“Un bel posto nel mezzo del niente” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“Un bel posto nel mezzo del niente”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The city itself offers basically nothing but this place has it all : nice atmosfere and people, cheap prices (considering the average price of Finland) and delicious dishes with so much choice between fish and meat. Approved!!!

• Visited July 2013

• Finnish first
Kansas City, Missouri
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food was good.. not overwhelmingly filling. Service was average. All the dishes were lacking on the meat aspect.

Visited June 2013
Aledo, Illinois
“Enjoyed the Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the setting once inside. I thought the outside was a little rough. I'm not a bar scene guy and the street level dining room in the bar. I wondered if I was going somewhere I really did not want to go. The edge was taken off when I saw a ~6yr old girl coming up the stairs with her parents from the basement. If it was family friendly for a 6yr and family, I'd be fine!
The basement also has a bar, but asking the tender if I came to the right level confirmed I was where I wanted. The restaurant is in the basement. There were 3 parties in a narrow horse-shoe shaped, segmented dining room. The room I sat in, the 'main' room by the entry, is moderately lit, artfully decorated, and had no heavy smells. Indeed each table was set with a premuim paper napkin, stem-ware glasses and a real, maroon tulip in a glass vase.
I suppose the translation of the menu to english was perhaps a bit short, but honestly how would I know!? I had to ask if the menu dinners came with anything or just the one item. The menu is extensive steak, fish, chicken, pasta, vegetarian, sandwiches, etc.
I had an open face sandwich. Presentation was superb. Portions were more than enough to simply replenish; I was completely full! Price was right were I'd expect for the dish in a similar American establishment. But this is in Finland were the McD value menu is a 2 euro menu. Therefore, I have to say I nearly stole my food: 16+euro for the large sandwich, a side and a Pepsi. Steaks were 20e for 150g or ~25e for 250g. Fish was between 18 and 22, chicken mainly 16-22 with one plate at 12 (April 2013).
I went ~3:30 in the afternoon on a Sunday. Wait time for my food was 5 mins. OK, I didn't count, but it was surprisingly short, that is the point. By the time I left, the dinner patrons were starting to arrive. It was good to see more folks in the restaraut with me.
The only negatives are minor, a small chip in the base of the stemware and I got the only table with the table lamp that was not on.
The restaraunt was moderately recommended to me by a local. As a foreigner, I would definitely recommend it to other foreigners; on a business trip, with friends, with a "significant" friend or for a stylish family evening out.

• Visited April 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I can see by the review numbers the people of hyvinkaa are shy and yes they are, i have been coming here since 1988 on and off and i visited again january and i still find it very good, there is a great array of beers from around the world, the bar staff are friendly and the restaurant downstairs is great, so come on you spoiled people of hyvinkaa, get writing

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hyvinkaa, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Medicin Man”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

In front of the door, there is cafe, or, what it looks like, a bar. There's a nice restaurant in the cellar. Foods of the menu are from popular finnish TV shows. The menu is wide-ranging and there's everything from pasta to sandwiches.

1 Thank Tuomas O