“Grand pallidium only good for those who dont sweat the smallest things”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I read so many awful reviews and i will just say, do not listen to the negative! This place is beyond wonderful. I will not even complain about one thing because the little things I could complain about would be completely petty and rude. No one here is ignorant unless you treat them that way. there are hundreds of staff members at this huge resort, so of course you will run in to a few that are not so "friendly". I went here to put all my stress and worry away, thats what vacation is all about. this place gets better every time I go. We went back in May, and will be returning next year for sure. Dont worry lol you will get a wash cloth every day. and bring your own if your worried. Very nice place, really cool staff, wonderful night life, pools unbelievable! nothing really bad to say, if there is it was minor. And for the price you pay, you get a lot more than you expect. I look at it like this. If your ignorant and have a bad attitude like your better than them, you get treated the way you deserve to be treated. I seen people not tip there, and that is just flat out wrong. Tip the way you would your fellow americans! You get respect when you give it. other than that if you dont sweat small stuff then you will have the time of your life

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cindy C
Write a ReviewReviews (7,237)

Reviewed January 31, 2010

My wife Penny and I stayed at the GP Jamaica from January 19th to the 26th. Arrived on the 19th at approx 1530 got through immigration and customs in about 20 minutes including baggage pickup. I had arranged for a private transfer through Reggae Tours and proceeded through the gauntlet of tour and taxi drivers to the Reggae Tours Rep. He took us to meet Devon our driver. What a great company and great guy. If you do nothing else to get ready for your trip book a private transfer with Reggae Tours they do an amazing job. Best decision I made about my trip. Devon was helpful and knowledgeable about Jamaica and offered to stop if we wanted. Arriving 45 minutes before the bus and a relaxing check in was a great way to start the trip.

Check in was fast and courteous but less than friendly unlike the person who greeted us with rum punch and a huge warm and inviting smile. I had sent a request of Ocena view Villa 13 2nd floor. What I was assigned was road view Villa 20 3rd floor. Now this is where you could get nasty and push the room assignment but I thought screw it I am in Jamaica it is 30 degrees and sunny and I am going to complain about a room assignment? No way it was fine. They put our bags on a trolley and off to our villa we went. Got offered weed on the way into Villa but we politely said no and it was “no problem mon”. The villa is amazing and the driver helped us to the room and pointed out the amenities. Small problem with the room as it was missing the Ipod Dock. Since we only brought our touch to communicate with our children back home recharging the touch was imperative. We made a phone call to front desk and they said it would be taken care of by housekeeping. We unpacked and started to explore the resort and stopped by the guest relations desk to sign the Palladium Addict guest book and tell guest relations about the ipod dock. I figured the more people I told the better it would be at getting 1. We checked out the main pool and the beaches and went to dinner at the buffet. Just FYI you could eat at the buffets all week and have great meals every time. The pasta bar is amazing and you should try it when you are there.

Pools

The pools were all great. Particularly enjoyed the relax pool as it is not as busy and you can just, well, relax. The main pool is huge and busy but never a problem with finding a chair. I think the resort was near capacity because the main pool was always packed. The adult pool was also busy every day. The spa pool was never busy but it is shaded and not many opportunities to catch some rays. No complaints about the pools at all.

Beaches

My wife and I are not really beach people but we found ourselves on the beach almost every day we were there. We really enjoyed the sunset cove beach although again it was busy!!! Pretty sure they were at capacity. Again no problem finding a beach chair even though they were pretty busy. The beach lunch at Sunset cove is not to be missed the jerk chicken is very good and the Rice with fish and chicken is awesome. 1of the best meals we had when we were there. Yes the beaches are a bit rocky and coarse but we found them quite enjoyable.

We ate at the buffet mostly and the breakfasts were great. The lunch buffets were also very good. Restaurants were hit and miss. We enjoyed the appetizers and soups at all the restaurants however the entrees were not very good at all. That being said I never walked away from the restaurants hungry. Overall I would say the food was above average.

Rooms

The Ipod problem got fixed the very next day and big thanks to Shirline our maid for making our stay very enjoyable. Never had an issue with the towels or face clothes or mini bar or cleanliness of the room. The room is ample and we always had everything we needed. WE DID TIP EVERY DAY LIBERALLY!!!! I think this makes a difference. We asked for milk in the mini bar for the coffee in the morning and lo and behold the milk showed up the very next day. For the 5 dollars a day to the maid and 2 to the mini bar guy it paid off. 2 days I got Red Stripe beer in the minbar and towel art on the bed with flowers. My wife thought this was amazing. The main hall had a light burnt out and it was fixed the next day. The electricity card was left in every day and was never touched the whole time we were there. There is a problem with humidity in the room which could be easily fixed with a $69 dollar dehumidifier built into the walls and drained away. I am a HVAC Fuels Safety inspector and know from where I speak. Dehumidifier would help with AC and humidity levels. That being said no problems with AC on 3rd floor whole time we were there. In fact I told my wife to pack an extra blanket and she was glad she did. Overall 1 of the best rooms I ever stayed in. Oh yeah never a problem with shower flooding the bathroom just point the shower head away. Shirline did this for us every day anyway. Did I mention she was great? She received a bottle of champagne at the end of our trip.

Bars

All of the bars were pretty good. The sports bar was the easiest place to get a drink. Miss Lou’s was second easiest. The bars are all busy during the day and you can wait for a drink at most of them. Las Brisas bar was a write off during the day and the main pool could really do with an extra bar on the Jamaican side of the resort. The swim up bar is understaffed and extremely busy most days. However that didn’t stop JJ from K-Oing my wife on the second day. She spent some time in bed on the second day. Rum punch is awesome but it does pack a punch!!!! Infiniti bar is great in the evening but same problem waiting for service. Just sit back enjoy the view and the warm breeze someone will get you a drink eventually.

Spa

We enjoyed the couples massage in the spa and it is definitely worth the money. The attendants and staff at the spa were excellent. No problem booking a massage. Might want to have a room for guests after the massage to relax in and drink the champagne and water. But overall a great experience and would definitely do it again if we returned.
Day Trips.

We took the $14 Negril shopping and Ricks Café trip. Great value for the money. Most if not all souvenirs, rum and coffee are cheaper or just as cheap at the airport. Specialty pieces picked up at roadside stands cannot be found at the airport however and you should take advantage of the shopping trip for those items. Rick’s Café is awesome and a must see when you are there. We also booked a day trip with Reggae Tours for Dunn’s River Falls. We requested Devon and he was a great choice as he stayed with us the whole time and provided background information on Jamaica its people and various sightseeing opportunities. Dunns River Falls is amazing and if you can afford the trip you should go. 1 of the best days was this day trip. We stopped at Scotchies for lunch and enjoyed authentic jerk chicken yams and Red Stripe. Devon explained how they make the chicken and warned us about the hot jerk chicken sauce. I appreciated the warning as the sauce is very hot but also exceptionally tasty. Great Jerk Chicken and highly recommend the trip to Scotchies. Devon also stopped off so we could get some rum and souvenirs and it was much appreciated. Devon is a credit to his company and we consider him a friend.

Suggestions.

Extra bar at main pool on Jamaica side
Lobby bar on Jamaica side
Dehumidifiers in the rooms would help with Ac and humidity in room.
Free Wi-fi throughout resort

Complaints?

None. Really I have no complaints about the treatment we received or the resort itself. Is the service slow at times? Yes. Is it a problem? Not for us we wanted to relax and this exactly what we did. A couple of times we had to wait for coffee in the morning but eventually received it. I kept marvelling at how they fed all of those people every day 3 times or more a day. There was a problem with pool towels on a couple of days but that is because the towel card rule was not being followed. Some people had 6 or more towels for 2 people. We witnessed this on a number of days. I observed numerous guests complaining loudly and management surrendering to their wishes. I sometimes wonder if people go on vacation to treat people poorly. WE respected everyone while we were there and were always treated with respect in return by the staff. I cannot say the same for some of the guests.

Overall

Overall we enjoyed ourselves immensely. We would not hesitate to return to GP Jamaica however maybe at a less busy time. We would recommend this resort in a heartbeat. I appreciate the knowledge of this site and helped in making my experience at the resort very enjoyable. Am I an Addict?

YEAH MON!!!!!

8  Thank mmason68
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I have traveled a lot in the last two years and this was the worst place I have stayed. First our room was not ready and then they told us we were getting an upgrade to a suite. We were in building 40 facing the woods and next to the road, as far from the beach as you could be. The safe did not work (no batteries) and not even screwed into the wall. The TV reception was bad and in the morning we had no water for a shower, repeat no water. After we complained they switched our room to the other side with a water view. Room was nice but ants all over the bathroom. So bad that they got into my partners medicine in the morning. Also no towels or face clothes. We did manage to get two towels so we could take a shower. Next day we had a note in our room saying "sorry there are no towels, but I will bring them later". Well no towels for another two days. The same is true about the beach towels. The were out of towels everyday we stayed there. About 30 people would meet at 8:30 in the morning (they opened at 9:00am) outside the towel hut and tell their "horror" stories about the poor service and no towels in the hotel.
The bars uses cheap booze and the bar tenders act like they are doing you a favor. Tried to get a mojito at 5 different bars and was always told they could not make them because they just ran out of mint. Food compared to other all inclusive resorts was also sub standard and the wait staff was slow to bring water ,coffee or wine.
Although this resort is priced low, it is no bargain, They are not geared for the large number of guest they have.

4  Thank skipsun
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Palladium 21-28 January 2010 and I must say that overall I was pleased. This will most likely be a lengthy review and there are things that I want travelers to know before booking. I also hope that the management at this resort uses this as a tool to correct problems. We have traveled to many all-inclusive resorts (Riu, Bahia Principe, Barcelo). This was at least our tenth visit to this type of resort. To start with, the resort is a monster. There are two lobbies, Grand Palladium Jamaica and Lady Hamilton. If you book one you could be placed in the other which can create some confusion. They should eliminate the two names and simply call it by one resort. This would have eliminated one of the problems we had immediately upon check in. We had reserved Lady Hamilton with a king size bed. We arrived at around 5pm. This of course was after an hour ride from the airport. I read others complain about the distance but that was really no big deal to me. Anyway, we arrived and were told that our room would not be ready for about three hours and were offered a room with two queens. This was a common theme among the other guests checking in around me as well. Due to the time of day I agreed to the arrangements and was given a room assignment in a building that was located the furthest from the main facilities (pool, lobby, restaurants, bars, etc….). This building was on the Jamaica side and confused me as I thought one might be inferior to the next (they are simply mirror images). My real disappointment was in the fact that it was so far away from everything. Listed in the accommodations is an adult pool and beach. This is right up my alley since we don’t have children. After agreeing to the room and then looking at the map I realized that building 19 and the adult pool were 1/3 of a mile apart (maybe exaggerated but it was far). Additionally I didn’t understand why I was going to a different resort. We informed the rep that it was not going to be acceptable to which we were told that the Lady Hamilton side was completely booked and that building 19 was all they had. How can this be? I reserved and paid for the Lady Hamilton! Finally the so-called manager arrived and after a pleasant but firm exchange we were moved to a more centrally located building and upgraded to a larger room with a King bed (you get further with sugar than spice, right). There were many others having the same problem. Some tried to be pushy and their assertiveness seemed to fail. After reading this you may ask, “what’s the big deal”? In the big scheme it worked out fine but I found it ridiculous to be told that my room would not be available for 3 hours and I was checking in two hours after the check-in time. Now let me state that the room was awesome! Two flat screen TV’s, large bed, stocked ‘fridge, and large tub. Probably one of the most nicely appointed I have seen in all of my travels to all-inclusive resorts.
The pools were pretty nice. We were eager to visit the adult pool and we didn’t stay very long. It was always crowded, loud music that seemed to annoyingly fade in and out and skip and there was always a line at the bar. The bartender seemed to be in no hurry to serve the guests in spite of my tips. What most folks didn’t seem to know about was the pool referred to as the “relaxation” pool. First off, it was right outside my door and was rarely crowded. Additionally there were rarely any children running around. The bartender here, Natasha, could also really care less if she was serving anyone. I tipped her which would at least draw out a smile but she moved at a snails pace and was often more interested in talking with the pool staff than helping guests. This I also thought was funny, the pool staff. There was always a pool attendant, lifeguard and a bartender. The pool attendant was responsible for the towels, which were always out of stock. I could never figure that out. They would arrive at around 10 with fresh towels and by 11 they would be out of stock and often for the remainder of the day. Once they were out, the attendant spent most of his day sitting under an umbrella drinking with the lifeguard. Yes drinking. Natasha would slip them booze all day long. The bar ran out of beer for two hours one day, CO2 on another day and the pool was out of towels everyday. It just seemed poorly managed. Regardless of these silly little problems, I loved sitting by the pools. The weather was nice, the pools were clean with no strong smell of chemicals, the chairs plentiful and in working order and luckily we always had pool towels. Bring your own large insulated cup and you can avoid standing in line as often for a beverage. The main pool was beautiful however I cannot comment on the activities, as I never spent much time there. When I did wander past I would notice that the pool bar seemed to be a party but was generally ten guests deep with one bartender. One bartender for the swim up bar at the largest pool in Jamaica is unacceptable. This also seemed true about the bar next to the volleyball courts. I have read reviews of others complaining about the temperature of the water. It was cold but the air temp was 90 so I enjoyed to cool water. I don’t go to the pool to take a bath, I go to cool down. Overall I would rank the pools among the best I had seen.
The food quality was outstanding. I can’t think of one bad thing to say about the food. There are an assortment of a la carte and several buffets. You don’t need reservations and are not limited by the number of a la carte restaurants that can be visited. We ate at the Italian, Asian, Mexican and Creole. The service was always outstanding! There were waits but nothing longer that I have waited at a restaurant in the states. This could be avoided by timing. It seemed that if you got to a restaurant around 6:30ish then you could expect immediate seating. If you arrived later it could be an hour. I had read complaints about this but I was on vacation and this didn’t seem to be an issue with me. I would suggest remaining in the area around the hostess stand, as they seem to announce either a name or a room number for seating. If it goes unheard they move to the next guest. This seemed to cause problems. The buffets were great. I will admit that the breakfasts could be a little annoying. There was always a line to be seated. This seemed to be due to a poorly managed operation. Often they were out of coffee cups, flatware, etc… They were determined to set the tables with two forks and two knives per seat at breakfast. Now I am not that uptight at breakfast. Furthermore, tell me where to find everything and treat it like a regular buffet and I will find my own plates, utensils, etc… This would immediately eliminate the line of 10+ waiting to be seated.
If you have read any of the other reviews you will read complaints about towels in the rooms. This became almost comical. If you are a gambler you could make a daily game of “how many towels will I get, will I get any or which type will I get”. My wife quickly learned that washcloths were a hot commodity and would lock them in the safe. One day all of our towels were removed from the room and not replaced. None, zero. No bath towels, no hand towels, and no face towels. Luckily, there was still a cleaning person working our building so we were able to get towels from him without having to call the lobby and wait for someone to bring them to us. There was a sign similar to other hotels asking to save on water/cleansers by hanging towels which can be used again and to put dirty towels you want replaced on the floor. I for one don’t need a replacement daily however the staff would take them regardless if they were hanging or not. You can tip, beg, plead and still it is towel roulette. This was the same for fridge restocking. Some days 3 beers, some days 1 water, and some days you would not get anything.
Tours of the area seem to be made available by a variety of agencies on the property. There is also a taxi service, which is available however they seemed rather expensive. We decided to visit Negril however; the Taxi company quoted me $80US for a round trip. The tour agency located next to the Bob Marley shop offered the save service for $14US. This tour included a shopping trip in Negril at a small shopping center called Time square (buy coffee here, it seemed the least expensive) and then an open-air market. Personally if I returned, I would not even bother getting off the bus at the open-air market. They are very aggressive and every booth seemed to sell the same exact stuff and vendors begged you to enter their area. Had I been in the market for some clothing colored in the Jamaican flag colors this would be the place. They probably had great deals but I didn’t have the patience. Stick to the Times Square market. This tour ended with sunset at Rick’s Café. It was a great time. Lots of music, food, fun, bands, and for the adventurous, you can dive off the surrounding cliffs. If you are hoping to come home with some Jamaican souvenirs, don’t buy them at the resort. It is worth the $14 tour price to save money in Negril. Popular items seemed to be Marley and Red Stripe T’s. These are approx. $10-$15 more at the resort per shirt. For example of how bad the prices are, I wanted to buy a Marley Bio (paperback). The price printed on the book was $14.95 however the price attached was $60US. Seriously!?!? The airport had similar prices as Time Square on these items. You can wait to get the stuff there. I would suggest you buy any blue mountain coffee in Negril, as it was a little less expensive.
The beaches, as you may have already heard, are not like the 7 miles of walk able sand in Negril. The sunset cove beach area has several activities such as sailing, paddle boats, etc… There were bars and food available, plenty of chairs and shade. I am more of a pool person so I spent little time on the beach and cannot provide a good review.
Marijuana, marijuana, marijuana. I read many reviews of folks complaining about being offered drugs. It may or may not happen. I don’t know if it depends on your gender or appearance. I must have the face of a user because I was asked quite regularly however my wife was never approached. We were not off the airplane for more than 10 minutes when I was approached in the airport. approached by members of the resort staff, approached in time square and in the market. If you don’t want any simply say no and they don’t seem to be pushy. I will warn you that if you are bothered by marijuana and its usage, you may want to avoid Rick’s Café. Public usage seemed to be accepted. Be careful if you are planning to take your kids to watch the cliff diving as they may be exposed to drug usage.
If you plan on being there during the Superbowl, go to the sports bar. It will be packed and fun. We watched the last playoffs there and had a great time. They had a large spread of food, plenty of TV's and there did seem to be enough staff on hand. I would recommend showing early as there will be a lot of folks if it is anything like the playoff games.
This place has the potential to be an awesome, simply awesome resort. The grounds, buildings and pools are beautiful. The food is great, restaurant and bars are plentiful. The problems seem to stem from a lack of employees and often resources (towels, cups, etc…). The bottom line is that management needs to get on the ball and fix them. I would pack my bags and return tomorrow. I had read the reviews prior to my trip and was prepared for the small problems and they in no way ruined our vacation, but a lot of small (easily fixable) problems/nuisances add up quickly. I know this was rather long but I felt it important to share my experiences in an effort to assist future guests.

7  Thank Bighurt
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We chose to go here because we had a great stay at the Grand Palladium in Mexico. Not even close because they didn't have our room ready and gave us a down grade. Waited for 3 hours to get a tv remote and the mini bar was not stocked. Service at the front desk and shuttle was very slow. The 3rd day we were able to get a junior suite and the room is bigger with seperate living room. The staff at the restaurants was very polite but service seemed very slow. Food was ok and alcohol was ok. The beach was small, rocky, and not very appealing. We will never return to this resort.

1  Thank ppek
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Jamaica resort. The Lady Hamilton was there as well. There was absolutely not 1 bad thing about the trip. The staff was fantastic, always very accommodating and friendly. The entertainment staff was too much fun. Sure the food was not five star quality but it was very palatable. The hotel itself was always very clean as were the rooms. Overall, we got more for our money than we even expected. I would definitely recommend this place to friends, family and colleagues.

6  Thank tami105
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. However, the service was both frustrating and slow. Aside from a few genuinely good staffers that were willing to help, it was impossible to get the simplest things in our room - clean towels, a coffee pot for our coffee maker, and a plug for our jacuzzi tub. After repeated attempts to get these items, we would either give up or improvise. I have never been treated like a nuisance while on vacation at a resort by the staff; however, we felt as if we were just that when we needed to make any request. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until they are under better management. Also, if you don't like waiting at a bar for 15 minutes everytime you need a drink, or an hour to sit down for dinner, then stay somewhere else!

3  Thank cm220
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#20 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!