We decided to stay here on the strength of the other review posted - sounded like a good birding spot convenient to Tocumen - easy way to end our long trip to Panama. Had a driver pick us up from Allbrook airport and deliver us to the lodge.
On the plus side, it is definitely a good birding area. We walked all around this totally residential neighborhood and saw lots of interesting birds. We also walked some distance down the long path that is ultimately in Chagres Natl Park. (Saw a violaceous trogon there - gorgeous bird). Had a nice chat with the very nice owner at dinner. The two staff members could not have been more accommodating. So basically we enjoyed our stay.
Think owner is struggling to maintain this family property while also working and spending time in the city. Work remains to be done. Property could use more upkeep/maintenance. Our room, while large and comfortable - with comfy bed and nice outside space, was oddly decorated. The spacious grounds with beautiful trees could use some more work too - if only to clear out some of the old furniture rusting in place out there. It's a shabby chic kind of place.
The 40 or so year old development where the lodge is located is very quiet. Apparently it was the first of the developments in Cerro Azul. Now there are fancier ones higher up. About half of the houses in the neighborhood are vacant - either for the season or -forever. Some owners have apparently just walked away. Others are for sale. The other half of the development's houses are lovely and well maintained.
While we were prepared for it to be quiet up there (and were rather looking forward to it), we were a bit spooked to realize we'd be alone at the inn on our last night - with just a single staffer (though he couldn't have been more accommodating).
I'd recommend this lodging for folks looking for a peaceful day or two of birding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hostal Casa de Càmpo is an old family property located outside the mainstream tourism areas, in Las Nubes, Cerro Azul, a secluded and very silent area with nature and beautiful birds surrounding the property. Sometimes you may be our only guest! If you do not enjoy a solitary getaway, and a very small operation, this place is not for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Hostal Casa de Campo Country Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Casa De Campo Country Hotel Cerro Azul
- Hostal Casa De Campo Country Inn And Spa
- Country Inn Cerro Azul
- Cerro Azul Country Inn
- Hostal Casa De Campo Country Inn & Spa Panama/Cerro Azul