“Couldn't fault the service however the food was a let down”
Review of The Square

The Square
Ranked #19 of 37 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Scottish
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Couldn't fault the service however the food was a let down”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

After a long drive from Edinburgh arrived in Stonehaven 2hrs later (bitterly cold) and feeling peckish there are lots of places in the centre offering food but this was the first to catch our eye the restaurant is in the latter stages of refurbishment and is situated up the stairs we were warmly greeted and promptly served.
On offer were soup of the day medium sized fish and chips and dessert all this for £7.99 ! I also opted for mushy peas on
the side and had a banana smoothly with was the thing I most enjoyed the soup (veg,chicken) was a little over seasoned for my taste little less salt! Served with half a roll that didn't taste of anything then on to the fish and chips oh what a disappointment fish was dry and tasted days old the batter wasn't crisp in was too soft and had a slippery texture and no flavour ! The chips another let down greasy flavourless ! The mushy peas were a strange colour a gray green of the tinned variety .
Pudding only two choices ice cream and apple crumble served with either cream or custard not much variety !another choice at least would of been better . The apple crumble another dissapointment lacking in the flavour department and the crumble department for such a simple dessert it hard to believe they would offer such a poor effort . I can't fault the front of house that was superb but unfortunately they still need to learn to cook !

• Visited March 2014
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review however we are disappointed with ourselves for not meeting your or our own standards. We have taken on board the comments and have made changes to ensure this never happens again.

Aberdeenshire
“NOW CALLED 'THE SQUARE' AND EXCELLENT RESTAURANT SERVICE”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This used to be called 'Sandy's' but since a fire, it has re-opened as The Square.

We were using a discount voucher which gave us two fish suppers with tartare sauce, peas, mushy peas or beans and bread and butter for two for £10! I had booked a table, as it was the night the Christmas Tree lights were being switched on in the square in Stonehaven, and I thought it could be busy. The restaurant is upstairs, and there were three tables of diners when we arrived about 7.30pm - a guy on his own, an elderly couple, and a lady with two children. We had a window table looking over the market square.

The delightful waitress, who I had met when I made the booking, was doing a fantastic job, all on her own - serving everyone with such a pleasant manner, and clearing, re-setting, and cleaning tables continually.

Our Fish and Chips were the best I'd had in many years. The batter was superb, and delicious thick creamy fish, and wonderfully hot food. Good old bread and butter, not something I normally eat, but it really is a traditional part of a fish super tea. I had tea to drink - a generous pot, and my husband had a fresh orange juice. We ate everything, bar a few chips - excellent.

The dessert menu had been too much of a temptation for my husband, and he succumbed to the Raspberry Sundae which was enough for 2...or 3! Having brought us two spoons I managed only three spoonfuls, but it was very good indeed.

By the time we were leaving three others had come in, but it was sad to see such a good fish restaurant so empty, especially when the town had been very busy with the festivities. I hope business will pick up for them, as the food is great, and the service equally as great.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Larsonsmummy
Thank you very much for your kind words. We was actually full before the light switch on, you must have timed it right by coming in after that time. We hope to see you again.
Laurencekirk
“Greasy chips”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Nipped in for a smoked sausage supper. A friend was already in and waited half an hour for chips. When I got mine the chips were really greasy. I'm afraid I wouldn't rush to go back.

• Visited August 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Poor chips”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

8:30 pm Friday . Very poor chips with our Fish Suppers. Disappointed with this usually excellent chippy :-(

Visited July 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Hadn't heard of a roll and fritter...”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

hadn't heard of a roll, fritter and red sauce, but once assembled, it wasn't bad. Scampi was ok, but the homemade tartar sauce raised the bar!

Visited March 2013