“Secluded and rustic relaxation”

Chalet Tropical Village
Ranked #1 of 20 Las Galeras B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My husband and I spent 8 days in Las Galeras at Chalet Tropical for our honeymoon. We were given such special, hands-on treatment by the lovely hostess and property owner, Sarah Paradiso. She arranged all of our travel to and from the airport, our daily excursions and even walked us around town showing us the lay of the land, as well as introducing us to many of the locals.

We spent most of our time at La Playita, the closest beach, but we also took several day trips which I would highly recommend. We went horseback riding, Snorkeling, Boating, Swimming in waterfalls and even spent one night at the nearby resort "Don Pablo's Cayo Levantado" for a day just to mix it up. However, it was nice to come back to the Chalet...the Resort's food couldn't compare to the fish & platano's at Isabelle's on La Playita.

Overall, it's a beautiful and friendly area, the locals are very warm and welcoming and Sarah's hospitality can't be beat. If you're in need of solitude and relaxation and want to really experience the culture of this beautiful country, this is the place to go.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chalet Tropical Village

Reviewed October 27, 2010

The chalet we stayed in was beautifully designed with natural materials and meticulous detail. The host, Sarah, was incredibly helpful with sourcing local fish and seafood and arranging excursions. The property was child friendly and private - perfect for families or couples.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I'll try to keep the compliments brief, but it won't be easy! As everyone notes, Sarah is an amazing hostess with a local's knowledge of everything to see and do in Samaná. She arranged for my transportation arriving and departing, bought my groceries for me when I was too 'busy' lounging on the beach, set up my side trip to Playa Rincón, and was always available and responsive to every need (down to replacing a loose screw in a creaky ceiling fan immediately after I mentioned it).
As for the stay, I'll start by saying if you're looking for an all-inclusive resort experience, you should look elsewhere. Although Sarah and Danilo have made this an amazing place to stay, it's not Club Med...and Thank God for that!! You have to be willing to expend at least a bit of energy to make your experience unforgettable (i.e. walk the 5 minutes along a beautifully shaded path to the secluded Playita beach, fix your own food and drinks in your fully equipped kitchen, sleep beneath a quietly humming ceiling fan with no air conditioning). If that's your gig, you'll have an unforgettable experience at the Chalet Tropical
I stayed in Chalet #1, and it was absolutely charming. Screened windows allow the constant breeze to keep the hot temps manageable during the daytime, and pleasant during the evenings. Only one night was it so warm that I slept a little restlessly. All of the three chalets are far enough from one another to maintain total privacy, but close enough to not feel any insecurity whatsoever, although the compound is located just beyond the edge of the town of Las Galeras. One note--at night, you're close enough to the bars in town to hear the merengue music drifting through the trees. I thought it was cool.
Speaking of cool, I visited several beaches where the water was stunning in its tropical blueness. Although Playa Rincón is touted as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (and it IS very nice), my vote is for Playita. It's a postcard palm-lined beach with an awesome little shanty restaurant run by Isabelle and her husband Ramón. The grilled fish is outstanding and the beer is nice and cold. When i felt like a little rum in my piña colada, Ramón hopped on his motorcycle and rode to town to grab some for me. What else could you ask for? That said, if you've got the time, it's definitely worth the effort to hop a little outboard boat with one of the local dudes to experience some of the other beaches.

So, bottom line: this is a great place--über-relaxing, with gorgeous tropical seas, perfect hosts, and a great laid back feel. Can't wait to come back again next year!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DefianceJosh
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Chalet #3 the last week of June 2010 and loved it! Sarah is a perfect host and the property is very well maintained. The cottage itself is wonderful with island decor throughout. The things I enjoyed the most about the chalet are the hammock, outdoor dining table, beautiful yard, comfortable bed and the convenience of having a kitchen. No need to rent a car - just use local transportation when you wish to venture beyond the village. We enjoyed our morning walks to the beach and evening strolls to the grocery store or a restaurant. There is something for everyone here: it can be relaxing, romantic, adventurous or all three if that's what you want. The beaches here are secluded and beautiful - we never saw a crowded beach during our week stay. We spent a lot of time at the nearest beach (La Playita) and Sarah arranged boat rides to two nearby beaches. Playa Fronton is known as the snorkeling beach - water is crystal clear, the reef is steps from the beach and we had it to ourselves for 5 1/2 hours except for one local fisherman who we saw twice. Playa Rincon is gorgeous with a crescent shaped beach that we enjoyed also. Two day tours that we recommend are Los Haitises National Park and El Limon waterfall. You will not be disappointed if you stay at Chalet Tropical in Las Galeras on the Samana peninsula of the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvaVanBurenAR
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Chalet Tropical Village more than exceeded our expectations. The chalet was lovingly designed and featured a lovely front porch for family meals. All the touches - the hammock, ceiling fans, swan-shaped towels - all added up to a lovely experience. Sarah couldn't have been more accommodating. She was extremely helpful and friendly and quickly gave us the lay of the land. The beaches, the food, the adventures and most of all the people all made us feel like we had a home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I absolutely loved staying at Chalet Tropical!
It was incredibly beautiful. I love things off the beaten track and this was it.
The walk to the beach… about 10 minutes from the chalet was my favorite.- You follow a path through farmland and open a fence so the few cows don’t escape. The path then it opens up to a field of tall Palm trees and mountains across the water – it looks like a Gauguin painting of Tahiti!
The beach, which was never crowded during the week. Breathtaking at sunset. Locals fishing
Delicious grilled fish and Pina Coladas served on the beach.
Idyllic. Simple. Not fancy. Friendly. Casual.

Sarah, the proprietor arranged a couple trips for us-. And she had no problem accommodating our last minute plans to do something fun. We were interested in seeing the surrounding beaches. Someone came to pick us up at the Chalet and brought us to a nearby beach 10-minute drive. Where some kids took you on a bumpy motorboat ride with a couple other passengers. Gorgeous!

The Chalet is very arty and funky and was lovingly built by Sarah and her husband. This is no cookie cutter hotel! Each one is unique. Sarah and her husband live on the property- so she’s never to far away to answer any questions or help with anything. They have two gigantic Great Danes, a monkey and a fluffy cat, who make occasional appearances.

The grounds have I think 3 “chalets” all built in a beautifully kept yard with flowering tropical shrubs. There’s a fence around the property. It’s away from the main road, where the restaurants are. So it’s nice and quiet, but only a 15-minute walk to the village.
When we first arrived Sarah took us on a ride into the village in her car, and pointed out the restaurants she liked best. There is an ATM and grocery store and restaurants. Lively local scene at night not touristy.
A few tourists’ shops that have Haitian paintings and sculptures. A bunch of restaurants.
We made breakfast at home and dinner sometimes too with fresh fruit. & groceries we had gotten in the village. There is a local bakery with fresh bread. The kitchen is very simple but workable. And there’s a built in BBQ grill outside.

The last night Sarah invited us to a party on the beach with some of the other guests from another property she manages.
It was a kind of rainy night and the wind was blowing. We had a FABULOUS seafood feast under the palm frond roof. Sarah was so welcoming and generous and funny, we felt like old friends.
I went with a girlfriend- we had a wonderful time. I wouldn’t hesitate to come again with my husband. The chalet next to us a friendly couple from Canada with two kids said it was perfect for them too.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband and I chose Chalet Tropical for the first week of our honeymoon last June. We were looking for an unspoiled, non resort, Caribbean vacation with a lot of privacy. Chalet Tropical was a perfect fit. This vacation location is for those who are interested in immersing themselves in the island culture and lifestyle. The roads to the area are unpaved and most ideal for a four-wheeler or motorbike type vehicle which is not hard to come by in Las Galeras. There is a short scenic walk to a beautiful beach with snorkeling reefs which is maybe 5-10 minutes depending on your walking pace.
Sarah, the hostess who lives next door to the property was remarkable to work with from the moment we inquired about her Chalet. She was available by phone from the States and was very efficient responding to e-mails. She set up every step of our trip from SDQ to the Chalet according to our preferred method of travel (2 cab rides and a bus trip). When we got to the Chalet she gave us a ride to a fabulous Italian place in town and arranged for the owner to bring us back after our meal. She was eager to make any excursion arrangements needed from renting a vehicle for a day to a boat trip to nearby picturesque beaches. I could go on and on about how above and beyond her hospitality was. We really missed her after leaving the Chalet for the rest of our trip.
I gave sleep quality 4 stars only because there are mosquitoes in the area which I happen to be a magnet for and since the Chalet is a rustic A-frame, it is not mosquito proof. The ceiling fan and bug spray are necessities. It was definitely quiet enough to get a good night sleep regardless.
If you do visit Las Galeras be SURE to try Tubart cafe in town. My husband (a chef by profession) and I had many fabulous, gourmet meals there including some of the best coffee we've ever had in the mornings before our diving excursions. The staff is astoundingly friendly and hospitable and the atmosphere is wonderful.
If you are looking to truly get away from it all and enjoy the peaceful island lifestyle for a while Chalet Tropical is the place to go!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#4 of 4 in Las Galeras

Been to Chalet Tropical Village? Share your experiences!