“Congratulations to Germano, Fabiola, and the team!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amazon River
Tariri Amazon Lodge
Sao Goncalo do Rio das Pedras, MG
“Congratulations to Germano, Fabiola, and the team!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Tariri was exactly what we needed - beautiful surroundings, plentiful, delicious food, relaxed, varied, and interesting activities, no phone, internet, television...Reminded me so much of Maine lake lodges where I vacationed as a child, even down to the dinner bell, just reinterpreted for the Amazon. Germano and Fabiola have done an incredible job creating the Tariri experience, especially considering the challenges of living where they do. We learned so much about life on the river, life in the forest. We hiked the forest, learned about survival, canoed the igapós, saw sloths, monkeys, caimans, and toucans, fished for piranhas, talked to farinha makers and boat builders, ate tambaqui, tucunaré, and pirarucu, tasted ingá and cupuaçu, and thoroughly enjoyed sitting after dinner with Fabiola and Germano and hearing about their journey.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Terrigal, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our adult family of five recently had wonderful stay at Tariri. We were all impressed with the lodge, activities, food and our hosts. As genuine an experience you can achieve staying in the Amazon. Well worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Tariri lodge is clean and peaceful, though I wish it were a little more remote. The first night I was looking forward to sleeping to the sound of jungle noises, but instead I had to hear the music from a party across the lake. Fortunately it ended early, and later that night I swear I heard a jaguar roar. The rest of the nights were peaceful, though I preferred it before the big group with children came on my last night there.

When I made the reservation via email, I was assured that it would be no problem to accommodate my vegan diet because they would customize meals for me. I don't think they had been informed of this at the lodge, however, though it wasn't generally a problem except for one night (my last), when a big group had arrived. That night all that was available to me was rice and slice of avocado. The other days I ate well at lunch and dinner, lots of couscous and veggies and cassava things, only fruit for dessert - no goodies specially prepared. Breakfast was always just fruit and bread since all of the special items were made with dairy. What I did have, however, was always really delicious, local, and varied. I'm sure if you're not a vegan you will be even more satisfied with the food.

I spent a lot of time resting and reading in a hammock. I was delighted that there are no mosquitoes! I didn't get one bite and I even stopped using repellent. Oddly, there is a lack of big scary bugs there. I guess they don't like the black water.

The other guests went off on the optional "Dolphin interaction" tour for an extra cost. This is a bad idea. Dolphins can contract diseases from humans. More and more scientists are learning about this: Just recently a huge group of bottle nose dolphins died of measles, washed up dead on shore in New Jersey.The population of pink river dolphins in the Amazon is declining rapidly due to pollution and the expansion of urban areas into their territories. Close human contact like this is exploitative and dangerous for the dolphins! Furthermore, it's unnecessary. You will see dolphins!! I saw them jump out of the water and one flipped happily on his side beneath the setting sun! There is joy in just watching them. I wish this lodge, like all the others I'm sure, wouldn't perpetrate this kind of activity. It is not a good idea to feed or touch them. Please think twice before supporting such a practice.

This disrespect of nature was also apparent on the "cayman spotting" trip at nightfall. One of the guides jumped in the water to grab a small cayman which he proceeded to manhandle for the next ten minutes while Germano pointed out her physical features - her toes, skin etc... thereby causing great distress to the animal. At one point several people in the boat shrieked because it looked like Germano was going to twist her neck. When they finally returned her to the water on a life vest, she was in shock and wouldn't move. Someone had to throw something on top of her to get her to take off. This disturbed me. Seemed a little odd since somewhere in my communication with the lodge, it was communicated that they "Respect the laws of nature."

Depending on who's there and how long you stay, you're likely to spend lots of time reading in a hammock. For this reason especially, the lodge's lack of reading material was surprising. I would've appreciated a few books about the local flora and fauna. I wish I could've spent some of my free time learning to identify the local birds, but they don't even have binoculars there.

Don't mean to be too negative. All in all I was pleased with my stay, especially since I really wanted to just get away from the States to someplace where there is no internet. I was forced to rest and that is what I did. In addition, I got to see two monkey species, a sloth, an agouti and signs of a jaguar. I learned to row in the lake, and I learned that I love that black water. It's so mysterious and like a mirror.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Michelle K
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Going into the Amazon has been a dream since I was young, and the Tariri Lodge was the perfect setting. The lodge itself is comfortable and clean, but it's Germano and Fabiola that make this place what it is.
Germano tailored the trips for what we wanted and even took us to this beautiful white sand beach where we slept overnight in hammocks and cooked fresh fish on a fire watching the sun set.
Fabiola's food was delicious, and if she doesn't put them out for dessert ask about her home made truffles! So good!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kaunas, Lithuania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was bit afraid when my only daughter Vilte decided to visit Amazon river alone. But after reading reviews i decided to book for her TARIRI. And that was a great decission . Thank You Germano , Fabiola, Mabel , due to all of You she had an excellent time in TARIRI and we didnt need to worry about safety , comfort , activities . I highly recommend TARIRI LODGE to everyone who wants to know Amazon river ,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Tariri lodge was offered all the elements of comfort in a basic manner very fitting with the surrounding enviroment. Combine that with great hosting and interesting activities and you'll find a great place to enjoy the Amazon rainforest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark J
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have no words to describe the hospitality of Fabiola and Germano. They are the owners of the place and also the chef and the tour guide. Her food is healthy, fresh and delicious!!! Germano knows the area and the community so well that he makes you feel safe and welcome in the jungle!!! I've been in Los Angeles for a week now but I have a feelling my energy is still back in the Amazon...Can't wait to go back and take some of my friends and family with me next time!!!
That was an AMAZING vacation!!! Thank you, Tariri Family!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
City Center
Hotel Cuca Legal
Hotel Cuca Legal
#3 of 7 in Presidente Figueiredo

Been to Tariri Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!