“Charming Hostess, OK Wines, too.”

Velo Winery & Cellar Door
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Legana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Penguin, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Charming Hostess, OK Wines, too.”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The cellar door is prettily positioned back from the Highway and is filled with light--lots of windows and an airy, open feel throughout. The host, also the vineyard's co-owner, was personable and customer oriented. The table service was a bit impersonal and aloof, by comparison--not sure why they were a bit jaded and stand-offish--a bad day, perhaps, or perhaps our group was too large for them to serve comfortably.

The wines are reasonably good and well priced, but only the reds are made on the property; the rest are made by contract winemaker. Still, the winemaker did a good job; all were drinkable, but the Pinot Gris was the definite standout.

I would take friends there for lunch for the setting alone, and for the pretty presentation of the meals.

Visited March 2013

Alsager, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Over-priced food, so-so wine, terrible service.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is the first winery on the Tasmanian 'wine route' out of Launceston. It should not be your first stop. It's par for the course that, at the wineries with cafes, you're going to pay a little more for what you eat but I'd call around $20 for a minute cheese plate with two cheeses taking the biscuit... if there was ever a biscuit included to begin with. The cheese plates and cake that three of us ordered took about twenty-five minutes to arrive. When I asked where they were I was told they were being 'plated up'. Clearly cutting a cheese wedge and putting a cake on a plate takes longer at Velo then elsewhere. All that would be semi-acceptable (the views and location are good) if the service had been anything other than rude, brusque and occasionally non-existent. I had to ask for a menu, having been ignored by the person who seated us, chase up the food and when I went to pay was told to 'just wait a minute', whilst something pressingly urgent was accomplished elsewhere. Possibly Velo just didn't want my money. That's fine, because I no longer want to give it to them.

Visited March 2013
Tasmania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“So relaxing, a great meal and a glass of wine....”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Velo is one of the closest wineries to Launceston, only a 15 minute drive and it is wonderful that now they have added a lovely new restaurant called "The Barrel Room" with a wine tasting area. On a sunny day, the outlook from the restaurant is lovely and there are also tables outside on the balcony. There is something for everyone on the menu, small tapas style plates through to mains. The wine list, as you would expect, is excellent, with their own wines plus many others to choose from, if you dare.... The service is friendly and you could really stay here for quite a while! It is advisable to book on the weekends as it is very popular. Please taste their wines, all of which are very good and are firm favourites in our cellar!

Visited February 2013
Launceston, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Beautiful view, fabulous food, kind & friendly service”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had lunch with 4 friends at Velo on Sunday afternoon after driving past for months admiring the beauty of the place. WOW! What a fantastic new place to eat. The menu is crafted with great care and very interesting and has many very nice choices. I chose the Tasmanian Salmon which was just delicious and cooked perfectly and rested on the most tasty potato rosti bed I have ever had. Yum! Delicious vegetables. The wine list is very exciting. Velo wines and plenty of others. We had a bottle on the table of a Velo Pinot Gris which they all loved and 2 of us drank a very nice Pinot Noir by the glass. I was amazed at the trouble 2 waiters took to make sure we selected the wine we would like very much, not just be happy with. These people really know their stuff!! The desserts were just drop dead delicious and unusual. I had a chocolate mouse that was in a tall glass dish and was swirled with marinated cherries and caramel candy slithers that were a wonderful compliment. The others all had gorgeous desserts. Coffee was good. The nicest thing was when the waiter came out and said he was offering an extra complemtary coffee if we wanted because he apologised that the coffee did not come at the same time as the dessert! Heavens we were all touched by his kindness. This is the place that can become your favourite restaurant! The decor is divine - very artistic and stylish, great colours. On a sunny day the sliding doors are open and tables on the deck if you want. It is not cheap but it is very good value. The restaurant was packed with happy people! Thank you for a memorable afternoon!

Visited February 2013
Launceston, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“tasty as!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Had lunch with my wife here and shared a plate of antipasto followed by two very refreshing desserts.Food was excellent,friendly service with a nice outlook over the vineyards.I had a local beer called Paradise Pale(brewed by Seven Sheds)and it was tasty as,the wife tried a Velo 2010 Shiraz and enjoyed it that much we bought a bottle for later.They call themselves a Cafe but would put many a restaurant to shame.

Visited January 2013