“PARADISE, AWAY FROM THE MADDENING CROWDS” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel el Marinique

Hotel el Marinique
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Largo, Florida
“PARADISE, AWAY FROM THE MADDENING CROWDS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in one of the apartments and ate breakfast/dinner meals at the restaurant. We were the only guests -- as it was early in the season -- and we had the entire place to ourselves. It was peaceful, quiet, and relaxing.

Nicole goes out of her way to make your stay comfortable and accommodating. She offered choices for every meal and whether the fresh fish, crab cakes, or the beef bourguignon -- every meal was a delight. Watching the full moon rise as we sip a glass of wine, made for a very romantic setting and atmosphere. And then you get to wake up to your breakfast choice of omelets, pancakes or french toast from local bread!!

Need to get rid of that stress and relax on your vacation? Then just ask Mary (who also works in the restaurant at night) for a massage, like we did EVERY DAY! $ US 25 for an hour of heaven!! Follow that with a walk on the beach (less than 2 minutes away) and a stop at the beach bar for happy hour and getting the picture of just how nice this place is.

Add in a beautiful view of the ocean and the trade winds and you have found paradise at El Marinique.

Yes, Las Galeras is off the beaten path, but it is an easy bus or taxi ride and worth the time/trip. If you want to be surrounded by a 1000 tourists, pushy crowds and loud noise -- this place isn't for you.

Room Tip: Take one of the apartments, the upstairs bedroom is roomy with a nice balcony and directly faces the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
denver, co
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I am late in writing this review, but I often think back to the time I spent here for my birthday trip 11-11-11, and all I want to do is run back as quickly as possible. Las Galeras is a beautiful town, and the people are all very friendly and gracious. Our stay at El Marinique couldn't have been better. Nicole was very friendly with us and gave us great advice on booking trips to many of the local and nearby sights. Michel is quite a charming and funny man who made our days brighter with his company. As a group of 4 single women, there was not one moment we did not feel safe or un cared for. The amenities are not outstanding, but the view is beyond belief so that's all that mattered. Don't expect a big breakfast, but the home made jam is amazing, so after having it with some toast, grab an El Presidente and head to the beach!!! It is only footsteps from your door! Without hesitation, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be off the beaten path and NOT staying in a commercialized, Americanized all-inclusive. Thank you to everyone there who made my birthday so special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I found El Marinique on-line and communicated with Nicole making a 3 night reservation. And, once I got there, I decided to stay a whole week. The grounds and location are beautiful, Nicole and Ruth (her assistant) are so welcoming and helpful, the location great, and the cottages and apartments suited all of my needs. You wake up each morning and walk out for your breakfast and sit in front of a view view of Las Galeras Bay. I enjoyed the breakfast each morning and also highly recommend the pancakes. I stayed a couple nights in a cottage and then “moved up” to the apartment after that. The cottage was nice but I really enjoyed the view from the second level of the apartment that overlooked the beautiful Bay of Galeras along with the hot showers, fridge, and kitchenette. Also, the rooms are well ventilated with high ceilings, ceiling fans, and lots of windows. So, I would definitely take that option on my next visit.

The hotel is right off the beach so that you can catch a boat going out to Playa Rincon, Madame, or Fronton within minutes. Also, you can run or walk for a couple miles along the beach on a beautiful soft-surfaced path. Just ask Nicole for advice as she knows the area well and was one of the original hotels welcoming guests to Las Galeras. At night you can walk out your door and be at all the frequently visited restaurants in LG in a few minutes. Also, Nicole and Ruth cooked me some tasty sandwiches for lunch when I was taking a break or between trips. I am already missing LG and look forward my next return trip to El Marinique when I visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mile429
Santo Domingo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

The El Marinique Hotel in Las Galeras in the Dominican Republic is a gem. After reading the reviews of the hotel I decided to give Las Galeras a try, sight unseen. The hotel is off the main track and far enough away from the little town of Las Galeras that the only sounds are the waves of the ocean. The owner, Nicole, communicated with me via e-mail and answered all of my questions regarding travel to and from the area. Although I was expecting a bigger hotel it is not large, but an extremely quiet, small hotel with completely individual service. The hotel is spotless. The gardens are exquisite. There is no view of the shoreline in the Dominican Republic that matches this one. Do not expect a chain hotel. The rooms are spare but complete. I stayed three days and ate all of my meals in the restaurant. The food was simple, ample and prepared with the simplicity expected from a gourmet cook. I will never forget the home baked bread with homemade papaya preserves.

Room Tip: The apartment upstairs has a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We came for two days and stayed for the whole week, that's how good and cozy it was. The hospitality of the owner Michel (his sister was away this time) was outstanding and we really felt like at home. The cabanas are spacious and comfy and set in a nice shade. The breakfast set on the terrace overlooking the bay of Las Galeras is also an experience we were looking forward to every morning.

Keep the good spirit Michel, hugs from friends Mihael and Teja from Slovenia

Room Tip: Canbanas are a great deal, but if you need to prepare your meals than you should opt the apartments...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
godmanchester qc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

if you are looking for a very quiet and cozy place away from the large all inclusive hotels of 1000 people+ this is the place to stay at reasonable prices.Home cooked food is excellent and you can order what you like.Lodging is comfortable and very quiet,near the beaches and the small fishing village of Las Galeras.The owner Nicole and her brother Michel were very charming and attentive to our requests.We stayed 12 days from march 22 to april 2nd 2011.The weather was excellent. we highly recommend El Marinique..... Marie and Richard. Godmanchester. Quebec. Canada

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pacha11
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

Location was great, as it was well enough away from the main drag to dampen any noises, but close enough for nice walks on the beach. The rooms were simple, though we only slept there, and service is why we'd recommend this place. We always enjoy food in different areas, and this restaurant proved very satisfying. In particular, we asked (reservation required) for pizza, as well as sugar pie for the evening as we left early in the day to Samana. We found the attention paid to these home cooked items was that which you normally from family, wow they were good. Also, they hid the sugar pie for a second serving at the end of the next day as well. Another review mentioned the continental breakfast - which I normally skip until I realized the homemade bread and jam was amazing. The pride in the food is evident, we appreciated that very much. the service was very friendly and personal - also well appreciated after extensive travel in public transportation that left us tired and hungry.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 20 in Las Galeras
La Isleta Apartment Hotel
La Isleta Apartment Hotel
#2 of 20 in Las Galeras

Been to Hotel el Marinique? Share your experiences!