“Small Room, poor showers”
Review of Colca Inn Hotel

Colca Inn Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Chivay B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Nice location, just up from markets and in a quite area. Rooms a bit small, a bit bright and a bit cold but probably average for peru. Showers could have been a bit better. Breakfast was okay with some hot coffee (not always available in peru) and some nice fruit

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is comfortable, but they don't have TV in the rooms(only in the lobby).
Hot water works all day, Wi-Fi acces in all hotel(free). They also have a small game room.
Brekfast is included(continental)
They are 2 blocks from main square, anyway Chivay is a small town.
And the hotel is on a street full of statues(good for pictures)
Seems like a good option for one night.

Room Tip: First ask if there's a festival or contest in town, because in front of the hotel there's a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here as part of a packaged tour from Puno to Arequipa. Facilities were rundown which was per the norm in Peru but my main issue was the lack of heat. It was FREEZING cold and our heater barely did anything. Also, the lock to our door was hard to work with. We weren't the only room with this problem as the guys down the hall also had trouble opening theirs. Frozen solid during the night I stayed here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I just arrived. The tour agency booked two nights for me while visiting el Valle de Colca. This is the creepiest, nastiest, cold and unwelcoming hotel known to Chivay. It smells like and old house. I think I may be the only guest here at the hotel. Judging from my name being the only one on the sign up sheet I am right. I am amazed the have wifi but only in the lobby. I am in fact scared to sleep here tonight and if it were not for the fact I prepaid I would go sleep in a tent. Please circulate to all agencies. This is a God awful place.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank luisfruiz
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on our way for a day tour to the valley of the condors. Not worth the $40/night. A meager breakfast of a thin piece of bread and Nescafé. We played pool in the "parlor" that had 4 balls missing and no ball for the foosball table.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My little brother and sister were there a couple of day ago, they went with a group of students of their school, kids of 10 and 11 years old.
They service was horrible and the rooms are not secure, someone stole my brother's bag, the hotel did not want to take responsibility of that, my brother went to take a shower and someone enter into his room and take his bag with everything that was in there.
When they went to report the lost of the bag, they did not want to take responsibility and they even had the guts to yell to my sister who is a 11 year old girl, telling her that she was lying!!! just because my sister saw one of their workers walking into the room of my brother...
Well if you really want to stay in a good and SAFE place in the Colca Canyon, I really recommend you not to stay here!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was by far the worst place we stayed in during a month in Peru. Unfortunately we were here as a family of 4 for 3 nights, and hardly got any sleep at all.

The worst problems are noise and light. The hotel seems to have paper thin walls so you can hear people using their bathrooms, coughing, speaking...from all directions. As one of the main reasons people stay in Chivay is to make an early morning visit to see the condors, you are woken up every morning at about 5am by other tourists getting up to do the trip. The doors also have heavy duty locks and you hear every door open and close - very clearly. The other weird thing is that most (?) rooms have a window onto the corridor (with a thin curtain on it). The window is about 1/3rd of the wall, so if someone turns on the corridor light late at night / early in the morning, your room is illuminated too! We hardly slept for the 3 nights there.

We were overcharged for laundry, and without carrying around your own scales...it is difficult to prove. We were charged 30 soles for laundry, and everywhere else the same amount cost 10-15 soles. I think there may have been a middle man making a profit!

Minor complaints were: none of the staff we met spoke any English at all, there were no hooks at all in the rooms, not even for hanging towels, there was no heating and it was very very cold (there were spare blankets, but we also needed to wear thermals - our stay was in August so go prepared!), you cannot close the door without locking it (see above - heavy duty locks). It didn't seem anyone cared about the place to improve it, even in inexpensive ways like adding a couple of hooks.

Not wanting to be completely negative, here are my positives. The beds were very comfortable, we loved the warm breakfast rolls, the location is great and the rooms are cheap. Some of the staff tried to be helpful too, but with our lack of Spanish, and their complete lack of any English, we just ended up smiling at each other!

Room Tip: If you speak Spanish, try to ask for the quietest room with no window onto the corridor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chivay
Colca Lodge Spa & Hot Springs - Hotel
Aranwa Pueblito Encantado del Colca
Rumi Wasi Hostal
Rumi Wasi Hostal
#3 of 16 in Chivay

Been to Colca Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!