“Cliff side bliss and intimate service at backpacker prices”
Review of El Cabito

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Galeras
El Cabito
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Cliff side bliss and intimate service at backpacker prices”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a backpacker and rarely feel so inspired by a hostel to write a review online, but as I sit here overlooking the bay and watching this sunset, preparing for a starry night watered down with delicious Dominican-rum Cuba Libres, I truly feel compelled to let others know how exceptional this place is. The restaurant is famous (and by reservation only) with good reason - its views are evocative of and second only in my travels to watching the sunrise from a Greek whitewashed roof on Santorini in Greece, and the food (the seafood in particular) is out of this world fresh and delectable.. I arrived sight unseen to this place a good ways from the town of Las Galeras - a 30min walk or 10 minute motoconcho ride - and they only had a hammock available (300 pesos, about $7.50) but the next day they moved me into the treehouse (queen bed, very rustic and intimate, 750 pesos, about $18) and both hammock and treehouse exceeded this backpacker's expectations (although I would recommend calling ahead for availability and/or making a reservation). The Bulgarian owners have literally treated me like a son since I arrived, and they are perhaps two of the nicest hotel/hostel owners I have ever met in my travels. Coming off a breakup, and traveling solo, this place has in three days done what little else could to help me enjoy my stay. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, for its views, its ridiculously affordable prices, its remote location away from the rest of Samana's tourism but very close to some of its most prized beaches, its food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and even drinks), and the warm and intimate service offered by these incredibly friendly people. In all of my travels, this place is a clear "10" with absolutely no hesitation or reservation whatsoever.

Pros: Views, service, food, hiking, isolation, intimacy
Cons: far from town (would not be ideal for those without their own transport, those who don't enjoy walking, or those unwilling to pay 100 pesos/$2.50 each time they need to go into town)

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank JonasPCV

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The view...Incredible view with the waves breaking down the cliff below the restaurant. I had an great meal, great drinks with a simply amazing bonus; whales breaching the water and jumping some 500m away! Wow!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading reviews we expected something fancier but were very happy with the amazing spot.
great views and dramatic crashing of waves through blow holes. We had grilled shrimp which was delicious. Clientele was an interesting mix of hikers, campers, and others just looking for an interesting dining experience. It's a unique place well worth the trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you’re in Las Galeras you must visit El Cabito!! Located on a cliff it’s the most beautifully located restaurant and the food is excellent. If your lucky you may even see people jump from the cliff....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I went to El Cabito for a short 3 day honeymoon and it was simply amazing, talk about romantic. First of all the view from the bed was insane, I could literally wake up and see the ocean from bed, a billion dollar view, this is probably what stands out the most to me from this place. But coming in at a close second is the amazing food, the only thing I can say is that I dream of the food here, I mean even the simple breakfast was somehow delicious. It's the kind of food that you never forget and always want more of.

I loved the creative decoration of this place, a mix of rustic, modern, art and literature (there were some great pieces of reading material in my room).

I love the fact that it is very, very small and hard to get to (I'm kind of an exclusive type of person). The price definitely too cheap for what you get. The service is also excellent. Great, attentive, fun hosts with a great variety of good music at the bar/restaurant.

I will be going back to this place, I suspect a couple of times a year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OlyenkaS
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Long dirt road to get there sets the tone right away. The locals said don't try to walk it, but it's not that bad to walk there from town. Although, El Cabito has no beach we did lots of hikes on mysterious jungle paths to secluded beaches that appeared to be from a pirate movie. Beautiful views across the open ocean from the bar/restaurant deck far above the waves crashing into the rocks. I would recommend making reservations if you want a table. We saw plenty of unprepared people turned away because it's a small place.
After 4 days we walked back to town where we saw a wonderful contrast in the experience that the other tourists in the Las Galeras area were having in their all inclusive resort stay.
A few photos here: http://www.fretwater.net/2012/03/dr.html

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed December 27, 2012

El Cabito is a must if you visit Las Galeras, the view and atmosphere are extraordinarily and the food is also good, big portions and well done. All in all a nice experience. You must have a car / taxi for going there as it is quit far from the town and they charge 150 RD per person going there and back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 20 in Las Galeras
Sunset Samana
Sunset Samana
#9 of 20 in Las Galeras

Been to El Cabito? Share your experiences!