“Pretty hotel in Chachapoyas”
Review of Casa Vieja

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chachapoyas
Casa Vieja
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Chachapoyas
Seattle, Washington
“Pretty hotel in Chachapoyas”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We arrived on the Movil Tours bus from Trujillo 7AM, but we were still allowed to check-in early for our 2 night reserved stay. There was a little confusion at the front desk at check-in due to the staff's lack of English and our lack of Spanish, but a woman speaking excellent English appeared and straightened everything out.

After showering and about to walk out the front door, the staff told us to go eat breakfast. Breakfast is served in the attached cafe and includes bread, eggs, fruit, juice, and hot beverage. On our last morning, after checking out, we sat down to eat breakfast and one of the front desk staff ran into the cafe and told us that we already ate both of our free breakfasts and that we would be charged for our 3rd. At this point, we could have left (and ate at Cafe Fusions down the streets), but we decided to stay. Again, I think some of the confusion was due to language barrier.

Our quiet room was on the 2nd floor and had hot showers and cable TV (several English channels). The hotel is a less than 5 minute walk from the square. Our last night, there was a giant party in the square due to Chachapoyas Day, but we could not hear it from our room (except the fireworks).

This is definitely an expensive option in Chachapoyas. We paid just as much for our room here as in Cusco.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor. The pretty wood floors squeak.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Our group had the most wonderful stay here. The rooms are beautifully furnished with a combination of antiques and modern touches. Breakfast was excellent and the Grand Dame (I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten her name) fell over herself to help out. We loved Chachapoyas and this hotel too. It remains in my mind as one of the finest places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Charlie B
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The building and decoration of public areas are nice but rooms on the ground are very dark. Down duvets in rooms. But, in all, it is a bit overpriced. The female owner is sometimes crafty-ish. I booked a single room about a week in advance through telephone with my poor Spanish as the staff doesn’t speak English. Then, just few seconds later, one woman who interrupted in with American accent English. I wanted 5 nights and finally only 4 nights available. When I arrived the hotel, it was in the morning. I was allocated into a twin room (1 bed) with a fireplace and a balcony. In that afternoon, a woman who was speaking American accent English as the same as the one I spoke on phone came to me and said that ‘we will help you to move to a “single room” next morning since the room you are in is “supreme room”, which is 125 soles a day’. … ‘And, the staff doesn’t understand English so they made mistake…’ She didn’t mention she was talking with me on phone in English. And she suddenly dispeared. When I saw her again it was time for check-out. As soon as I paid up, she then, suddenly left. I was charged for 125 soles for the first night plus 85 soles*3 nights. I didn’t argued with her since I didn’t want to be angry while on holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Most single rooms in Chachapoyas cost $20 to $25 dollars this place is near $40. Though it is one of the two best in town (the other being Casona Monsante $28 single) there is nothing special. Yes, it is an old house (thus the name) but then the rooms feel like it. If you have a first floor rood you hear all the foot steps on the wood floorboards above you. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is adequate and there is cable TV with CNN! But , the breakfast (which as in all places in Peru, is included) is subpar. The reception persons are pleasant and helpful. Overall, yes I recommend it but first check out Casona Monsante up the next street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fdoamerica
Sydney
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The rooms are gorgeous, full of character and charm, the service is impeccable. We had no idea it would be so posh for the price. Immaculately clean - they even clean your room everyday and throw away the soaps! Nobody speaks English but that's not a problem. The staff is lovely and understands sign language (I speak Spanish, my boyfriend doesn't but he made himself understand). Highlighly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatiaSydney
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed February 6, 2011

It is a colonail house, with simple clean rooms. Rooms are old but clean. Bathroom is fine with good water pressure. We could check inn very early at 5 am. The last day we checked out very early before breakfast time, they had prepared us a bag with fruits for the way. Very nice staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We have been traveling through Peru for some time now and I think it's honest to say we have a good idea of the relationship between price and quality of hotels now.
Casa Vieja is a nice old colonial hotel, that presents itself like an upmarket place. Pricewise it is definitely upmarket place, there are rooms for 180 and 110 Soles. If you are coming straight from Europe or the US this might not seem like so much, but for Peruvian standards this is a lot, a lot of money, especially in such a remote town like Chachapoyas.
We stayed in a room for 110 Soles and it was small, cold and very dark. You find better rooms for 50 Soles, maybe not in such a nice building but for this amount of money you can expect a much better room. Unfortunately we arrived very early and sick and just were not able to "shop around" more.
Breakfast is between 7 and 9 am. I find this very early and limiting. We arrived "late" one day in the breakfast room and were sent away without food. A place that values service and it's customers should consider that "sleeping in" might be part of a vacation once in a while and be more flexible and friendly than this.
All in all, there are much better places to stay in Chachapoyas, where you get what your money is worth.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple