Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Terrible experience. This is not a 4 star resort as some websites want you to believe”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Las Galeras
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a week at the Grand Paradise Samana and we believed all the websites which listed it as a 4 star hotel. It was the worst place we had the misfortune of being stuck in! The mattresses were stained with the bedsprings at the surface. We both need a few sessions with our osteopaths to recover. The bedspreads were also stained, nice yellow stains on the inside of the bedspread. The sheets turned grey from their original white many decades ago. We came into a bathroom with a complimentary basket of toiletries which included only a shower cap and, when we asked for soap and shampoo we were told that they were not obligated to provide it and pointed us to the mini market next door. Then when we insisted, we were made to feel that they were doing us a favor.
The sand fleas had a feast on my arms and legs. We were told that the regular fumigation doesn't kill all the fleas. The beach water was dirty with sediments floating, and algae. It looked more like stagnant water then a web and flow of a normal beach. The beach chairs were extremely stained or worn out and no beach umbrellas. It was obvious that the owners opted for the palm trees to provide shade which in itself is not a bad idea but they are quite slender trees with small shade so one has to move every 30 minutes or so which is not always convenient for the people around. Look at the pictures of this resort, those palm trees serve as umbrellas.
I would not be proud to own this resort and I would not be proud to work there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BEB25BEB25BEB25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Some feedback on the hotel:
• The rooms are a bit tired and in need of some TLC
• There really is no beach
• The a la carte restaurants were a bit disappointing
• The resort shows were very amateur
• The ocean “view” is a bit of a stretch….the ocean was about 800m away and was obstructed. Better view of a driveway
On the positive side:
• I would definitely book a Sunwing package again; the flight was good and the support onsite was good as well
• The buffet was a pleasant surprise

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading to ocean view .... there is only obstructed view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cdonne
Toronto
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My teenaged daughter just returned from a week long vacation (Dec 18-25, 2012) at Grand Paradise, Samana and we had a fantastic time. We were in room 1140 and although it was an older room, it was well maintained and spotless. The room was located in a central area and everything was in close proximity, we could see the pool and lounge area from our back patio. The front desk staff were courteous, speedy and very helpful upon check in and the entire process took less than 10 minutes. The animation staff and resort staff were by far the friendliest I have encounterd on a trip and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. I feel like we didn't pay enough for what we got, the food was fantastic and they put on a buffet spread for Christmas Eve that would rival any 5 star hotel. We will definately be returning to this resort in the near future!!

Room Tip: Make sure you make the 5 minute walk to town, it is well worth it!! Explore the complex when you fi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank LCA1399
Ontario
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I are returning for the third time to the Grand Paradise Samana resort . because we like it so much we are now staying for one whole month of January to February
. Despite all of the negative reviews on here I would recommend this place to anyone who is turned off by western commercialism and who wants to enjoy a low scale but very pleasant vacation desitnation. The staff have always been very couteous and accomodating, the food and entertainment are quite acceptable and the beach is wonderful. One staff member in particular who is an excellent ambassador for the resort is our great friend YOUSEFF DARIFF who speaks excelent English is a great "go to' guy if you need help or information.Youseff goes out of his way to be friendly and ensure that the tourist feels welcome in his country. We also enjoy the fact that the litle village of Las galeras is just a s hort walk down the beach road and we have always felt very safe there; the village folk are very friendly and helpful as well. There are several amazing beaches within an hour of the village which can be esily accessed by car, by horseback, by boat or by walking; all in addition tot he beach which is right on the resort.This is the last largely unspoiled natural area of the Dominican as far as tourism and industrialism is concerend. visist it while you can in its beautiful state and get tot know the Dominican people and their way of life!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank canuckkellyOntario
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It was truly an exceptional vacation.. the beach, the music, the food and drink. It was Christmas so the staff took great strides in accomodating our needs for entertainment and food. Thank you to Guery and all the staff for ensuring that my stay was comfortable and happy :)
I am still there in spirit, the glorious scenery and happiness of the people will remain with me for ever. Happy New Year to everyone at the Grand Paradise- I hope to return again one day soon. Continued happiness to all! Gratias....
Florence

Room Tip: My room at the end of the resort..8th bldg was exceptionally quiet ,but at the back facing the sandy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank happiness33
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This may not be a 5* but the beach, service, cleanliness and staff, certainly made it one in my eyes
I would highly recommend this Resort for the area alone, the beach is beautiful, not huge but just so unique that you could see mountains and the sand was so white, it would have put a persons mind to Hawaii
We could walk into town & everyone was very friendly
Our room was fine, food very good & loved the entertainment
We travelled here in March 29th for a week of 2012
I would highly recommend this for a family getaway, I really enjoyed that it was a smaller resort & very easy to get around

Room Tip: we had a room by the pools, not far to the beach :)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank KelleyCouple
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

he was very pleasant when we arrived and very helpful. Refreshing after a long day of travelling. There were very many helpful people there. Overall I was very pleased with my stay. The photo booth was fun. My sister and I had a photo shoot done. Lots of fun. The beach could have been cleaned of weeds. That was a set back. Food was good. Entertainment was ok. Disco....that was something else. The entertainers certainly had the "favourite" people to dance with....not their job. Ah we'll....would I return?.....maybe.....for some of the staff

Stayed December 2012
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 53 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 53 in Samana Province
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!