“If only I had more vacation days to burn...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Serena Hotel

Villa Serena Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“If only I had more vacation days to burn...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

This was my first visit to the DR and naturally, my first stay at Villa Serena. The staff could not have been more attentive and down to earth...from quickly letting me back into my room after I had locked myself out on the porch to keeping my glass of chinola (fresh passion fruit juice not to be missed) always full. The rooms were very clean, despite all the sand we tended to track inside.

I couldn’t get over how I’d plan to do something that day, horseback riding, snorkeling, kayaking, and even renting an atv, but once I walked the 100 yards or so to the beach, nothing else seemed to matter. I was perfectly content lounging on a beach chair, reading a book, sipping my pina colada. Of course, it didn’t hurt that just to my right was a gazebo that offered massages and other spa services. Also, be sure to check out the water yoga class in the evenings.

The colorful fishing town of Galeras is only a short 5 min walk from the hotel. We would usually venture there for dinner, but ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel. Don’t miss out on the banana bread and homemade chocolate ice cream. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a vacation that seriously made me consider putting off my flight. But due to my lack of vacation days, I’ll have wait until next year to return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Jennifer R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

Villa Serena was perfect getaway. We just wanted to chill. A bit off season and mostly had the place to ourselves...our own villa by the sea. We loved everything about Villa Serena except the mosquitoes at night. We don't like air conditioning, especially when we can have the tropical breezes. Leaving our balcony doors open at night meant mosquito invasion. Would recommend a net for your bed. Restaurant food was good. Beautiful, well-kept grounds! Dined at La Tainos restaurant...definitely a thumbs up. Not too impressed with Playa Rincon... trash, but nearby Playita beach was a true oasis. Snorkeling not that great around the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jris
Bar Harbor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Villa. We travelled with our 2 children (ages 6 and 10), and my in-laws (in their 70's). The grounds were lovely, and quiet. The pool was great- and the staff was wonderful. The beach at the hotel was very small- so for a very reasonable price we beach hoped by boat to some of the nicer ones in the area. We were looking for something more local than one of the "all inclusive". We had fun going to the town and trying our spanish at the local restaurants. The hotel restaurant was nice as well. Not a great place if you have a gang of kids (as it was quiet)- but they loves the pool- and no one was ever in it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bixie63
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

I've never written a hotel review before, but this place was so great I'd recommend it to everyone. Most rooms have their own balcony and view of the ocean and well-kept grounds. There is a large, double-deck common area that looks sort of like a Caribbean-Colonial house, where you can take coffee or meals, read on rocking chairs, etc. There is water access from the hotel, but it's not a swimming beach - all the best beaches in and around Las Galeras are accessible to the public, not via private hotel property. So you can take a boat to Rincon (the prettiest large beach), or walk to the beach in town, or bike (the hotel stay includes use of bikes and snorkeling gear) to Playita, a small beach nearby with a shack for lunches and very few visitors.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Just_Browsing12
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

Spend the first two weeks of January 2009 at Villa Serena, and we absolutely loved it!
The garden, rooms, restaurant, pool area etc. are all very well kept, and the staff are truly amazing!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Osto
mpls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

My daughter had her wedding an honeymoon at Villa Serena, and she thought it was absolutely perfect. It was picture-perfect beautiful, and the staff joined in to make the wedding wonderful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lbs720
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

The hotel is lovely. Our room was large and pretty with a great porch with a view of the beautiful grounds and the sea. the staff was friendly and very kind and helpful. The town is very quiet and laid back and the beaches are splendid. It takes a long time to get there but it is worth it. We want to return. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Bring lots of good books. We went whale watching for the day and that was well worth it. The local restaurants were quite nice, including those at the beach (Playa Rincon)

Stayed February 2008
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#1 of 5 in Las Galeras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,532 reviews

Been to Villa Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!