“Hotel in need of total refurbishment - Good Food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belvedere Hotel

Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Stonehaven B&B and Inns
Los Cristianos, Spain
“Hotel in need of total refurbishment - Good Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at a cost of £150 for a double room & breakfast. We in fact booked a double room, but were presented with a very run down twin. The owner, to be fair, changed our room from the second floor to the first floor when I explained because of a small mobility problem, I would hace difficulty climbing two flights of stairs. She said the other room was a twin also, as the people who were staying for a week had been given a double, we were only staying for two nights......But I Booked A Double!!! Why did they not tell me at the booking stage??
The washbasin was in the bedroom, bathroom had shower and toilet only - very inconvenient. The shower was tiny, and I and my average sized large husband had great difficulty getting in and out. We were given only one handtowel between the two of us on both days, we did get two bathtowels - call me old fashioned, but we don't normally share our handtowel.
The taps to the washbasin (in the bedroom) constantly dripped, I found them very difficult to turn off, had to get hubby to do this for me.
No chair of any description in the large bedroom, no residents lounge, only a couple of tables in the bar available to just sit and have a drink, as other tables used for non-residents dining.
The food served was very good, and this is obviously a popular place for local people to eat, and was very busy.
The staff were very pleasant, and the owner did say they were refurbishing as they were going along, BUT I think they are charging far too much for the facilities offered.
Would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: The above rating, please note, there was no swimming pool or room service. Please ensure that when...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra R
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I'm sorry that you weren't satisfied with your stay in our hotel recently, we do endeavor to make our guests feel welcome. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to a few of the points you made: Your booking was made directly through our website, and if you check your automated reservation confirmation (as I have done), you'll note that you did indeed reserve a twin room NOT a double. In our hotel, you get the room type requested, we do not disrespect peoples' choices. Also I think that you've misunderstood my remark regarding people staying a week.... what I said was that the slightly larger of the two TWIN rooms had been allocated to people booked in for the week (the assumption being that they would have more luggage. However, because of your requirements I gave you this room instead of the smaller one upstairs. With regards to pricing, we are average for this area, the local Premier Inn charges £139 per night. I would also like to say that in the 20 months that we've owned the property, we have not only not increased the prices, we have actually reduced the prices of the larger rooms. The bathrooms as you've said are not the best, but they are going to be refurbished this year. Rome wasn't built in a day! We don't have a residents lounge, we don't claim to. Finally, you mention that we don't have a swimming pool (Room tips), I'm afraid I don't know of any two star standard hotels who do, and it certainly isn't listed as one of our facilities on our website. I hope that you find somewhere that better meets your needs on your next trip. Kind Regards Sheila (owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night and enjoyed the pub downstairs. The room was ok but there were no real drapes on the windows to cut out the light so we didn't really have the best sleep. I have to say that the staff and owners were very friendly and there were quite a few "regulars" in the bar. The breakfast was great and made to order so our stomachs were filled when we left the next morning. The hotel is within walking distance to all the shops, restaurants and the bay so the location is excellent.

Room Tip: There is no elevator to you have to hump your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Connie W
Hi, thanks for your review. I'm sorry that no-one offered to carry your bags for you - that's generally what my husband is for! Please accept my apologies. As to your comment re the curtains - this has now been addressed and full curtains put up in the room Regards Sheila
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Have been for lunch twice since the new ownership. The food is fabulous. Top quality restaurant style and very well presented. You can have smaller portions which are quite adequate. I had a smaller main meal of lasagne today at just £5.95 and along with a pudding at £4.95 it made a very cheap meal. I had the apple crumble again as it was so delicious (I attach a photo). It is a most unusual crumble in that the apple is in slices so is soft but still with a bit of firmness, but the crumble sits nicely on top. The first time I visited was with my family who ate a range of dishes and all enjoyed them. The only downside is that the bar area is looking a bit shabby. However I believe that the whole place is under renovation. The view out to the garden is lovely though and as it is now Spring (at last!) it is looking bright and cheerful. It will be nice to sit out there in the summer as there are tables and a smokers corner. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to anyone for a cheap lunch or evening meal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RobRoys
Niel, Antwerpen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were planning on having dinner in another restaurant, but because i had failed to book a table, we ended up at the Belvedere. Ok, the place looks a bit run down, but the food was excellent. My husband enjoyed a nice meat pie, I had a delicious curry chicken balti and my son had a tasty hamburger and chips. We would certainly recommend this place if you want to have a nice, honest meal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Millport18
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Satyed one night on a business trip. Hotel rooms are hard to get anywhere near Aberdeen and consequently are costly for what you get. I paid £75 for a room which would have been no more than £40 elsewhere. Staff were very welcoming. Room was cold when I arrived but quickly warmed up with the radiator turned up. I had the family room which had a strange set up of having the wash hand basin and vanity unit in the bedroom and a separate toilet and shower room. The room was very tired - the whole hotel is tired. There were wall lights above the beds and the bulbs were missing. The bedside light bulb was blown. I moved a light to have one by my bed. I ate in the bar - the bar was absolutely freezing and other customers were commenting on it. I had fish and chips which were absolutely terrific. The best piece of hadddock - huge as well - that I have had for years. There was tean and coffee facilities in the room but no biscuits - really cheapskate.
Would I go back - maybe for one night only and not in the winter unless they can get the bar warmed up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. In response to your comments - we've owned the hotel for just 16 months and have been concentrating on essential repairs up until now. We are planning to begin refurbishing the rooms this year. I've taken on board your comments re the coldness of the bar area and have purchased a portable heater to boost the temperature during this cold spell. Apologies for the blown bulb, housekeeping should have picked that up (wall lights have never worked and will be replaced during refurbishment). I'll also put biscuits in the rooms. I am however delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us. Best Regards
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

It’s not the fanciest B&B ever, but it met all our needs. The breakfast was larger than I expected and very ample. Service was good and the people helpful. I would recomend it if you are in need of a over night stay and want something simple.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I hope that you'll visit us again in the future
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Not the Stonehaven Hilton but good enough. This small hotel/pub does not pretend to be anything other than what it is. Quite adequate. Easy parking at the front. Well located just up the hill from the centre of town. Our room was quite adequate but the picky could find fault. Breakfast was good and cheerful. Has a bit of local personality and is fine for an overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I appreciate your comments and there will be biscuits in the rooms if you visit us again! Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonehaven
Ship Inn
#13 of 28 in Stonehaven
Shorehead Guesthouse
Shorehead Guesthouse
#1 of 28 in Stonehaven

Been to Belvedere Hotel? Share your experiences!