“a great experience but don't go for wildlife”

Tariri Amazon Lodge
Reviewed September 25, 2013

A wonderful family run lodge on a quiet part of the Rio Negro. It feels like you are further into the jungle than you actually are then you realise that there aren't many birds or monkeys around suggesting the presence of humans around. Comparisons with the Pantanal are unfair but there was far more wildlife when we went to the Rio Napa in Ecuador. Treat this as an Amazon experience rather than a wildlife experience and you will have a great time. The excursions are varied and interesting and you will have plenty of time for lying around in hammocks. I did find it a little odd that when going on jungle hikes the lodge's 2 dogs ran on ahead no doubt scaring anything off that happened to be around. The remains of an armadillo suggested that a jaguar or other big cat had been in the vicinity so more stealth and patience was probably required. That said we did see sloths, caiman, squirrel monkeys, the occasional osprey and some egrets and herons. The hospitality was first class and the food was fabulous - the best I ate in Brazil. However if you don't like fish you will have a problem as choices are limited and fish is abundant. Watch out for the Yellow and blue macaw and the two parrots that try to pinch your breakfast! The huts are clean but basic but that all adds to the amazon authenticity. No mosquitos!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The warmest reception we have received in Brazil! The lodge is a family business and is the vision of hosts Fabiola and Germano. It is set amongst the banks of the river in complete peace and tranquility. The lodgings are wooden huts on stilts with fully functioning bathrooms, showers and comfortable beds.

The food is served three times daily and is amongst the best we had while in Brazil, all lovingly hand made by Fabiola and her team.

Activities arranged by the exceptional tour guides include piranha fishing, a jungle walk, caiman spotting at night, a visit to a local village and many trips along the river in motorised canoe boats. And there is plenty of time to relax on a hammock and take in the views!

Admin was great and very efficiently dealt with by Mabel, Fabiola's sister. We were picked up at our hotel in Manaus and taken by car and boat to Tariri.

On the way back Mario the driver and guide even arranged for us to see the meeting of the waters which is about 20 minutes by boat from the port in Manaus.

Overall the level of service was excellent, everyone went out of there way to make it an unforgettable experience. We would recommend Tariri to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were here for our honeymoon and had an incredible time. I'm sure there are more "authentic" ways to take in the Amazon, but for those with no experience of the place will find it a good gateway to richer adventures in the region. What you get is extremely fulfilling. Germano and Fabiola make a great wife-husband team, the tours being very helpful and well-organized and the meals delicious. It's a place to just take in the whole Amazonian setting while perhaps not straying too much out of your comfort zone. The first few days you'll just be laying on a hammock in awe of where you are. It's that impressive.

Yes, some things like the dolphin tours and Facebook-photo-fodder alligator tours are touristy and perhaps not very respectful of nature, but we enjoyed them and I suppose if you want businesses to thrive in the area there's a balance to be struck. Our presence alone is intrusive, after all, and I don't know what sort of illusions we can have about travelling thousands of kilometers somewhere and thinking we're not affecting anything. I didn't get the impression of having left the place in a worse state than I found it, it was a rich and fulfilling experience.

A stay in the Amazon (especially if you've never been there before) is, for a lack of a better term, life-changing. And I can't recommend Tariri Lodge enough. Germano and Fabiola, thank you so much, hope you enjoyed the Swiss chocolates. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Tariri was exactly what we needed - beautiful surroundings, plentiful, delicious food, relaxed, varied, and interesting activities, no phone, internet, television...Reminded me so much of Maine lake lodges where I vacationed as a child, even down to the dinner bell, just reinterpreted for the Amazon. Germano and Fabiola have done an incredible job creating the Tariri experience, especially considering the challenges of living where they do. We learned so much about life on the river, life in the forest. We hiked the forest, learned about survival, canoed the igapós, saw sloths, monkeys, caimans, and toucans, fished for piranhas, talked to farinha makers and boat builders, ate tambaqui, tucunaré, and pirarucu, tasted ingá and cupuaçu, and thoroughly enjoyed sitting after dinner with Fabiola and Germano and hearing about their journey.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our adult family of five recently had wonderful stay at Tariri. We were all impressed with the lodge, activities, food and our hosts. As genuine an experience you can achieve staying in the Amazon. Well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Tariri lodge is clean and peaceful, though I wish it were a little more remote. The first night I was looking forward to sleeping to the sound of jungle noises, but instead I had to hear the music from a party across the lake. Fortunately it ended early, and later that night I swear I heard a jaguar roar. The rest of the nights were peaceful, though I preferred it before the big group with children came on my last night there.

When I made the reservation via email, I was assured that it would be no problem to accommodate my vegan diet because they would customize meals for me. I don't think they had been informed of this at the lodge, however, though it wasn't generally a problem except for one night (my last), when a big group had arrived. That night all that was available to me was rice and slice of avocado. The other days I ate well at lunch and dinner, lots of couscous and veggies and cassava things, only fruit for dessert - no goodies specially prepared. Breakfast was always just fruit and bread since all of the special items were made with dairy. What I did have, however, was always really delicious, local, and varied. I'm sure if you're not a vegan you will be even more satisfied with the food.

I spent a lot of time resting and reading in a hammock. I was delighted that there are no mosquitoes! I didn't get one bite and I even stopped using repellent. Oddly, there is a lack of big scary bugs there. I guess they don't like the black water.

The other guests went off on the optional "Dolphin interaction" tour for an extra cost. This is a bad idea. Dolphins can contract diseases from humans. More and more scientists are learning about this: Just recently a huge group of bottle nose dolphins died of measles, washed up dead on shore in New Jersey.The population of pink river dolphins in the Amazon is declining rapidly due to pollution and the expansion of urban areas into their territories. Close human contact like this is exploitative and dangerous for the dolphins! Furthermore, it's unnecessary. You will see dolphins!! I saw them jump out of the water and one flipped happily on his side beneath the setting sun! There is joy in just watching them. I wish this lodge, like all the others I'm sure, wouldn't perpetrate this kind of activity. It is not a good idea to feed or touch them. Please think twice before supporting such a practice.

This disrespect of nature was also apparent on the "cayman spotting" trip at nightfall. One of the guides jumped in the water to grab a small cayman which he proceeded to manhandle for the next ten minutes while Germano pointed out her physical features - her toes, skin etc... thereby causing great distress to the animal. At one point several people in the boat shrieked because it looked like Germano was going to twist her neck. When they finally returned her to the water on a life vest, she was in shock and wouldn't move. Someone had to throw something on top of her to get her to take off. This disturbed me. Seemed a little odd since somewhere in my communication with the lodge, it was communicated that they "Respect the laws of nature."

Depending on who's there and how long you stay, you're likely to spend lots of time reading in a hammock. For this reason especially, the lodge's lack of reading material was surprising. I would've appreciated a few books about the local flora and fauna. I wish I could've spent some of my free time learning to identify the local birds, but they don't even have binoculars there.

Don't mean to be too negative. All in all I was pleased with my stay, especially since I really wanted to just get away from the States to someplace where there is no internet. I was forced to rest and that is what I did. In addition, I got to see two monkey species, a sloth, an agouti and signs of a jaguar. I learned to row in the lake, and I learned that I love that black water. It's so mysterious and like a mirror.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Michelle K
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Going into the Amazon has been a dream since I was young, and the Tariri Lodge was the perfect setting. The lodge itself is comfortable and clean, but it's Germano and Fabiola that make this place what it is.
Germano tailored the trips for what we wanted and even took us to this beautiful white sand beach where we slept overnight in hammocks and cooked fresh fish on a fire watching the sun set.
Fabiola's food was delicious, and if she doesn't put them out for dessert ask about her home made truffles! So good!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Iranduba
Cirandeira Bela
Cirandeira Bela
#1 of 35 in Manacapuru

Been to Tariri Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!