“went for drink - had lunch and then dinner!”
Review of The Swallowtail

The Swallowtail
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the Marina at Burnham, the restaurant at The Swallowtail restaurant and bar offers a varied menu serving high-quality food and wines to suit all budgets. Whether you are looking for a light lunch or a delicious dinner our Chef's can cater for your requirements. Add this to our wonderful views of the River Crouch and you won't be disappointed.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Originally we were just going for a drink, but having seen others food emerging, decided to stop for a sandwich. Well, I don't think they could have got another prawn into the sandwich - it was delicious and so were the fat chips! Went back for dinner the following night - restaurant quite busy and they had a minor crisis in the kitchen. We were duly asked if we would like a drink on the house and apologies for the wait (I didn't think it was that long....) More apologies from other members of staff later on ,but I really didn't think we had to wait that long! However, being kept informed was a bonus! Wonderful king prawns in garlic.... great steak! I will most certainly come back! Excellent members of staff, who really do care about their clients. All credit to them.

lisa p, Owner at The Swallowtail, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for your recent posting and positive feedback. So glad that you enjoyed your experience with us; I will of course pass on your kind comments to our Staff.

We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the Marina. Kind regards

Lisa

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order 1988
Good Morning,
My wife and I visited your bar yesterday afternoon for a drink and my wife ordered a Martini and lemonade - the lady behind the bar was insistent that Martini is served in 25 ml measures and checked this with her manager, who also confirmed this was the case - this is not correct since Martini is always served as 50 ml - it is not classed as a spirit, in the same way that Baileys, Sherry are - clearly if this is your policy then you are seriously overcharging your customers and I would urge you to re-check the weights and measures act.
You may also wish to send your staff on a course in customer relations!
Yours,
John

Dear John
Many thanks for your e-mail that has been passed to me by my Assistant, regarding your visit to The Swallowtail yesterday.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the error that was made by our bar staff. Yes, you are quite right in that a Martini should be served as a 50 ml measure and I am most disturbed that this mistake was made. It is unacceptable that not one, but 2, senior members of my staff made such an error. It goes without saying that I will be speaking to them both when they are back on duty and I duly note your comments relating to customer relations, and this will be passed on accordingly.
I am very sorry if you and your Wife were upset and your afternoon was spoilt. Should you choose to return to The Swallowtail in the future, please make yourself known to either myself or Megan Hill (my Assistant) and we will ensure that you are given a complimentary round of drinks.
Kind regards
Lisa Pugh
Proprietor - The Swallowtail @ Burnham Marina

1  Thank 307John307

Dear John

I was very surprised to see that you had posted my response on Trip Advisor after you had originally contacted me by e-mail and I had subsequently responded by the same means of communication. I can only assume that you felt that you needed to voice your concerns to a wider audience.

Hopefully, readers of TA will recognise that it was a genuine mistake for which I have apologised. We are not in the business of ripping people off and my Staff do not need to "be watched", as I am sure that our very many loyal and regular customers will testify to.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was recommended this lovely little gem of a restuarant and in so glad I listened! Warm welcome ( even tho we were a little late due to wheelchair issues!!) v good food at an excellent price. Waitress was especially nice to my 7 year old daughter. It was a special lunch out and the perfect place to have it! I only wish that it had been there when I lived on burnham on crouch 18 years ago!!

lisa p, Owner at The Swallowtail, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you so very much for taking the time out to post your review. It was a pleasure to serve your party and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and meal. I will pass on your comments to our Staff and in particular to our lovely Waitress that looked after your table. We look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in Burnham. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I would just like to say a very big thank you to the staff who looked after us yesterday lunchtime at Swallowtails. Our party of 16 arrived to welcome familys members over from Aruba. We didn't intend on eating so hadn't booked . However when we arrived the seating area had been partioned off off with a few tables set for lunch as there was a function going on in the evening. These tables were full and l was concerned as being a large party there was no space to socialize. I needn't have worried. After a word with one of the waitresses within 10mins a seating area had been been set up for us complete with tables in the partioned off area. We were made to feel really welcome and indeed it felt like we had booked our own private booth. We were served in this area so we didn't even have to go to the bar, The food we had was excellant and the service absolutely top class. Personally we have always had excellent service and food since the restaurant has been taken over and would like to say a big thank you to evryone for making our afternoon special.

lisa p, Owner at The Swallowtail, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have passed your kind comments onto our staff and in particular to Megan, my Assistant, who took care of your request and was responsible for looking after your party on Saturday lunchtime. As you know, she was very busy on Saturday getting ready for our Events Night that evening, but she always goes that extra mile in providing our customers with excellent service. I am pleased that your party enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 31, 2012

What a wonderful New Year’s evening we all enjoyed at this 5 star venue..!!!
Well done once again Lisa and her team of dedicated staff did us proud once again, right from the guys in the Kitchen, led by top Chief Keith, who served an amazing 4 course meal, to the girls with never ending smiles with the service they bring to every table, and Lisa and Martin who work tirelessly to ensure all runs smooth as silk…!!
It was refreshing to see, that the management, after the excellent meal that was served, and we were on coffee, took the microphone from our very good DJ, and brought out all the kitchen staff, and the waitresses, and bar staff, so they could all receive a heat felt round of applause which I think I speak for everyone there was very well dissevered, what great management skills were displayed, I have always said this is the best venue in Essex, and never was that more obvious to anyone than at the Swallowtail last night.
Thank you guy’s for all you do, I sometimes read some comments that are less than gracious, but as a great man once said….. And I quote..!!
“You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all the people all of the time”
See you all soon
Happy new year to you all
Terry & Nicola… (Local residents fortunately)..xx

lisa p, Owner at The Swallowtail, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank You so very much for your lovely feedback comments. I'm so pleased that you had a good time and enjoyed the evening - we did too!! We are very fortunate to have a great Team working with us and they all worked incredibly hard over the Christmas and New Year period. We are very privileged to have lots of loyal customers and it is our pleasure to provide you with the best service that we can. Thank you for your support since we took over and look forward to seeing you soon x