We stayed at the Oyster Smack Inn as, like a lot of guests, we were in Burnham on Crouch for a wedding.
Rather than being a dedicated hotel, the Oyster Smack is a popular restaurant/bar, with some rooms within the building, as well as a few chalets at the rear.
Our chalet room was a good size, with a comfortable double bed, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, a bathroom with a stand-alone shower (no bath) as well as a flat screen TV. Unfortunately, the room didn’t have any windows, with the only natural light coming from a skylight, meaning we were woken up by the sunlight early in the morning.
Although it was only early September, we found the temperature in the room at night to be quite cold. There was a wall radiator, but as the central heating was off, it wasn’t of any use.
There were also a few minor housekeeping points that were missed, such as papers from previous guests left in drawers, and used contact lenses in a corner of the room, but the room was otherwise fairly clean.
The included breakfast, which I was looking forward to given the Oyster Smack’s good reputation, was disappointing. The continental selection was poor, with just a few packets of bread, butter, jam, yoghurt, cereal and a few fruits. After we were seated, the waitress approached and asked what we would like, but weren’t offered a menu or informed of what was actually available! We just asked for a “cooked breakfast”, as we knew they offered a cooked option. It’s a shame they charge an additional £7 for this, I think maybe just having a breakfast menu and allowing guests to select an item, included in the room rate, would be a better approach.
On the positive side, the bar staff were polite and professional, and were happy to have a chat and inform us about the local area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oyster Smack Inn is a charming local restaurant with rooms, built in the 1800’s. The building is full of character and sets the scene for an outstanding and extremely popular local inn. Owned and run by chef patron Trevor Howell and his wife Claire, the pub has become the first port of call for those seeking excellent food in friendly, relaxed and stylish surroundings. The newly decorated dining room and bar are both classic and timeless, the coastal shades of the decor providing a serene backdrop to the dining experience. Wooden floors and hand-made furniture all work to create a feeling of quiet elegance. The coastal location means that The Oyster Smack Inn can take full advantage of the freshest of seafood and our menu utilises this to full effect. The team in the kitchen are passionate about using the finest produce from local suppliers. Changing seasonally, our dinner menu offers the best of modern British food whilst your favourite classic pub dishes can be found on our lunch menu. Whether you are looking dine out with family and friends or to entertain clients, at The Oyster Smack Inn you can celebrate a very special occasion or simply pop in for a light snack - our kitchens are happy to oblige, whatever your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your The Oyster Smack Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oyster Smack Hotel Burnham-On-Crouch
- The Oyster Smack Inn Burnham-On-Crouch, Essex