“A visit to the best little pub close to Auckland”

Currach Irish Pub & The Innkeeper's Lodge
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Currach Irish Pub & Innkeeper's Lodge is set in a lovely garden setting, across the road from beautiful Pa Beach and Tryphena Harbour. The Currach is Great Barrier's iconic Irish Pub with beautiful authentic bric a brac. The pub offers a delicious menu with a fantastic range of dishes including its world famous Seafood Chowder and fantastic Chef Tasting Platters. We offer locally caught fish and use organic salads and herbs. We have a delicious range of bar snacks or stay for dinner. The Gallery Restaurant is the location for art exhibitions of local artists. The Innkeeper's Lodge has 5 ensuites with balconies. We also have a small backpacker hostel. We look forward to welcoming you to the Currach.
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A visit to the best little pub close to Auckland”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed only a night at the Currach in their accomodation but what a pub. Great Barrier is a briliant getaway. The food in the restaurant was 5 star - not your ususal pubfare - I believe the chef/s are relatively new and the place has undergone a transformation. It shows.
Great people great atmosphere, v good affordable accomodation and the kind of food you'd normally pay big money on the High St fore. This place is a find

1 Thank baz c
Maire B, Owner at Currach Irish Pub & The Innkeeper's Lodge, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thanks for your lovely thoughts! We love the transformation that is happening at the Currach and really appreciate your feedback. We think Amy and Jan, our chefs are awesome too and look forward to a great summer of fabulous food and music at the Currach

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“How a pub should be and even more”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I visited the Currach Irish Pub after 8 month of travelling New Zealand, sleeping in probably more than two dozen Backpackers and Lodges and spending a fair amount of my budget in Pubs and Bars, counting this as one of the best experiences made.
Before I entered the door I was amazed by the setting. Just a few steps away from a beautiful beach I found the "historic" building under those beautiful Pohutukawa Trees. This place starts to tell his story when you walk down the path and you can find out everything else on the beautiful decorated walls, where pictures .. maps and letters tell the story of this great building and how it became this amazing pub. If, after that you still want to find out more there are heaps of friendly locals that meet here to enjoy the welcoming and warm atmosphere created by the lovely owners and their great staff. Out the back they have a wonderful garden with a brilliant view of the hills behind Tryphina.

I took place at one of the wonderfull tables and my order was taken as soon as I could decide what I would order from the amazing menu ( I can tell you now that you can´t choose wrong thanx to those really good chefs) Both food and service where at a high class you would usually expect in an expensive restaurant. After an amazing dinner it was time to join the bar scene.

Again staff is great. I felt really welcome and it should not take long until I could enjoy the divine craft beer from the tab. The range of beers on tab, as bottled is excellent They´ve got something for every taste.

This Pub is how a pub should be and I am happy that this place keeps the spirit of traditional irish Pubs alive. There are guitars, which are not just standing around as deco but getting played. ( there is a great jam night on thursday nights wich I especially enjoyed)
As Great Barrier Island itself, this Pub has some great stories to tell and I am sure there are more to come.

I visited this place solo but never felt alone.

Now I really have to recommend their Lodge and Backpackers.
How great is that, no matter which one of the beautiful rooms you choose (if you want to stay in one of the lovely ensuite rooms or join in the social backpackers) you can reach your cosy bed within a few steps and still you will have a peaceful night. The rooms are really nice and again they manage to have the right option for everyone. The staff showed me the available rooms and I could make my choice. Just brilliant.

The only bad thing was that I did not want to leave this place again.
Thanks to the whole Currach Team I had a really good time.

1 Thank Lukas196
Maire B, Owner at Currach Irish Pub & The Innkeeper's Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
What fantastic feedback! You have made my day....such a lovely description of the Currach and I am so happy that you enjoyed this special piece of paradise ! Sometimes it is good to look at our live through other peoples' eyes as we can get bogged down in the day to day minutiae. Thank you and safe travels.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding food, a great pub run by great people!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My stay in the currach irish pub was one of the best I've had in a long time. For me it had everything. The people were so friendly and welcoming, especially Maire and Phill, our hosts. The room we stayed in was really nice, very clean and had a lovely view of the garden. It was only a stones throw away from a beautiful beach were we got to go for walks and relax. The pub itself was great, the food was unbelievably good, five star quality and the wine was fantastic. The dinners we had while we stayed here were delicious, the menu was great, lots to choose from, i would recommend the seafood chowder and the lamb they were both fantastic. The desserts I had on both occasions were excellent and very well presented. I would advise anyone who is looking for great craic with great people and fantastic food and drink to go stay at the currach irish pub.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank omcl246
Thanks a million for the lovely feedback and yes we are justifiably proud of the pub food. Amy and Jan our chefs are amazing...think I will get fat eating staff meals! Delighted you enjoyed your time here and please return soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great accommodation, wonderful food - not to mention the best pub ever”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have been over to the Currach before for our honeymoon - and that was absolutely the best choice we have ever done. We have come back for the Great Barrier Marathon and yet again - we have not been let down. Great hospitality, soooo friendly, great accommodation, great food. The owners couldn't be more helpful if they tried. Thank you so much for looking after us. You are doing a fantastic job.

• Visited October 2013
I remember your visit for your honeymoon and hope to see you both return for an anniversary. The bubbles and the Heineken will be chilled. Thank you so much for your fab comments. It is exciting getting this business back to the wonderful little place we had. Looking forward to welcoming you back next year for the Marathon. You have to defend your title!
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The staff at the pub and lodge were extremely friendly and always greeted us with a smile. Our room was very cosy, clean & quiet with a little deck perfect for enjoying a refreshing beer or wine.

The pub had a warm & welcoming vibe, we had dinner there the both nights we were staying at the lodge. The food was excellent and very satisfying! Very delicious, and very well-presented food. Our dessert (Lemon Meringue) was served looking like it was from a 5-star expensive restaurant! It was devine - the chef is amazing!

I highly recommend this pub and we would definitely come back again. Based on our drive around the island, we think they are definitely situated in the best location with the beach across the road, the local store, café & Saturday Market next door.

• Visited October 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful words. We are excited with the challenge of relaunching the Currach and the Innkeeper's. We are proud of our amazing staff and hope to see you on the Barrier again soon