“beter thanfirst thought”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Ping Pong
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lido di Ostia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Arrived in Ostia Lido on a gray wet Sunday afternoon after being perplexed by the one way road system for hours. Almost booked an isolated hotel in Ostia but luckily it was not available for 3 nghts. Gotthe name of the Ping Pong from the Tourist office list down the street and decided to stay there since we were parked in front of it, tired and desperate. From the outside it looks like a metal forttress but mostly because of the shutters to keep the strong sun out of the rooms. Inside much more relaxed. desk was good at getting us settled in. Unfortunately it was busier than we had expected for mid-September and we were in the annex building. That meant going out the side door, crossing the passsgeway to the breakfast room, up several steps, then if you are not on the ground floor you have to get up a full flight of stairs to use the elevator. We were between the 2nd and 3rd floors, so we had to carry the cases up the flight and then down a flight after the elevator went to the 3rd floor. Not sure if the main building was that bad.
Room small but clean, what you would expect I guess at a beachfront. In the poor weather Ostia looked tacky and depressing, like a worn out hooker, but once the sun came up the next day it had the shining glorious look shore towns get when the sun is out. Pretty good breakfast as Italian B/Fs go in a separate room looking at the beach. At that time of year parking was easy, and there were lots of restaurants nearby, not great but decent. The ones higly recommended by TripAdvisor seemed either closed for the season or more like sandwhich shops than restaurants.

Room Tip: check about elevator access to avoid lugging cases up and down stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andrew p
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ping Pong

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I do not understand how this Hotel has 3 stars, maybe 1 definately not 3. Bathroom was small and dirty, room was very small. They completely messed up the bookings and 1 of the rooms I cancelled, they would not return the money we paid, even though I'd cancelled the room about a month before the date. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were a bit doubtful when booked this hotel, there were very different views from wow to very poor. But reality was not bad at all. Its location is very convinient either to go to the beach or to travel to Roma. 5 minutes walk to main promenade and lots of cafes. The room is rather simple, but toiletroom doesn't seem very small. The best thing of our room was a veranda. It was bigger than our room twice!:))There were chairs and a table there and we could have a light night snack and drink looking on the sea and stars in the sky. Breakfast was included. It was not rich but enough. Coffee from the machine was very good (but only one cup per person:))).What was not convinient - there was no safe in the room.It is very easy to get into the room from the balcony and we had to leave our valiable things in the office.The staff was polite and helpful, English of staff is very understandable.
The only thing which prevents me from staying here again is a very dirty sea in Ostia. I have never seen such dirty water in the sea. There were different kinds of plastic rubbish, sigarettes, other trash.Awful!!!After first day of staying we were fully frustrated, but then it became a bit cleaner (and not so warm).

Room Tip: 104 has a big balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Right on the beach, Rome not far away. The staff were very nice and helpful and the hotel was great value for money. I was here for a big Harley Davidson event and the hotel suited me and others just fine

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank praguepivo
Reviewed June 16, 2013

A group of us were booked into this hotel for the weekend of the 110th Harley Davidson Party.
I was the firdt to check-in. I had booked a double room. The guy on reception initially refused to check me in.
He was very rude not just to me but to other guests as they arrived. They had no list of booked guests despite having been sent via email and fax(?) several times.
I ended up having to give up my double room and take a single which was tiny. All the showers are so small a normal person has trouble getting in and out let alone someone larger like me.
You are (strictly!!!?) only allowed one coffee from the proper coffee machine at breakfast unless you have a receipt for another coffee which you must first obtain from the reception.

Most of the staff have no clue what they are doing or how a hotel should be run. Reminded me of Faulty Towers but not in a funny way.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs if you want to ensure a good time in Ostia.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just across the road from the sea, and central to the town, hotel about 10 minutes walk to the railway station.

Rooms vary and are clean and comfortable and although basic make the hotel a good choice to be near the airport with easy access to central Rome

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed there only for one night - waiting for next flight from Fiumicino airport. You can get there quite cheap by bus - only 1,20 Euro, it's about 10km from the airport. The single room I had was basic but comfortable and it wasn't expensive. Breakfast included - Italian style

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Ostiense
Occidental Aran Blu
Occidental Aran Blu
#416 of 1,267 in Rome

Been to Hotel Ping Pong? Share your experiences!