“Great Hospitality and Service”

Country Club Hotel & Suites
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Karpenisi
Paris, France
“Great Hospitality and Service”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a cute medium size hotel run by a trully professional manager, Yannis Kelesides. Thus, the service is impeccable. Great lobby area with a huge fireplace and the rooms depsite been a little worn out, are warm , spacious and cozy. The area is ideal since everything is a 10-15 min ride from there. Breakfast and food in general is at high standards.

Room Tip: The ones with fireplace are really nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank savask

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I almost died in this hotel from CO poisoning. We got an upgrade for a suite which has its own energy fireplace. The fire protection system was shut down and as I was sleeping the whole room got filled with smoke from the fireplace! Of course the fire alarm did not go off and I woke up after 3 hours with my room literally filled with smoke (I could not see the other end of the room).
Luckily I am a light sleeper but imagine if elder people or children were sleeping in the room.
And may I say, no instructions were provided on how to light the fireplace! On the contrary I was almost encouraged to light it myself!
What made it fatal is that in order to save electricity they shut down the ventilation pump of the fireplace WITHOUT NOTIFYING YOU FIRST which is what caused the whole smoke release incident. (Of course at the beginning no instructions were provided in order to notify us of the existence of such a ventilation pump or were the switch is - which is by the way hidden in a cupboard OUTSIDE the room).
AND SINCE THE FIRE ALARM WAS OFF IN THE ROOM THERE WAS NO WARNING SO I KEPT SLEEPING. And slept until I started dreaming that I was burning up (I think it was because I was smelling all that smoke), which is why I woke up.

Funny thing is that I read that the management was rude to some people. Well it was such a fatal error not to have a fire protection system (which may I just say, we had to investigate ourselves! Had we not checked the fire protection system after the smoke incident, we wouldn't have discovered that it was off). Obviously having been busted, the manager admitted that the fire protection system was off and he was very polite and apologetic. I don't care really.
I am of course filling an official complaint since the most fatal error is that they don't have a fire protection system which is illegal and dangerous. I decided to write it to this website too in order to prevent families with small children from visiting this hotel.
Luckily I just got away with headaches, red eyes and a sore throat. Minimal considering what could have happened.
Other than that the hotel is fine - a bit to expensive if you ask me for what it has to offer. But what made me give a Terrible review is that I almost died and no pretentious luxury is worth your life.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Croco388
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children,ages 12,10 and 8. We visited Country Club to spend the New Year's holidays.
The hotel is located in Mikro Chorio, having above it the forests of Evrytania area. It's a very cosy hotel, very nice common area, a beautiful fire place in the sitting area of the hotel, very nice breakfast, excellent service from the friendly staff. For the New Year's Eve they had organize a party that fulfilled our needs. Very relaxing areas. We were lucky enough to see snow falling in the area, in higher altitude than the hotel is, but the hotel was very near to the ski slopes of Vellouchi. May be the hotel needs some face-lifting in the rooms. We were given a suite which I was expecting to be quite bigger but since we had so many things to do in the area it wasn't a major problem.
To conclude, I recommend this hotel for short or long visits of the area, for families and couples as well.
P.S. Dear Giannis ( owner ), if you ever manage to build an indoor swimming in your premises it would be the thing that misses from your hotel to keep kids even more busy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Heraclis72
Greece
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We booked three rooms, through an internet offers and spent two nights there. As you reach the Hotel it seems very nice and so is the entrance/reception area. But after that, dissappointment begins.
More analytical:
- Very old furnitures, hit by the years and customers
- Rooms seem old, having some dirt in many places in (dust on the heating, old broken furnitures, dirt and stainss-black spots in the corners of the wc, broken color/wall in balcony)
- Bad decoration in the room
- No good heating in the room (you can't choose the heating, so they offer it for some hours within the day, but they stop it aroun 1:00 am so you wake up freezing)
- No heating in the common area, especially in the lounge, which was very cold to stay for relax

A few good things:
- Good breakfast (althrough they dont refill quickly and they charge any extra coffee than the boiled served)
- Excellent and very friendly service, from anyone we met (reception, bar, breakfast room).

Generally, the Hotel is getting old and needs immediate renovation. This was also the opinion of some people in the village, we discussed with about it, as they said it has very high rental and also the new owner, due to the crisis, does not invest much for construction work/renovation. Keep in mind that in winter the area is freezing, so that lack of heating will not make you feel comfortable and also the broken corners of furnitures and the old materials give an impression of dirt to the quest. And I also think that it's very expensive for what they offer

Room Tip: Avoid the yellow rooms (as they are the low category and they are older)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dimitrios-GR
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We went there in February and it was lovely. It was snowing the whole weekend and our kids -and not only- had a great time! Our room was with 3 beds- one double and one single- plus a baby cot, so there was no actually enough space for everybody but we didn't care, as there were so many things to do! We were in our room just for...the night! We had no view from our balcony.The bathroom, although small, had everything we could asked for! The fridge in our room was out of order, so we used the restaurant's fridge to keep our baby's milk.(That was a problem, but the stuff was helpful and ready to give it to us anytime buring the night).
The lobby area was fantastic with the big fireplace and the sofas ready to provide a relaxing evening.There was NO SMOKING allowed, except from the playroom,as they call it, so everybody was happy! The food in the restaurant was delicious, although there was not a long menu to choose from. The breakfast was nice with lots of things plus the 'trahanas' soup, which was rather strange to have first thing in the morning..!The room service was fast and the snacks were tasty.
The parking was a bit far away from the entrance, so either you leave your luggage and family first in front of the hotel and park later, or you do walk a bit, which gets difficult when it's dark or snowing!
There are some restaurants close to the hotel, but I would tell you to drive a bit more, so that you will enjoy more of your meals and pay less.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kainaface
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Located in the village of Mikro Chorio, Country Club Hellas is deffinately a destination for skiers/snowboarders,either friends,couples or even families. The rooms have great mountain views an both sides and the welcoming wine and tsipouro are an extra touch. 5 star rooms with all the necessities.
Breakfast is great and the lounge cozy. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful. Distance of approx 30 minutes to Velouhi ski resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank theodorekakoliris
Piraeus, Greece
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The rooms are big (we stayed in Suite No 1) but the building is a bit old although whitout lacking the mountainous Greek character and well cared for. The staff is very attentive and kind. Theit lounge is beautiful and inviting and they even have a smoking lounge with beautiful, really comfortable chesterfield sofas. Their restaurant is quite good, with an excellent selection of Greek wines. All in all it was a very relaxing experience, but I'd try something else if there again, just for the sake of variety...

Room Tip: Opt for a room that's not close to the stairs and with a balcony that overlooks the mountain'...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple