“On a good day this can be great”

The Old Mill Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 29 Restaurants in Alsager
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alsager, United Kingdom
“On a good day this can be great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

On a good day the service and food can be great... but on a bad day I really wish we had gone somewhere else. There are some good offers to eat and they can do good parties... The New Year party for example was fantastic. Other times the food and service is really bad to the extent that we have left and gone somewhere else to eat something nice.

Visited March 2013

Stoke on Trent
“Could Do A Lot Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was taken to this restaurant along with my wife on fathers day by my son and daughter in law.
The building is situated at the end of a private drive opposite a pond. There is ample parking and outdoor seating and decking areas.
On entering the restaurant there was no one at the bar. After about five minutes we were eventually asked by a young waitress's if we would like to order a drink. We asked if we could order at the table and were shown to our seats, after she had shown us the specials board.
We were given the menus and then left for approximately 15 minutes before we decided to fetch our own drinks. My son asked for an orange juice and was served an orange squash which we returned, only to be told that we should have made it clear what we wanted. It's obvious the bar staff don't know the difference between juice and squash.
A mature surly waitress eventually arrived to take our order but couldn't be bothered to take the menus away. I placed these together on the corner of the table to be collected later.
We were informed that my order off the specials board had run out so I re ordered (the specials board had not been amended when we left the restaurant). The menus were left on the table.
The starters duly arrived but the menus were left again. As a consequence I placed these on the floor out of the way. Some of the crockery was chipped. The food was tasty with the exception of the so called lettuce on my plate which looked very tired and dry and was left.
The main courses were tasty, with the exception of my wife's rump steak which was inedible and was sent back. She did not re order and we asked for this meal to be removed from the bill. A younger waitress apologised and said she would inform the chef.
We decided to miss the dessert course and after paying (no tip was left) we went to another local pub, The Mere in Alsager, where we were made very welcome and served by very pleasant staff.
It would appear to us that The Old Mill is understaffed, some of the staff need further training and some of the crockery needs throwing away. This is all down to the management and this venue will not thrive with this level of service.
As stated 'Could Do Much Better'

1 Thank G04it
Stoke on Trent
“Have something to eat before you go. Terrible waiting time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place was recommended by my hairdresser, so my husband & I went on a Sunday evening. There were only a couple of other people in, and after a decent wait we had a lovley meal. As Father,s Day was approaching we booked a table for 6 adults & 3 children for 12 noon on Fathers Day. There was my husband & I, Daughter, Son in Law & their 2 children, my step daughter, her fiance and their baby.
We placed our food order at 12.15 and asked for the children,s meals to come out with the starter that 2 of the party were having. At 12.55 the starters came, but not the childrens meals. The children were getting iritable as they were hungry. At 1.35 the children were still waiting as were the adults, so my daughter went to ask where the food was. 10 minutes later the food started to appear but my son in law,s, mine and step daughter,s meals were wrong so had to be sent back. At 2pm my meal and my step daughter still hadnt had our meals. Eventually at 2.10 my step daughter,s meal arrived, but there was no sign of mine. I was fuming, Im diabetic and my blood sugar was getting quite low and I was beginning to feel ill. At 2.25 the waitress appeared and said that they wouldnt charge me for my meal. TOO FLIPPING RIGHT . There,s no way I was going to pay for a meal that I,d not had. Luckily I had a Mars Bar in my bag, so I sat and ate that.
There was no appology, and the family meal was spoilt.
It will be a cold day in hell before we ever go there again, and although the rest of the party said the food was nice, they wouldnt go again.
You have now been warned. You will have a very long wait and may not get it at all.

2 Thank CabhappyStokeonTrent
England
“Very nice food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited the Mill with a group of friends from work. We sat near the fire and enjoyed our meals and a drink after work. We mostly ordered food from the specials board and it was all very very nice, and the portions were big.

The chairs could do with more padding but the decor is nice with the large fire and cosy atmospher.

We are planning to visit again soon.

• Visited April 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It lacks a good restaurant manger”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The food most of the time is quite nice but the pub is let down by the lack of staff and proper attention to detail. It lacks a good restaurant manger

Whilst seated in the restaurant you will wait an age to get served by the waitress’s. We ended up going to the bar to get drinks on each occasion. Additionally once food is severed nobody comes back to ask if the food is ok. All the plates we were served on had chips on them and no steak knife came with steak. All the menus were left on the table. My wife ordered the fish and chips with brown bread but it came with White. We wanted two meals from the specials board both were sold out but they didn’t remove them from the menu

Staff just didn't seem happy to be there