“Worth breaking my diet for”

The Bay Fish & Chips
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Excellent fish and chips. The chips were well cooked, nice and crispy and not greasy. The fish is freshly cooked and can be fried in breadcrumbs if required. My fish was brilliant, and very very tasty.

1  Thank Susan S

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The fish was excellent, as was the special of the day, the langoustines.The chips were pretty good, but not the best I tasted compared to other fish and chip places.

The coleslaw and pineapple left something to be desired.

It's only takeout and there are a few benches (but not many) where you can sit and eat.

1  Thank worddict
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What can you say - brilliant fish and chips. only down side is you have to wait a long time as it is so popular

2  Thank AberdeenshireHay
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The food is freshly cooked to order and always top quality. Their fish is the best I have ever tasted and the batter is really light and crisp. The chips are perfect too, they even display everyday what potatoes their chips are being made from.

They pride themselves in selling responsibly sourced fish and it shows, they often have different types for sale that you don't see elsewhere.

There's always a huge que, but it moves quickley so it's worth waiting.

2  Thank judith048
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I moved to England a year ago and we have scoured the island for the best fish and chips. Our journey took us to the little town called Stonehaven (near Aberdeen in Scotland) and right next to the water a little place called The Bay. It was Monday, the line was long (always a good sign!). I ordered a jumbo haddock and my wife a standard one. The minute I opened the box I knew I came to the right place. The fish was a foot long, made to order. I took my first bite and the steam and juices just oozed out of the flesh. Great fish? Indeed. The chips were excellent too (my wife ate all of hers and she is only 5' 4). We would definitely go back there again even though we live in London and Stonehaven is a bit out of the way. The place is seriously into sustainable food which is good/bad because you are not going find cod there, at least at the time when my wife and I were there.