“A+ The Dive Academy A+” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dive Academy

The Dive Academy
Ranked #7 of 17 things to do in Las Galeras
More attraction details
Owner description: Las Galeras' premier Scuba Diving School & Water Sports Adventure centre. English is our first language but we also speak Spanish, French, German, Danish, Swedish and Italian. We offer everything from Try and Tandem Dives to Instructor Courses, guided qualified dives over beautiful corals and the world famous 'The Tower'and Tibisi; all inclusive sailing & water sports day excursions - with skiing, snootering with our DPV's, diving and lunch on a beautiful sail boat to mini Live Aboard breaks. First Class Service with Economy Class Prices. We offer our clients professional and friendly, safe and affordable FUN.
Chicago, Illinois
“A+ The Dive Academy A+”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Paul, Diane and the crew are friendly, knowledgeable and will see that your dive experience is everything you would expect and more. When in Las Galeras , be sure to look them up.

Visited February 2014
tda-adventures, Owner at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hi Peter

Glad you got back home safely and we do hope it isn't too cold for you.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us, we do appreciate all the feedback we get from our divers.

It was great diving with you and I will send you the link to download your pictures and videos.

We do hope you will come back and see us all again soon

All at The Dive Academy.

Aberdeen, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Fronton Experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Dive Academy provides so much more...
than what is provided on a typical tour.
From beginning to end, it was such a blast
The time spent with TDA passed by too fast.
We look forward to seeing you again next year,
For fun in the sun with our snorkeling gear!

We love spending time with the folks at TDA. They provide the most amazing trip to Fronton Beach. Each year we take this trip and every time it is a new and wonderful experience. Diane picked the most perfect day for our trip...thank you, Diane (really missed having you there this year but somebody had to stay back and work), Audrey provided a most delicious meal (prepared right on the beach), and Paul provided the entertainment with his witty remarks as we ll as the torpedo scooter (now everyone wants one of those expensive toys). And what better way to end our day than to come back in the evening to The End of the Road for a quick meal, pictures of our day at the beach, and last but not least, one last conversation with our friends....Paul, Diane and Audrey. Thanks to you all our vacation was complete.

--Wilkersons from the Cove

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Joyce W
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi and Thank you................

Not just for taking the time out to write such a poetic review for us but also for being such good fun. I am very sorry I couldn't be with you on the beach this year too, especially after looking at the pictures and videos!

It is always difficult to ensure good weather but yet again for your trip it was perfect, you obviously have some influence with someone!

A year passes very quickly and it won't be long till we see each other again, in the meantime I will continue searching for 'sea glass' for you Joyce.

Regards and Thanks again for your company

Vienna, Austria
“"Is this my island?!..."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

...Is literally what I asked myself as Playa Frontón (one of our dive sites) and its magnificent cliffs greeted us from a distance. I grew up in the Dominican Republic and I'm still at awe when I think back at all that we saw in Las Galeras!

Summer 2013 I toured around my Island with a group of Austrian friends in the attempt to show them a glimpse of what the D.R. has to offer. We were lucky to find Paul and Diane. They really went the extra mile to make us feel attended to! Diane is lovely and will be happy to give you all the information you need to come to a decision. Paul on the other hand... Well, let's just say Diane keeps paul at bay whenever the jokes start crackin'! =D naaah just joking, Paul is a blast! He's a one man show if things get too quiet and an amazing instructor when the matter is at hand. One of the members of the group gets real nervous when diving.. To keep things short, this person felt very comfortable diving with Paul.

You can't go wrong with this bunch! I'll be going back soon enough!

Visited September 2013
tda-adventures, Owner at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Well hello and thank you for writing a review for us. We know how busy you are with studies so it is very much appreciated.

We pride ourselves on our patience and professionalism in the water and we believe that this shows through in the way we dive with our clients.

It was a great pleasure to dive with you and your friends and you were all so much fun, we still laugh at the memory of you all crammed into your vehicle when you left Las Galeras, travel in comfort and style wasn't on your minds!

Really hope you will be coming back soon and I will reply to the email you sent this afternoon

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent dive company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Really enjoyed my dive experience with TDA. We did the wreck just off Playita and Paul was a great guide. Great attention to safety and their dog is wonderful too.

Visited February 2013
Hi Adam

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review for us, we really do appreciate the input we receive from our clients.

We are looking forward to you coming back to see us (it is warmer here than in D.C) and Bosun is especially looking forward to more petting from you

Please give ur regards to your brother, mom and you new wife

Thanks again
Dominican Republic
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“End of the Road”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I went to the moon, but there were no craters or lunar dust- just a grayish blue infinity wrapping all around me, a misplaced floating speck. It was both frightening and soothing at the same time, to hear nothing but the overpowering sound of my own, deep inhalations, followed by a flurry of bubbles racing towards the surface. You never lose track of what’s important underwater. Every single breath echoes in your head as if it were the only thing that mattered in your wet, blue world. In a sense, it’s meditative, clearing your mind of the problems that persist on dry land. Short of a few hand signals, I couldn’t communicate with the other specs floating around me. I was alone, but safe. I was in awe, but relaxed.

After you learn to trust the rubber hoses and aluminum tanks harnessed around your body, it all comes into focus. There was a forest of stringy, dark green seaweed strands, anchored to the reef, swaying together with the unceasing rhythm of the ocean wind. A school of tiny neon blue fish hovered around us for a few moments, curiously eyeing their alien visitors. Then there was a tiny gold fish swimming through them, like a beam of light, oblivious to their nautical ballet of coordinated turns- someone has to be the rebel I suppose. And then you roll over and look up, and feel tinier than ever when you see how far away the surface is. We were only 40 feet under, but it was quite a view, and quite a thrilling sensation. After spending a half an hour underwater, you don’t want to come up. Gravity is a buzz kill.

The English couple who were running the course, Paul and Diane, had enough personality to be cartoon characters, or bobble head figurines at the very least. Diane decided to show off her American accent by singing me Happy Birthday Mr. President, like Marilyn Monroe. Our instructor, Paul, was an ex-seminarian, who became a standup comedian, then a DJ, a restaurant owner in Spain, and was now was a spear fisher, cave diver, ice diver, and treasurer hunter, who spends his work week relaxing in the eerie skeletons of half millennium old Spanish galleons. They’re such interesting people, and will always have the gratitude of the Peace Corps' mosquito ravaged masses, for giving us unreasonably low prices for their course, and always bringing us a second round of bread with dinner.

Thanks so much for looking after my Peace Corps group! Hopefully we will see you soon for advanced diving certification!

-D

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Daniel S
WOW...
We were thrilled to read this review, it made us want to learn to dive again (almost hee hee hee).

To hear our students feel talk about the first experience of taking their first SCUBA steps is something that makes the years of training as an Instructor Trainer so worthwhile.

To read about these feelings when they are so eloquently written was awesome.

We thank you so much for sharing this and do hope that you continue with your SCUBA journey and that we will be involved in it

We enjoy running the low price courses for Peace Corps Volunteers as it our small way of thanking you all for the committment you give to our local communities

As an aside, the Marilyn Monroe impression wasn't so bad was it?

See you all again soon we hope

Diane and Paul