The arrogant and ignorant owner was given repeated opportunities to assist several long-term guests with the niggles that crop up. Despite this and the fact that a consensus had develpoed amongst several regular guests he decided that he knew better and that as we hadn't actually moved out, it couldn't really be that bad.
If you read the positive reviews, remember they were only for 1 or 2 nights. If you read the negative review about the breakfast, then "Joke" would be generous. It is self-service from a mixed, varied and inconsistent collection of cereals and yoghurts. Poorly stocked and maintained at times and if even slightly busy then coffee runs out quickly. (Domestic 10-cup filter machine).
The noise from the upstairs rooms (and I've stayed in all of them) is loud either from the street or the bar, or both.
The rooms outside are cold in Winter and if you get the one next to the kitchen then the compressor and the other noise will definitely keep you up.
The car park is tiny and is regularly half taken by staff cars.
Some of the bar/kitchen staff are great and very helpful. The owner is not.
I hope if you stay you enjoy your time. I stayed for many months before finally seeing sense and deciding that the owner couldn't be bothered to make changes in a sensible time-scale, and once he had made some of the necessary changes, he intended to "review" the room rates!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oyster Smack Inn is a charming local restaurant with rooms, built in the 1800’s. The building is full of character and sets the scene for an outstanding and extremely popular local inn. Owned and run by chef patron Trevor Howell and his wife Claire, the pub has become the first port of call for those seeking excellent food in friendly, relaxed and stylish surroundings. The newly decorated dining room and bar are both classic and timeless, the coastal shades of the decor providing a serene backdrop to the dining experience. Wooden floors and hand-made furniture all work to create a feeling of quiet elegance. The coastal location means that The Oyster Smack Inn can take full advantage of the freshest of seafood and our menu utilises this to full effect. The team in the kitchen are passionate about using the finest produce from local suppliers. Changing seasonally, our dinner menu offers the best of modern British food whilst your favourite classic pub dishes can be found on our lunch menu. Whether you are looking dine out with family and friends or to entertain clients, at The Oyster Smack Inn you can celebrate a very special occasion or simply pop in for a light snack - our kitchens are happy to oblige, whatever your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your The Oyster Smack Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oyster Smack Hotel Burnham-On-Crouch
- The Oyster Smack Inn Burnham-On-Crouch, Essex