“Good value, but busy”

Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Biddulph
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Vintage Inn, country pub dining in the staffordshire countryside. Roaring log fires in winter, full table service outside dining in summer. Children welcome. Bookings online or via telephone.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Well loved in the area, often busy, but large inside. Above average pub food, trying to be a restaurant, average service, friendly staff but some dishes arive before others. Food can be very nice, big portions and good value.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I haven't been to the talbot for a while and in the past its always been a destination for a family meet up or a quick lunch with a friend.

How disappointed was I on 'Fathers Day' at the total Talbot experience.

The service was very slow, the team seemed inexperienced and maybe even untrained, we had a few I'll have to check comments flying around with regards to the children's menu. Let me add there were plenty of empty tables.

My personal favourite, could you swap chips for sweet potato wedges please? I state to the waiter I don't mind paying a surcharge or having less than a portion. Answer - I will check with the kitchen. Result 5
Mins later - No.

In this day and age, offering exemplary service and simple menu requests can be the difference between average and great or success and failure. Presentation even though you are a chain pub should be pride beaming from the kitchen. Not here. A slow service from both front of house and the kitchen resulted in a dissapointed dad. No rush to hit Biddulph again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've been to the Talbot before, many times. I've always found it a very homely and accommodating. But...I went for my mum's birthday...the pub wasn't that busy at about 7:00 but the serbice was atrocious. The menu was new and promised a lot, in fact it looked so nice that I was stuck for choice! I had a vegetarian option, but dear lord it was the blandest thing ever. The Mediterranean style veggies that were supposed to serve as an accompaniment were just soggy and soaked in sunflower oil...(it tasted like it!). The food wasn't very warm and the peas were clearly cooked but must've been standing around for a bit as they were shrivelled and pretty unappetizing. My brother's 'hunter's chicken' was also dry and fatty. Disillusioned and disappointed with the place that I've been going to for quite a long time. Clearly trying to impress with the new menu but just cannot deliver. Still a cosy pub though a decent ambience.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Here for lunch with my wife and a friend. Place is clean and service fair. Food very much average and slightly overpriced- fairly typical of a Vintage Inns house.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

A group of 16 of us booked a table for 8pm at the Talbot on a weekday evening. We waited 20 minutes to get a drink at the bar, even though they didn't seem to be particularly busy around the bar. We ordered our food around 8.10pm and it eventually arrived over one and half hours later, minus one meal, which arrived 15 mins after all the others. We were then asked if we would like dessert or coffees. I asked how long it would take if we ordered the mini pudding with coffee and the answer was about 4mins. The mini puddings arrived, minus the coffees! The coffees arrived 20 mins later. The waitress was extremely rude and did not once apologise for the terrible service. Food not too bad, but have to say we will never return!