“Cold Beer Hot Soup!”

Cow & Sow Eatery
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 17, 2014

A regular on our eating circuit, friendly service and if you go to eat ask for Steve to cook for you, awesome and knows his stuff.

1  Thank Penny D

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I eat food (usually take out because of special circumstances) from The Cow and Sow on a regular basis. Considering the number of times I have frequented the establishment in the last 5-7 years, minimum once a month, usually more, I can honestly tell you that I have only ever been disappointed once in the food (and that was on a night when there was a special party going on upstairs and the cooks were overwhelmed) in the past 5 years. One other time I had an issue and that went back to a previous manager who is long gone. Yes, sometimes a small item has been missed (like for instance, a side of gravy) but even on the take out, they make a note of it and you next one will be free of charge. In the restaurant it will be brought to you right away. The servers are efficient and friendly. They know that they will make more tips if they perform well and besides that, they are just very nice people. I have never seen a server there who was rude. It would not be tolerated (especially by me!). On really busy nights, one just has to look around to see why the service may not be as prompt. Relax - get the server's attention - have another beer while the cook does his or her best to get your food out asap.
This is not what could be termed as a "fine dining" restaurant and that's just what I like about it. The menu is quite extensive and with the amount of choices it is sometimes hard to make a decision. It's a menu for "real people" with "real food".
If you want "fancy shmancy" this is not the place for you. Jeans, track pants, shorts, suits, everything is acceptable. They must have a rule about shirts and footwear but I have not noticed it. I am not into the high fashion or "must be seen" places. I like the "come as you are" style. There is an outdoor patio (too bad it can't be bigger!) in the summertime and I love it.
They have various entertainments - bands - karaoke, etc., (especially in the nicer weather) and daily lunch and dinner specials. In the winter they have some special entertainment but a lot revolves around the Maple Leaf games. Too bad I am a Montreal Canadiens fan - LOL!
My favourite meals are: 3rd degree chicken wings (perfectly cooked as to how I request), the Beef Dip (or Philly Cheese Steak with Beef Dip - depending on how I am feeling), the fish and chips, the crispy chicken wrap (except that I don't like wraps so I ask them to put it on a bun) and my NEWEST favourite (picked that up last night, yet again) is the Pork Schnitzel sandwich. I asked for it without fries (boy am I glad I did!) and it was HUGE! Not only that, but it was VERY tasty. Served on a large bun with tomato sauce and fried mushrooms....I could not finish it!
If I had one critique, it would be that I would like to see the menu offer a "choice of sides". All sandwiches and most meals come with french fries. I would like to see them offer either some salad, fries, mashed potatoes, coleslaw (that would have been the perfect side for that schnitzel sandwich). onion rings or fried mushrooms. That would make my life complete at "The Cow".
Dicken (owner) - are you paying attention???
The whole menu (and I have worked my way through a lot of it) is really good. Love the French onion soup. As long as you are willing to enjoy yourself without expecting ridiculously overpriced "haute cuisine", this is the place for you! :-)

2  Thank Ann B
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I ate here last summer with my son after boating into fenelon from our cottage.

They have a nice little patio although there isn't any view which is unfortunate in a town surrounded by water.

The food was pretty good and the waitress was very accommodating to my young son and got us a half order of poutine.

All in all I'd go back, shame they aren't on the water though (although not much is in fenelon strangely....)

TC

1  Thank torontocpl
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stop at The Sow and Cow quite often, and always enjoy our lunch there. Staff are very friendly and attentive. Food is what I would call Pub Food, with a wide variety of choices. I had the Chicken Quesadilla last time (two days ago) and it was very tasty. Large portion (for me anyway) so I was able to have it for lunch the next day at home! Just as good as when fresh! Hubby had the liver and onions (I know, blech!) and he really enjoyed it. He said it was cooked to perfection! We wouldn't hesitate to go back to The Cow and Sow. The restaurant is a bit dated and rough, but it is clean!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I went to this restaurant with friends who came up in the fall. We had a little girl with us and the staff provided crayons and paper for her to draw on. The food I found was good but was like aveage pub food