“Paradiese!!!”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Las Galeras
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Awesome holidays!!! Unbelievable location, amazing beaches, U must see 5 local ones! Horses everywhere, even in resort, walking free ;). As a horse lover I couldnt imagine more, awesome diving, romantic restaurant on the cliff u must see and dine, prowns and fish is just too much ;). Me and my hubby went there for romantic dinner on sunset,on horse back ;) were there only one which makes so much different, done quod biking, diving, national park, beaches by boat, horse riding and relaxing! Great food,everyday different buffet thats why I donno why people say that food is repetetive, come on, stop complaining about silly stuff! clean and very friendly, Amazing trip, will be deffo back there!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Joannask78

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Enjoyed my first all inclusive trip to Grand Paradise Samana from Sept15-22,2013. The rooms were kept clean and tidy. Enjoyed the lovely beach that this resort has to offer. The Manager Wilfredo Galan (who always had a smile on his face) made sure our stay at the resort was comfortable. The Bellboy (Entertainment staff) Alvaro Africa was so friendly that he made a great first impression on our arrival at the resort. The entertainment staff - Judy, Jessy, Kaki and the rest of the group put in a great effort in the entertainment shows. Even at the end of the day, the entertainment staff had a smile on their face, despite it being a long day for them. We would also enjoy their company at our table for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The DJs did a great job with the music played on the beach. We were not continually pestered by the locals trying to sell us stuff. They would leave us alone, if we were not interested in buying their stuff. The only thing that the resort management need to work on is getting the clean towels replaced at the same time that the rooms are cleaned. Since, we had to wait until late afternoon for clean towels delivered by laundry (as we couldn't take a nap / shower early after we were in the ocean). Mabel Smith

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mabel S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went to Grand Paradise in April 2013 and we had an amazing trip from start to finish. The trip from the airport to the resort was about 2.5 hours and we were transported in a large air-conditioned tour bus. There was a guide ( a rather chatty fellow) who explained the sights along the way. After an hour, I really just wanted him to be quiet lol. We arrived at the hotel and couldn't check in right away but we were just in time for lunch! Our hotel room was huge and looked out to the second pool.

The resort is large and clean. The beaches are amazing if you don't mind a little seaweed. You can walk for about 15 mins into town where there are restaurants, shops and a bank. I felt safe enough (except that we promised a guy we would go on a tour with him and then changed our minds and then he proceeded to follow us for an hour. We didn't feel so safe then but we gave him $5 and he went away ): ). The food the entire week was marvelous. There was lots of variety. My boyfriend got very sick the last day but he has a pretty weak stomach anyways. There is always a chef making fresh omelets, so chose that option instead of the eggs sitting there.

It was Easter weekend and we were "warned" about the locals descending on the hotel. We loved it! The hotel was full of life, laughter and fun. Everyone was having a great time so I don't know why we needed to be warned. The staff was friendly enough. We tipped everyone at least once and they were very appreciative. For the week we spent about $40 in tipping..... not alot to us but it made a huge difference to them.

We spoke to Carlos the taxi coordinator and he hooked us up with a tour to see the waterfalls for about $50 per person ( a lot cheaper than the hotel). We were driven there by taxi, we took horses on a 30 min ride down some pretty steep trails (scary!) but the horses and the guide are well trained. Our guide was an older gentleman and his grandson. They were just amazing! There are stairs going up to the waterfall and this elderly man (77) ran up those stairs like it was nothing and left us to eat his dust! The waterfalls (El limon I think the name is) are so beautiful. Please keep in mind that the money pays for the taxi and lunch but you have to pay the guides separately which is weird because they are the ones doing the actual work. We also went horse back riding in the country side around the hotel. This was very relaxing and good for kids I think.

The only problem we had was the afternoon we were leaving the resort, there was not a stitch of food to be found. They shut down the snack bar and started dinner 30 mins later than usual. i had to beg for a piece of bread! This was in such stark contrast to the abundance of food all week. Travelling hungry was not fun but I suppose it was our fault for not eating earlier. All in all we really enjoyed our time there. Samana is unlike Punta cana and Boca Chica in that it is more mountainous. The water is this amazingly green-blue and everywhere you look are mountains. I would say this area is a nature-lovers paradise!

Room Tip: Maybe avoid building 7, it is pretty far away from everything.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel itself it's a bit old or outdated, however the staff it's incredible nice and attentive. Specially Noris Silverio made our staff a real dream. She made us feel welcomed and tried to accommodate our large group the best possible.
There was always a place to eat at all times, the alcohol offered was good and the hotel was clean.
I will definitely go back the only reason I'm giving the hotel an Average overall review is because the hotel is outdated.

Room Tip: We stayed at a regular room, however we saw the Bungalows and they are WAY better than a regular roo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ALLIBRE
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Arriving at the resorts reception we were greeted by a very welcoming and smiling receptionist called Yinauri, she said we could call her Gina. Such a warm,polite and attentive young lady who welcomed us to a very hot Samana! And each day we saw her she was equally welcoming!

The resort was lovely, and the best part was the unspoiled white sandy beach. We all had a lovely time here with great service from the staff.

Wilfredo Galan is the Guest Service Manager and each day we saw him he would always greet us with a smile and would make sure we were happy. Nothing was to much trouble for him, very helpful and welcoming.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and resort, I wish we could have stayed for an extra week or two or three!

Will certainly will be going there next year.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MFernandezb
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My cousin and I were at this resort from Sept 15-Sept 22,13. We are from Toronto, Canada. I have been very fortunate to travel to many Caribbean destinations in the past. I was very surprised at this property since this property is rated a 3 to 4 star depending on the tour operator. This was my first 3 star and the resort was outstanding. It exceeded my expectations for a 3 star resort as rated with Air Canada Vacations.
Our room was very nice, clean and big with a huge balcony in the new section block 7, on the third floor. The room was clean and we had pillow top mattresses. While we were there, they were replacing all the mattresses in block 6 with pillow top mattresses, which is nice to see. They try to maintain and up keep their rooms. We had two keys for our room as I noted from a previous guests who had mentioned they only had one. The beach was unbelievable, there is no resort besides Grand Samana Paradise so the beach is all yours. No rocks in the water, clear and clean some seaweed but very minimum. We stayed in the ocean for hours some days it was like bath water. I have never seen so many coconut trees on one property as there was on this beautiful beachfront property. The food was good, always something there for you to eat; there was a theme night every evening, so the food was different for the dinners. They also had a snack bar near the disco with fries & burgers; we were too full after eating the good food. The entertainment shows were outstanding. The entertainment group work so hard for their guests, I cannot believe without practice they performed so well. The guests need to be more appreciative and applause and come to see them in the evenings. After the shows, they will teach you salsa, bachata etc in the disco after working all day. One evening they had a very unusual pool show, which I have never seen before in all my travels, it was very original. Heads up to Judy from the entertainment who does all the choreography, well done.
I would like to give special thanks to Wilfredo, the manager at the front desk. He was very accommodating and was always pleased to answer any of our questions. Always had a smile and would greet you wherever he saw you, made you feel very welcome. A special thank you also to Alvaro, Jesse and Mikiki from the entertainment group who would make time to seat with us during meals and always acknowledged us whenever they saw us on or off the property. I would like to acknowledge the front desk and the bell boy who were always courteous and willing to assist all guests, always with a smile.
I would come back to this resort with my family and friends; this resort is not too big. You can have the peace and tranquility here after our busy and hectic lives back home.
Cheers Audrey R

Room Tip: Block 6 to 8, newer section
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank AudreyReview
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The resort definitely needs some work, but the beach is fantastic! The drinks were all good, not too watered down and just the right amount of alcohol - if you wanted more, all you had to do was ask! The bartenders and staff really got to know you and recognize you. The rooms were very nice, and always kept clean. Bed was a little hard, but that is to be expected.

The only downside of the resort is the food. It was pretty bad. I went into this vacation with a completely open mind, but was let down. I had to stick to mostly pasta. The two a la carte restaurants (they alternate depending on the night) serviced better quality food. The crepe station for breakfast was by far the best thing in terms of food that they offered.

If you want some excellent food, walk along the far end of the beach towards the left and keep following the dirt road. The locals told us about this fabulous restaurant in the middle of no where along the water and it was fantastic. It takes about 15 minutes to get there, and is quite a hike. There is a French family that runs the restaurant, which also serves as a hotel of sorts (you can rent a hammock for the night for something like $10). I went out of my comfort zone and had the conch, squid and octopus spaghetti and it was hands down one of the best dishes I ever had in my life. They also served freshly squeezed orange juice. The meal was incredibly priced, and the view was fantastic. It is called El Cabito!

The pools were all decently sized, but I much prefered the ocean. There was seaweed, but nothing I couldn't tolerate.

Overall, good vacation. I would like to visit another resort for sure, but I would recommend this resort if you can tolerate the lack of decent food, and if you get a good price!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 35 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!