“Ticks every box!”

Ranked #19 of 39 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Kirktown Garden Centre we aim to take full advantage of this beautiful part of the world we live and work in by celebrating the local. Restaurant: We use local suppliers and even use our own reared Aberdeen Angus where possible. We offer a ever changing menu that has traditional Scottish favorites, homemade soups and sandwiches & great options for kids. On top of this we have a great selections of fresh homemade cakes. Food Shop: Bring the local home with you. We sell our own veg and an extensive selection of our Aberdeen Angus cuts. We also have a wide range of products from other great local producers. Garden Centre: And of course, we are still a garden centre. With a large range of plants and a great team of experts to help you.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Popped in with hubby for some of the local beef from the new butchery section & decided to stay for lunch. So glad we did!
We were promptly seated by welcoming staff & within no time were feasting on our tasty quiche & macaroni cheese. Having sampled the baking before, there was no way we were missing dessert despite being quite full & we weren't disappointed there either.
If there have been teething issues since the refurb then they have certainly been addressed as the whole experiance was a pleasure & we will definately be returning regularly - even signed up for a loyalty card to ensure I get my free cake when my birthday comes around.
I dread what this means for our waistlines :-) but wouldn't hesitate to recommend

1  Thank NStellaJ
There are newer reviews for Kirktown Garden Centre Restaurant

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Called in past for lunch as I had not been since the refurbishment and had the roast beef with new potatoes and veg.It was really very very good and not expensive like some other garden centre restaurants I know! Everything was spotless and my order was taken very promptly by the waitress. The beef was reared on the owners farm I was told and was Aberdeen Angus. Reading some of the other reviews they have now got past their teething problems and are a well organised team with real quality food at hand .

2  Thank capricebar
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went with my husband and son for a bite of lunch. My husband and I both had macaroni cheese, which was creamy, cheesy and tasty. It's the closest I've had to my Mum's home made macaroni cheese outside of my own kitchen.
My son had a coronation panini and judging by the way it disappeared off of his plate, I think it's safe to say he enjoyed it! He fancies himself as a master chef judge, so this is high praise indeed.
Can't wait to go back, especially now they are stocking meat from locally reared cattle.

1  Thank Liz P
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were actually on our way th Cammies in Portlethen when we passed Kirktown and realised we hadn't be en in there since the refurbishment. I wish we had carried on up the road. The restaurant wasn't busy but we still had to wait 15mins for our order to be taken. Our table had not been cleaned properly so we asked for it to be wiped again. The very young waitress went to get a cloth but got sidetracked on the way to our table and never made it back. There was another waitress clearing the table next to ours who left her cloth on the table mid-clean so we ended up cleaning our own table. I seem to remember they used to give out colouring pencils with kids menus but none were offered so we had to entertain our 3 year old daughter for over 20mins until our food arrived. Severe lack of communication among the waiting staff as we were told that there had been a technical error and our order had disappeared off the system. Whilst we were giving it again another waitress arrived with our food. Some of it anyway. There were elements missing from the kids lunchbox and our side orders just weren't there. My pepper quiche from the specials board was average to say the least - I would even go so far as to say tasteless. We ordered coffee and cakes after and they redeemed themselves on the cakes at least even if the did bring a regular coffee instead of a cappuccino. All in all a very disappointing dining experience especially considering how good it used to be.

KirktownGCR, Manager at Kirktown Garden Centre Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Sir / Madam
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us of our short comings, although remember your party coming in I was not fully aware of the experience you had with us. Secondly and more importantly I would like to apologize for the level of service you experienced with us as it is not even close to the standards we strive for.
If you would be so kind as to contact the garden centre
( kirktowngc@eplusmail.com FAO: Duncan)
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly to try and rectify the situation.

Regards
Duncan Gammie
F.O.H Manager

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Went for lunch with my father,sister,daughter and grandson. Two of the meals were ordered without salad but salad came anyway. The Batter on the chicken and fish was uncooked and soggy.We did inform the waitress. We had to ask for our table to be cleared as we had waited rather a long time and my grandson was waiting for his cake and my daughter her coffee. Think I shall just have coffee or tea next time.

Dear Elaine S
I would like to thank you for taking the time to express you feelings about your experience at the garden. May I also start by apologizing for the delay in responding to you.
Your visit to the restaurant was not of a standard we strive for or would expect ourselves and for that I am truly sorry. I have passed on your points regarding the food to the chefs and they also thank you for time and insight.
If you would be so kind as to contact the garden centre:
kirktowngc@eplusmail.com FAO: Duncan
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly reegarding the matter.

Regards