and didn’t work right
- Loud music playing in courtyard from 8am
- Rooms could use some upgrading/paint

Arriving late in Chacha we settled for the first decent place we found. Revash is right in the middle of Plaza de Armas, rooms are set around a central courtyard off the street.

We were initially quoted 70Soles for a matrimonial room, after asking for a lower rate we got 60Soles without breakfast. This is still a very high price compared to what you get in other small towns in Peru (we spent over 40 days in the country and have a good picture of room costs).
Though hotels in Chachapoyas seems to be more expensive than in other Peruvian towns.

The highlight of this hotel is clearly the hot shower and the comfortable mattress. The room layout was awkward and the tiny TV screen at the far end of the room could hardly bee seen - although it just showed a blue screen most of the time anyway.

We were woken then next day at 8am by loud music that was playing in the courtyard, not very considerate a Sunday morning!

The staff is very friendly but that alone does not make up for the high price, we changed over to the nearby Hostel Amazonas (40S for a similar room) after one night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I think the owners are super kind and have all the best intention to provide comfort for their guests. Their courtyard is nice and it is quiet at night and the location is perfect. But I would not want to stay here again because unfortunately the following things went wrong during my 3-day stay:

1. I had previously booked a room both through the internet and phone. When I arrived at 6am they took me to a room, only to discover that the room had NOT been cleaned from the previous night. There were 4 beds in the room (i had only asked for a single), and two of the beds were used. They said they would clean the room immediately for me, though I really would have loved a nap at this time. They quickly cleaned the bathroom but very haphazardly so it was still a bit dirty. And they only took out the dirty bedsheets from the used beds without replacing them.

2. I then woke up at 7am to take a shower, only to discover that there was no hot water. It was only lukewarm. The owner explained that perhaps everyone else has been taking the shower, but my question was almost all tourists get up at this hour to get ready in order to start their 8am tour, so does that mean there is no hot water every day at this time?

3. I returned to the hotel at around 6pm after my tour, only to discover that my room door was left wide open, with all my personal belongings in it, while the staff was cleaning the other rooms. Surely anyone could have walked into my room and stolen my stuff?

4. They wanted to switch me to a simple room with one bed, which I was fine with, but the room wasn´t completely ready (this was at 6pm). Once again they cleaned the bathroom of this new room for me haphazardly, i.e. it was still not that clean. The staff commented that they had nothing to do during the afternoon and now all the guests returned from their day tours back to the hotel at the same time, causing them to be very busy. Again, this is the whole routine of most tourists who took day tours around Chachapoyas, no? Should the staff not be used to it by now?

5. My hot water shower in this new room at around 7pm very quickly turned into a trickle of hot water, presumably when other guests also decided to take a shower. After a bit of trickle, there was simple no hot water left. I finally got a proper hot shower when I purposely had to wake up at 5am the next morning to "beat the crowd" to use the hot water.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank RMaruko
Chachapoyas, Peru
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Excellent and beautiful hostel, with Internet, laundry, big rooms, hot water, plants and flowers. Good price for the town of Chachapoyas. The tours and treks they organise are very good and profesionals. I recomend it !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank P0ugne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2010

All the staff at this hotel go out of their way to make travellers welcome and are more than happy to arrange tours to all of the local attractions, those known outside of the area and those which are well kept secrets. Large comfortable rooms with big showers and cable tv in the rooms.

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo