“Sublime perfection”

I Capricci di Merion
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sublime perfection”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I am a little reluctant to write this review as I feel I am like a magician giving away my secrets. But, just returning from 2+ weeks in Italy, I can say our experience at I Capricci di Merion was truly magical, the highlight of our stay. Everything was perfect -- the food, the room, the grounds, the staff. The attention to detail and guest satisfaction is total. I can't find one thing to suggest for improvement. We have traveled extensively and have had a full range of experience. I Capricci di Merion is at the top of our list in every regard. Enjoy, without hesitation, this exceptional experience. You, too, will rave about its charm and grace. Grazie MILLE, Arianna and Stefano!

Room Tip: Every room is wonderful. For romance get one on the top floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank J M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Midlands,UK
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Unfortunately it isn't easy to find first time. However, we took the suggested instructions from another Trip Advisor review which got us there first time. It's location does seem a little at odds with the lovely old building and grounds but it won't disappoint. We found it to be very peaceful both indoors and out,. Our room (Moliere) had a lovely view out to the lake, albeit from a standing point as the balcony is walled. The sparkling stars on the ceiling at night are a lovely innnovative touch. Breakfast is plentiful and sufficiently varied for a continental style. We had dinner in the restaurant several times and each meal was fabulous,even for a vegetarian. As others have said it seems to have a good reputation as non residents came for celebratory meals. The swimming pool area also has nice views and is kept very clean and tidy. The complementary drink at lunchtime is another nice touch. All staff we came into contact with were very helpful and friendly. Almost all spoke good English. It is well placed for driving to many of the Umbrian and Tuscan hilltop towns and of course around Lake Trasimeno. Overall a romantic, relaxing and very enjoyable stay. We would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: If money was no object we would have chosen the room opposite (3rd floor) - more spacious - but we c...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UKTinker
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This year when making arrangements for our annual pilgrimage to Tuscany (Cortona Area), we were discussing places to stay with our Italian friends and they recommended a place a bit off the beaten path in Tuoro sul Trasimemo. Il Capricci di Merion. Please don’t get put off by the words agriturismo on the website. This is an entry level luxury resort with it’s own spa, outdoor pool and beautiful gardens.

On arrival, we were warmly greeted by the staff that could not do enough to accommodate my very fussy wife. Being a slow week at the Inn, they allowed us to tour several rooms and choose the one of our liking. They were all fully equipped with all the features one would expect at an upscale resort, including high thread count linens. All the rooms had en suite bathrooms, some with showers others with tubs and showers. I would recommend you view the rooms on their website and choose which is best suited for you or trust their recommendations.

We decided to have lunch our first day in Capricci di Merion’s picturesque restaurant. The food was all home made and authentic. I would highly recommend that you have at least one meal in house.

Having stayed at many fine Hotels, Inn’s and B&B’s worldwide, We can say that Capricci di Merion is world class and should not be missed on your next trip to Italy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThePhotoGourmet
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband is an Airline Captain and one of our favorite places is Tuscany. We have returned may times but were very lucky when our Italian friends that live in the area recommended I Capricci di Merion this trip. I can't say enough wonderful things about this villa. The property is beautiful, charming and romantic. There is a spa and lovely outside pool. If they don't have it, they will get it for you! The owners Arianna and Stefano and their adorable little girl make you feel right at home as well as the staff. They are all such warm people. They are located right near Lake Trasimeno which you can see from the property and not far from Cortona. They also have a restaurant and we enjoyed a yummy lunch our first day. A lovely breakfast is inclusive that you enjoy overlooking the stunning grounds. The rooms are cozy yet ample in size and all have their own unique personality, some with a balcony. I can't think of anything negative to say just that I was sad to leave and can't wait to return. This is a special place!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbabe737
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We returned last month from our amazing 16 night trip to Italy. We spent
our first four nights at i Capricci di Merion. This lovely inn is just
actually right in town (which was surprising, since from the photos on
the website, it looked like it was in the remote country), but felt
somewhat isolated because of the landscaping and views of the lake in
the distance.

We checked in and were shown our room, the Puccini Room, which was a
very pretty suite on the second floor. It had a small sitting
area/kitchen, a bedroom with a wood burning fireplace, and a bathroom
with a big jacuzzi tub (but no shower, which was really the only
negative about this room). The room also features a “star filled sky”
ceiling, which we discovered when we turned out our lights the first
night. Very romantic.

The hotel has built a spa facility on the ground floor of the house
which showcases a beautiful jacuzzi, sauna, and rain shower system.
Couples can reserve the whole area to themselves for an hour at a time
for no charge. We were able to snag a free hour and relaxed in the
jacuzzi for a while on our first day.

The dining area of this inn is beautiful at night, colorful upholstered
chairs, soft lights, and a harpist completes this romantic experience
(though my husband expressed some uneasiness with the pop leanings of
the harpist's repertoire)! And the food was wonderful. We ate there on
our first night, and enjoyed our meal immensely. The strawberry risotto
was amazing!

Breakfast each day consisted of meats, cheese, pastry, fruit and cereal.
It was included in the incredibly low price of our room, 180 euro a
night, but did get a bit boring after about the third day.

From Tuoro as our base for four days, we visited Montefalco, Deruta,
Assisi, Perugia, Gubbio and Cortona, as well as going on a truffle
hunt/cooking class in nearby Citerna.

Besides the lovely meal we had at Capricci di Merion, we also enjoyed
dining at il Teatro in Tuoro, L’Alchimista in Montefalco, L’Antico
Forziere near Deruta (one of the best meals of the entire trip), and La
Bucaccia in Cortona. We’ve done an entire day-by-day trip report which
give a lot more information about the towns and restaurants we visited,
which you can see here: http://willtravelforfoodandwine.blogspot.com/

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cg0994
Walnut Creek
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Loved our 4 nights here. This hotels oozes with charm and history. We stayed on the top floor in the Moliere room. The bathroom was clean and modern (just wish there was more counter top space, but that's a challenge in most European hotels.) Our bed was comfortable and our balcony was private. We had a view to the lake, but only if we stood up. There's a lift to take you upstairs and a nice spa area on the 1st floor. (Hot tub, sauna, programmable shower and solarium, i.e. tanning booth?) You request private time in the spa area with the staff. (They can also arrange for a masseuse.) What a hard working staff they have, too! We were particularly impressed by Michael, who waited on us during dinners and checked us out in the evening (early flight out of Rome the next morning.) Breakfast was amazing with breads/pastries/cakes baked on site, meats, cheeses & yogurt. However, as good as breakfast was, dinner was even better! One of our all around best meals! Dining area is so romantic. This would be a lovely place to spend your honeymoon or anniversary. To be honest, however, I was a little disappointed by the location when we first drove up. I think I had it in my mind that it was more secluded. Don't let me detract anyone from staying here because of that. It is outside the old part of the Tuoro and is super peaceful and quiet. It does have neighbors in the back of the hotel behind the yard and pool area, however, so it's not completely isolated as I somehow had in my mind from their website. The town of Tuoro sul Trasimeno is very close to the Tuscan border, so we were able to explore Cortona & Montepulicano easily and it a quick drive to Assisi and the other hill towns of Umbria. The A1 connector is maybe 2 miles away, so it makes touring easy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WCOttav
California
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Charming. Beautiful. Picturesque. Quaint. Attentive. Romantic. Relaxing. Panaromic. Peaceful. Pampered. Helpful. Friendly.
Tried to sum up this place in one word, but it was impossible. My husband and I loved this place and would return in a heartbeat. The staff was so very accomodating and helpful. Francesca helped us with day trip ideas and was fluent in English. The views from this hilltop were beautiful. I highly recommend this hotel for relaxation, romance, and beautiful views. And the building itself is so very charming. Absolutely loved this hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Alla Posta dei Donini
Alla Posta dei Donini
#1 of 2 in San Martino in Campo
Relais La Corte dei Papi

Been to I Capricci di Merion? Share your experiences!