“Another very much missed vidit”

Dorset Heavy Horse Farm Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Verwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Dorset Heavy Horse Farm Park offers a balanced educational and fun day out for all ages from todlers to grandparents. Enjoy facinating daily talks and tours delivered with passion! Free Heavy Horse Wagon rides, Tractor and trailer rides and even the chance to drive a real farm tractor, plus much more including pony rides pony grooming and pet handling sessions throughout the day. Explore exhibits from days gone by freddies blacksmiths, gypsy caravans and showmens collection.Children can let off steam in the undercover go cart arena, drop slide barn or on the pedal tractors and adventure play area. Enjoy home cooked food in the cafe set amongst a backdrop of splendid scenery.Lots undercover in case the weathers not so good, Your visit helps provide a permanent home for over 25 rescued Heavy Horses.
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Lovely day again, been unable to go for 6 or 7 weeks so it was lovely to go again we missed it my little grandaughter loves it too well worth a visit and hello to owners and staff

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to the Heavy horse centre a few weeks back, before the schools all broke up, as our kids are 3months, 2 and 4, and not at school yet and the sun was shining. What a great idea as the centre only had around 15 visitors that day and us. So we pretty much had the place to our selves. We arrived around 10:30ish and were the last ones out at around 5:30ish. We loved it and the kids had so much fun, we took a picnic with us as we were worried about how the prices at some of these attractions can be extortionately high. However we were pleasantly surprised as not only was there a place for us to eat our lunch but the prices were reasonable and it was ice creams all around with a pleasant area to sit and enjoy the break after lunch. The coffee shop served light bites, cakes etc at very reasonable prices. The staff couldn't do enough for us to make our stay enjoyable, and we were encouraged to make request if there was something we wanted to do and was not set up. Our kids loved feeding the animals and getting up close with some of the smaller ones in the petting area, and despite what some of the other reviews say on this site, the animals are very well looked after and in great conditions. I'm no expert but the horses all had their own stable got plenty of food and seemed very happy. They also got put out to pasture during the day, I mean what more does a horse want? We loved it, but our family is young and I could understand if you had older kids how it might be a little boring for them, particularly if they are part of the constant media age of games, big rides and video entertainment etc! This place is good old fashioned enjoying the outdoors, horse and cart rides, tractor driving and rides and being in a beautiful setting enjoying the fresh air at one with nature. If you don't like the reality of this and require something more stimulating then you best stay away and give your money to the corporations of the world, at Alton Towers or Thorpe Park where they not only rip you off on everything, but they even charge you for the privilege of being ripped off, by making you pay for the car park! The heavy horse centre is a charity, recuse centre and most of the money they make, if any, goes back into the centre. Some of the things there are a little tired but with more visit from you it can only get better. Excellent day out.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Last day of our holiday, kids tired and fractious, we'd spent days (and too much money!) at other local attractions (sealife centre, farmer palmers and the like) so I was just looking for a couple of hours' distraction on the way home.

6 hours later, both kids (6 and 4) were still having lots of fun and learning a huge about horses almost by accident. My 6 year old, admittedly horse-mad, daughter had just told me it was the best day of the holiday. I'd guess over 9s might find it a bit dull unless there were keen on horses but it was perfectly judged for my two.

It's a fairly small place, would probably feel crowded with more than 100 people. There were around 50 visitors today on a summer holiday Saturday, and about 6 staff meaning there was always someone around to help. There is a timetable for the major talks and tractor rides (basically the things that the owner does himself) but most other stuff seems to be available if you just ask. This means you avoid the scrums and queues of many other places.

The whole place feels low key, fairly uncommercial, yes slightly tired in places but clean and safe - even has proper coffee!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

From the moment we arrived to moment we left we were made to feel apart of the family! The staff are amazing and really make you feel welcome. The gentleman giving the talks really knows his stuff and is the friendly and refreshing. The children's play area is brilliant, my girls were on and off the bouncy castle, fair ground ride, go karts, tractor and pony rides all day. I have never been to an attraction before where I have lost the sense of time! The day went so quickly, we didn't want to leave so..... I bought a family season ticket :):) we are going back next week!! So educational for my young children. Thank you to all the lovely staff there!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

As a lover of animals, we wanted to support the great work carried out here. The horses are rescue horses and have had previously awful life's.
we took a horse and carriage ride, followed by a tractor and trailer ride. Spent loads of time, stroking and feeding the horses.
The owner is a great character, and had plenty of knowledge to share with everyone.
Nice cafe also, with friendly staff.
I recommend a visit.