“A Must When Visiting the Samana Peninsula”
Review of The Dive Academy

The Dive Academy
Ranked #7 of 17 things to do in Las Galeras
More attraction details
Owner description: Las Galeras' premier Scuba Diving School & Water Sports Adventure centre. English is our first language but we also speak Spanish, French, German, Danish, Swedish and Italian. We offer everything from Try and Tandem Dives to Instructor Courses, guided qualified dives over beautiful corals and the world famous 'The Tower'and Tibisi; all inclusive sailing & water sports day excursions - with skiing, snootering with our DPV's, diving and lunch on a beautiful sail boat to mini Live Aboard breaks. First Class Service with Economy Class Prices. We offer our clients professional and friendly, safe and affordable FUN.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Must When Visiting the Samana Peninsula”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

First off, Paul and Diane are great and their British humor is icing on the cake! I went to The Dive Academy with friends, twice, in order to get my open water and advanced dive certifications. The instruction was superb. Paul has a presence underwater that conveys his control of the situation which made diving for the first time a really exciting and safe experience. It certainly doesn't hurt that the waters around Las Galeras offering amazing underwater sites and that Paul really knows his way around the area. The downside is that now I'm spoiled and diving in other places often times doesn't compare with the great experiences I had in Las Galeras. Thanks Paul and Diane!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Bob T
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hey You
Thank you so much for the review and for understanding and appreciating our British humour. It's about time you came back and dived with us again, we need another poetic quote from you. Your last one..... "It's like mountaineering except you get to fly between the peaks" is on our website and is often commented on!.
Diane B

Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The most fun dive - instructor and owner Paul is fantastic”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We went to the Dominican Republic summer 2012. We have been diving all around the world. But I must say that Paul the owner is a fabulous dive instructor, he is very funny and full of good stories. But most important, he is also very skilled, which made us fell completely safe. The dive site there is fantastic beautiful. So if you go to Las Galeras, make you self a big favor and go diving with The Dive Academy. You will definitely not regret it.
We will be looking forward to dive with you again and watch the humpback whales.
With best regards Anders & Cathrine, Denmark

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Anders_Budtz
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Hi Anders and Cathrine
Would have like to respond in Danish but unfortunately, I don't have a Danish keyboard and besides your English is wonderful!
It was our pleasure to have such a fun couple diving and chilling out with us,,,, and thank you for your review
The whales are here now by the way,,,,,,, and the sea is flat and calm and the sun is shining.... why aren't you here??
San Francisco de Macorís, Duarte, Dominican Republic
“Home away from home.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've been on nearly 13 dives with Paul and Diane over the last six months. At first, I was nervous to SCUBA dive (it's unnatural to breathe under water...) But Paul has always made me feel so at ease in the water. In July, I got a bargain price on a "try-dive" where you can test out diving to see if you like it. I LOVED it.

I then came back for four days and did my open water certification with them in October. It was FANTASTIC. Paul and Diane made me feel right at home, and I got my certification quicker and cheaper than I ever imagined possible. I just came back two days ago to finish up my advanced course. I really didn't think it could get any better... and it totally did. In addition to doing a breathtaking deep dive along the Las Galeras coast, we've also done a wreck dive and a shore dive along a coral nursery. Not only do these two handle themselves professionally, but they also offer unbeatable prices for dives that are beyond monetary value.

Dive with these two and I guarantee you won't regret it. Oh, and on your last night here in Las Galeras, top it off with a pizza and gelato. You've earned the calories.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank TJarnigan
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to post a review, we know how precious internet time is for volunteers! You were a fantastic student on both your Open Water and Advanced Courses, especially considering you didn't have the best of the weather! We really appreciate the work the volunteer service puts in with the local people of our new home, so the price reduction on your courses and dives is our way of saying "Thank You" for your efforts.
Looking forward to you coming back soon and we have been practicing our vegetarian recipes for you
Diane Bartlett
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best parts of our trip”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent the holidays in Las Galeras, and met Paul and Diane at a restaurant next to their shop. Both suggested that we go out for a try dive, and although it sounded mighty tempting, we hadn't planned on it, and had to pass. We were, however, interested in snorkeling though. By the next morning Diane had arranged for us to head out with a diving/snorkeling group to Playa Fronton--one of the most beautiful beaches on the island (the best beaches and diving or snorkeling are best reached by boat)

Over the next week we went out a couple of times with Paul and Vicente, and also hung out back out the office in town with Diane, too. The times we spent with TDA were amongst the best parts of our trip. Paul, Diane and Vicente made us feel right at home. By the time we left Las Galeras, we were grateful for having met such terrific people, and certainly hope to see them again soon.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mike A
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Hey There
Thank you so much for the review. Las Galeras isn't the same without you two so please hurry and come back!
Been going through your wedding album again by the way, I really should have got you to point out who is who!
Miss our coffees together and especially miss the coconut biscuits!
See You Soon
Diane B
Atlantic City, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I went to Las Galeras for our honeymoon in June of 2011. Luckily, while we were enjoying lunch at the beach one afternoon, we happened to meet Paul and Diane. We got talking to them and decided to set up a try dive, since neither of us had been scuba diving before. Paul and Diane were both so nice, and so fun to talk to and spend time with. Paul was very patient with both of us, and made us both feel so comfortable, even though it was both of our first times. I wish we would have been able to do another dive because of how beautiful and how much fun our try dive was. If you have a chance to dive with Paul and Diane, don't pass it up, it was worth every penny!

Visited June 2012
3 Thank NicoleSteitz
tda-adventures, Manager at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hello
Thank you very much for posting a review for us. We often look on Facebook at the photo's we took of your Honeymoon Try Dive and it's great that we still keep in touch. Hopefully now that there are direct flights from the USA to El Catey you will come back soon.
Diane and Paul