Thornwick Bay Holiday Village
$163
Travelocity
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswimming poollighthouse restauranthaven sitetouring sitesoft play areagreat sitefish and chip shopprivate caravantoilet blockshop on siteentertainment roomevening entertainmentgreat parkrock poolsnorth landingcamping tripentertainment team
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have had our own caravan sited at Thornwick for several years now so we spend as much time there as possible. The site has something foe everyone, you can either enjoy a quiet break or join in with all the activities that are available for a good family holiday.
The site has a wide variety of facilities and the surrounding area is both beautiful and fun to explore, the park is conservation concious and is mindful of the local wildlife.
The park is well looked after and the staff are polite, friendly and go out of their way to be helpful.
Up and down the coast there is a good range of interests to suit most people, so Thornwick is an excellent base if you like to get out and about. I can't recommend Thornwick too highly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ShirleyH211
ThornwickBay, Director of Sales at Thornwick Bay Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Many thanks for your review of our Park - we are committed to putting as much effort as we can in to maintaining the park and striving to improve. Its an easy option to do nothing - but our aim is to keep people coming and enjoy their time with us whether its on holidays or as you have done invest in your own holiday home.
I hope you have many many years of enjoyment in your own caravan here at Flamborough.
Best Wishes.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just back today after staying in a chalet (chalet 6) for a week at a cost of £205 which is very reasonable. First impressions was that it was very basic, rusty but clean fridge, 2 bar electric fire, mismatched 2 seater sofa and chairs. Chalet was advertised as being for up to 6 people, 1 double bed, 2 singles and a bed settee in living room. There was only 3 adults and 1 child in our party so seating was adequate for us but 6 people will struggle to sit comfortably. The seats are ok but after sitting in them for more than an hour they began to feel like they were made of stone, being October we were in most evenings so we experienced this first hand. Electricity is paid for by cards which cost £1.60 per card which gives you 10 kwh. The whole chalet is electric so we used up a fair amount - around £25. We were out all day everyday but in most evenings from around 6 pm.
There were 6 of everything, mugs, knives, forks etc. electric cooker with grill, unfortunately whilst there was a grill pan there was no oven trays and grill pan didn't fit so couldn't use oven. There was a dustpan and brush and a Hoover, but no sweeping brush or mop (floor appeared clean on entry but after our springer had a drink we quickly realised in fact, it was filthy) Having a springer spaniel with us a mop and brush was a must, yes we could drag out the Hoover to clear up the grass cuttings, but grass was generally wet so hoovering it was not the best option. A quick trip to reception sorted this out and a mop, bucket and brush was delivered later in the day so can't fault the quick service. I was actually told that mops and brushes are not supplied generally which is strange when dogs are allowed in the chalets.
The bedrooms had a musty smell to them, pretty dull and dingy, the 40 watt lightbulb did not help matters, no bedside lights, well worn quilts and pancake flat pillows. You supply your own sheets, quilt covers, towels etc. Small wardrobe made out of painted plywood (2 wardrobes in twin room). There is a water tank in double room with no jacket on so heating water was a joke, as, unless you left it switched on it would quickly go cold, again a trip to reception sorted this and one was fitted the same day. I'm told that they will be fitting them to all the chalets eventually, though why in this day and age aren't they already fitted?!! Perhaps it suits their bank balance not to have them fitted!
Bathroom was tiny, no proper sink, just a tiny sink that was too small to do anything other than brush your teeth. Shower cubicle was very small, elbows tended to bang against door when washing hair, I'm only 5'3 so a tall guy might struggle or indeed anyone remotely large. Shower itself was ok, not very powerful but hot and adequate.
On the site itself there are various bars, swimming pool, slot machines and soft play area. We were a little bemused to find that on the Saturday night a Christmas party was in full swing, complete with Santa hats, Christmas tree, decorations and Christmas music piped outside the shop. It was the end of season Christmas party as they close the end of October. We couldn't find a free table so had to sit in the amusement arcade area.
There are plenty of things to do, bingo, bikes to hire, pool tables, slot machines and swimming pool (closed) all have a charge attached to them. The site is massive, over a thousand caravans I would estimate. It is well kept, grass seemed to be constantly being cut! Winter flower displays were being created at the entrance despite it closing shortly. There is also a gym on site and a laundry tho I found that halfway through my drying session the lights didn't work and I had to sit in the dark for 40 mins whilst my clothes dried. The security guy who came to lock up the laundry informed me cheerfully that they knew about it, a note on the door would have been helpful letting customers know they might have to do their washing in the dark if they were there after 6 pm!
Whilst the site have their own caravans and chalets to rent there are loads of vans privately owned that can also be rented direct from the owner.
The surrounding area is beautiful, loads of caves to explore at low tide and cliff paths to walk along.
I should point out that I have been coming to this site on and off since the 70's when it was 2 different sites. Over time the site has evolved into 1 huge site, chalets appear to be in a time warp, having minimal money spent on them whilst the entertainment side has been updated greatly to bring in maximum revenue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Loopers63
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed for a long weekend in a privately owned caravan which was lovely. After staying at a park Dean earlier in the year this was far better and so much more spacious. My five year old son loved it especially the crazy golf at a £1 per person for 2 rounds was a bargain! I stayed with my mum and 5yr old son, and even my mum was impressed and let me tell you she has high standards.
We found it a very convenient base for other places and the fact that you can walk to the end of the site and go straight to the cliffs and a little beach bay was fabulous. We only stayed for 3 days so didnt get chance to sample the entertainment as to be honest I was sure if it was still on in September. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lindsey h
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We stay here every couple of years in their static caravans. We love it because there is children's entertainment on every night. There is a fun pool and in door activitiy areas for kids

It's also a good base for travelling around. Just 10 mins from Bridlington and 40 mins from Scarborough.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Pipdenn
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have been coming here for 3 years now
First time was in a tent ! The way you have your own space fenced off is great !
We then upgraded to a caravan last year and stayed again in the summer this time inviting our friends in their caravan ! They loved the layout too!!
We bring our dog with us as its pet friendly and has some great walks and for more challenging walk down to the beach which is amazing with rockpools and if you get there at the right time seals are that close in the sea you could almost touch them!!! The cafe on the clifftop is very friendly allowing dogs in too
Well what can i say about the entertainment !! Its by far the best site ive been to! Theres 2 adult bars in the evening and a huge clubhouse with fantastic entertainment for the family!! My son and friends son aged between 12-14 had a fab time as theres chillout zones for them and pool tables air hockey amusements a cyber cafe !! They met lots of friends there too so we didnt see them at easter stay !! The pool is big and enjoyable with lots of activities during the day and even the kids club do ranges of activities like drama school then perform on stage on a night !!!!
The supermarket on site has got everything you need and is soooo cheap so you dont have to venture off site at all
It also has a lovely and cheap cafe and chipshop here
Overall it is a fantastic site which i will be visiting every year believe me as its perfect for us !!!!!!
Retirement age we will be purchasing a static here!!!!!! Or a lotto win haha

• Stayed: April 2012