Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Great family holiday at GPS !”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Kitchener, Canada
“Great family holiday at GPS !”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I will start off by saying that we usually stay in PC at the same resort each year but this year decided to try something different since the price of PC has gone way up. I'm so glad we did because we found another hotel that we want to return to each year !

The staff is excellent at this resort, from the minute we stepped off the plane Ramone our Sunwing Rep was there to guide us, he could always be found at the hotel during our 2 week stay. Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Samuel and Roberto right away, which was a very welcoming touch.

We loved our room, it was cleaned each day very well by Isabel and she was very friendly. We stayed mostly by the pool at block 5 and Francisco & Robert looked after us everyday and we even had table service !

The beach was nice compared to PC, it was shallow and calm....great for kids or non swimmers. We didnt think we would like the grass area between the ocean and the resort buildings but it was nice to walk on the grass to get the sand off of you, we never had any issues with sand being brought back into our room.

The animation staff at this hotel goes beyond their duties to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves and its an older crowd so some days they had very little participation. We participated in the kayak tour with Erick & Yousseff, ocean aerobics with Erick & Railyn, crazy beach games with Yousseff and the list goes on. The crowd for ocean aerobics was always larger when Railyn did them, he needs a raise !! Yonatan at the towel hut was always friendly and helpful. The entire animation staff works very long hours and they still had a smile on their face at the nightly shows, the pool show was very well done and not seen at every resort.

The food.....we have zero complaints about the food. Roberto does an outstanding job at this hotel, he was at every restaurant ! We ate at the buffet each morning, lunch was by the beach, dinner was at the buffet or one of the a la cartes. We had two dinners on the beach that we really enjoyed. Leo was the best waitress at breakfast, she looked after us so well. Ariel Gil also went out of his way to make our meals enjoyable, he was there at breakfast...lunch on the beach and then usually at the a la cartes. Fenci, David, Yonatan and "Super" Carlos also were great at the a la cartes...we always had a few laughs with them. Nina was a very nice hostess at the restaurants and never had a problem making dinner reservations. Robert also worked at the sports bar which we went to each night to play foozeball, he is quite the friendly character ! I have no quams about the food & drinks at this resort, it is all up to par and I think that is thanks to Roberto !

Front desk....if we did have any problems they were taken care of in no time. We did pay for the wifi and it worked fine.

The resort itself is well taken care of and it looked to us that they were always working on it. You couldnt walk very far without seeing a gardener, repair man or painter ! And each and every one of them would speak to you and had a smile on their face. We liked that the resort was spread out but not overly large, you could walk anywhere in a few minutes and always felt safe...day or night.

We spoke to many of the management team at GPS and all were friendly and welcomed us, which is a very nice touch ! We will return for this reason, a huge thanks to Samuel, Roberto and Railyn ! If you want to see a very lush part of the DR, this hotel is for you and we can not wait to return !

Room Tip: Rooms in block 4 would be great if you had young children, the two pools are right by. Rooms in bl...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank candle_maker_2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I had a wonderful experience at the resort. When I arrived there the food was great. It was cooked well, there were no hygiene issues and had great variety. My stay there was 1 week. Luckily the weather was decent every day. The staff were so accommodating and I have no complaints with the service there. I am really amazed by the night shows they put up every day. It was my favorite part of the vacation. One of the staff, Mikiki was really kind, considerate and enhanced my stay there which I would not get in other resorts. He was also an elite performer while maintaining a friendly profile during the day. Again I recommend this place and it is worth your money.

My final verdict: 4.5/5

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rohith C
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I just spent the best 2 weeks in grand paradise. The staff were so friendly. I travel every year to different places and have never had such great service. Special call out to the entertainment crew as they were the best I have ever seen. Every day was spent with them including my friend and I in the grand paradise family. Erick was amazing as the towel person and then helping me to learn how to dance. I really appreciated his humour and willingness to go out of his way to help everybody. He deserves a promotion for sure. Also a very special call out to Jesse. This woman is amazing. I had some language barriers and she went out of her way to help me to resolve. She even called the bank for me. Also like the rest of the crew she spent lots of time making me feel comfortable learning to dance and made my overall experience so warm. Daniel being the lead in the entertainment was also great. Being in management myself I was able to recognize how hard he works and how much he cares about what he does. This is certainly a team that deserves much applause. Then let's talk about kaki. Wow! He certainly is the most energetic dancer that I have ever had the pleasure to dance with and he was so patient even when I stepped on his toes. Mikki everyday worked very hard to make sure we were happy and having fun. His fun and engaging way was very uplifting and always made us feel great. Pinky was seen around all the time with the children. If I was looking to bring a child to the resort I would definitely trust them in pinky's care! Great place for children. Alexis was another staff for special mention. He was always so great with everyone for photography and was such a pleasure to be around. The music was well selected. Andujar did an excellent job as a dj. He certainly had me dancing. So everyone was very fantastic at this resort. Olga also was a pleasure. Watching her dance with her amazing smile was such a treat. The resort was beautiful, the food was great, the bartenders were very pleasant and overall everything was great. I have spent the time in my review though calling out certain individuals because it is the memories that those particular people made for me that will cause me to go back. So Erick, Jesse, Daniel, kaki, Mikki, pinky, Alexis, Olga, and andujar. Thank you. You all deserve promotions and applause as it is because of you that I will come back! Money well spent.

Room Tip: I was in the 1200 block and liked it because it was central to everything.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurie C
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

One of the biggest resort I've seen. I enjoyed the exercise everyday on the beach for half an hour. The staff there were very friendly and welcoming, but unfortunate some are limited in their communication.

Our first bad experience was the currency. They do not want Canadian dollars, only US dollars, If the money have any writting or slight tear, they were not accepting that,however whenever we tried to change money, they wanted to pass all the bad bills on us. The staff at the reception desk claimed it is the BANK who make a fuss over the money. If this is the problem, people will not be encouraged to go back.

There were a variety of food, but one had to make their choices,especially if you haven't taken a Travel Vaccine, which I would recommend. Our body have to get adjusted to the kind of food there and avoid freshly cut vegetables and fruits because they may be washed with the tap water. Entertainment was great.

Room Tip: To get up to the upper levels, only stairs,no elevators.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wendy G
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We had a fabulous time at this resort. After we read what some people were saying we were very nervous about going. This resort was so relaxing . The people there were so nice and helpful. When we had any problems(which were few) they were there for us. It was clean and they kept our room fridge stocked all the time. We had a barbecue on the beach which served lobster. Not much for shopping. You could take trips into town but we decided not to.The beach was very nice, white sand and very clean. Our rep from Sunwing Ramone was the best. He went out of his way to be there for us. Always had a big smile on his face. If you ask if we would go back ,the answer is YES. There is new owners now and maybe this is why there is so many changes there. Try it out people, I am sure you will love it. The food is not bad, a lot of seafood.All kinds of variety for everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Nancy W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place is a quite resort with a small beach area two pools, a lounge/club area plenty of bars and buffet areas to eat. I stayed here for 4days and I can say I had a nice calm time. I did zip line which was fun, whale watching which was amazing so worth it and kayaking . very sunny every day the weather was perfect and the entertainment stuff was incredibility fun and nice especially RAILYN he was super friendly, out going full of energy ( i'm young and still couldn't keep up haha), always so pleasant with a huge smile on he's face very hard worker as well he made sure that no one stayed left behind without moving there bums. I also want to say the GABRIEL one of the bartenders there was very sweet and kind he showed us around the establishment , always made my drinks and was on top of them making sure I was never low. if I ever needed anything even thou he was just the bartender he took time away to make sure I was happy and satisfied I really enjoy getting to him a lot. Overall this is a nice place to relax, family and older people , If your in the party and social atmosphere I can't say this is the place because I'm in my mid 20's and after 2days I did find myself to be a bit bored and not much party scene in or outside the resort (punta cana is the spot for that, which I also went to) but I can say that the people from there and the residents from Dominican Republic are all very nice and friendly I'd definitely love to go back.

Room Tip: ocean view because the side view rooms only show trees.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colombiana_00
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Just returned from some much needed sunshine, vacationed at Grand Paradise Samana for the week of March 2-9th. After reading some of the reviews I was very skeptical about staying at this resort as we were travelling with ages 24 to 70. Please don't may much attention to the nay-sayers, this resort is very clean, especially the washrooms located throughout, the staff are very friendly and they all work extremely hard. The pools are beautiful, we only used the smaller one and never had a problem with beach chairs (which seemed new) or finding somekind of shade. The bar at this pool was great, we even had chair service some of the time as they were not busy. Bartender, Francisco, was fantastic, he did not speak english very well but we managed and he tried very hard, a wonder guy. The beach was spectacular, there "seaweed" on the sand actually looks like grass, not the stuff we find here. Most days the beach was clear and they cleaned up when needed. Not bugged by people trying to sell you stuff on the beach either, just say "no thanks" and they leave you alone. The rooms are what you'd expect, the only thing I would have liked was a king or queen bed, pretty much every room had 2- double beds, oh well you adjust . The rooms are very clean, we had an issue with our shower head spraying water on the bathroom floor, I cleaned it up with a white bath towel and no dirt on the towel, I'd say that's clean. The showers could use a little work, no biggie, we had hot water everyday. The power did go out once but the problem was fixed within 10 minutes. As for the food, it was very good, they have a different theme every night at dinner. The omelet station and fresh fruit in the morning were the best I've had. We always found something to eat and no one was sick once. A few of us did have minor bathroom issues but can't say it was from the food, most likely the sun and massive amounts of drink, imodium did the trick. The a la carte's are both good, we enjoyed the canneloni at the Italian and the mahi mahi at the Seascape. My only suggestion would be that they make the enviroment a little nicer for dinner, they divide the beach buffet in 1/2 at night and it serve's as the 2 a la cart'es, they are open air, which was very nice.

The zipline excrusion is fantastic, Dave the guide did a great job giving us a tour and history of Samana, they are very proud of their country and it's people.

It is hard to find a place to exchange larger monies, for US dollars so I would suggest taking $1 & $5. Excrusions can be paid by credit card so large amonts of money is not required unless you like to buy souvenirs. The town, Las Galeria's is only about a 10 minute walk along the beach, they have grocery & souvenir shops. Talking to someone, they mentioned that you could catch a bus to the market in Samana for a couple of bucks.

We went to couple of the evening shows, they are very good, some better than others, favorite was the at the large pool. Go early if you want a seat. There are a lot of activities daily, I can't comment as I was there just relaxing in the sun but everyone seemed to enjoy.

Overall this is a great place and great value, we have no complaints and I would go back tomorrow if I could. Samana is a beautiful part of the Dominican!!!! Thanks to everyone for making our holiday a great one and don't listen to those bad reviews.

This is not a hopping resort, mostly an older crowd, peaceful, exactly what we were looking for!!!

Any questions, just ask........

Room Tip: We stayed in block 6. Very close to the smaller pool & not far to walk to the beach and beach b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 54 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!