“Uninspiring food”

Ranked #4 of 39 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Intimate fine dining serving fresh local seafood in beautiful historic surroundings.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lovely cosy wee restaurant, quite empty for a Friday. The staff were really lovely and genuinely friendly, and made you very welcome.
The presentation of the food was first class but that was it, the taste was very disappointing and quite bland and small portions for inflated prices.
Have had much better.

2  Thank Christine T

Reviewed October 16, 2012

still great and good value, cetainl michelin quaulity food. wine list good and reasonably priced. Nice setting overlooking the harbour just adds to the great atmosphere.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I wasn't too impressed at this restaraunt. I found my meal didn't seem that fresh, my first choice wansn't available and it wasn't fish. The prices are over-inflated because of it's prime spot. I know people who have been there and say it is a wonderful place but it wasn't for me.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

A little more pricey but still a great little restaurant if you love fish!
There are none fish items on the menus so all should be clattered for

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Toll Booth enjoys a superb location overlooking the picturesque Stonehaven harbour. It's been there a long time which in itself is a testimony to its success because it's a small restaurant and depends entirely on its culinary success and reputation. The chap in charge of the tables (he may well be the owner) appears to be a somewhat chippy and pompous little fellow and has a habit of repeating your requests with a patronising sneer: 'Could I have some ice cream with something chocolate?' asked my co-diner. 'Ice cream with chocolate!?!' came the scoffing reply.
It's always tricky to balance professionalism with friendliness, but this chap did seem condescending to say the least. maybe he'd had a bad day. The waitress managed the balance much better.
The portions are very small but generally very good. My associate enjoyed his soup. My fishcakes were indifferent. As main courses with had the fish of the day which was Turbot on a bed of potatoes. It was very good. For dessert we enjoyed chocolate fondant with a yogurt parfait. It was excellent.
Several coffees bumped up the bill but my co-diner was very surprised at how reasonable the bill proved to be.
This is a quality restaurant, not a country pub, so expect to pay up to a hundred pounds for a three course meal for two with wine. We did not have wine.
The food was perhaps a little overcooked, and a little dry, but the main fish course and dessert were very good and I'd commend the Chef on his good work - well done!
Maybe the Maitre d' could smile a bit more, but the waitress was lovely and it's a good place to meet and talk. It's nice and quiet. There is no annoying background music. This is a wonderful thing. I do wish all restaurants were as peaceful as this.
One minor point is that the metal dining chairs are tad small and cold.
After dinner you can enjoy a stroll around the pier and watch the waves roll in. Great!
Overall I enjoyed my evening at the Toll Booth a great deal and I look forward to returning soon!

1  Thank Banus-or-Bust