“AMAZING! - Don't believe the negative Reviews!”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Los Angeles, California
“AMAZING! - Don't believe the negative Reviews!”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This is my first review ever on a hotel. But my vacation was so great that i had to give this place a great review! After reading the reviews given by other members, i was a bit skeptical but i figured there are always going to be those picky people who like complain all the time. My experience at the Grand Palladium, was nothing short of amazing. I stayed for 5 days and 4 nights, at a junior suite with a friend, our room didn't have an ocean view but who really cares when you're rarely ever in the room anyway? The staff was awesome, we had some of the nicest waiters and waitresses they were all very sweet and helped us out with recommendations on the best food or drinks to get. Christin was one of the bartenders over at the bar on the 2nd floor over looking the pool, she makes the best Mudslides! The food was great considering this is an all inclusive hotel, the jerk chicken was awesome! Make sure you try some when you drop by sunset cove -- the best beach on the resort. My favorite restaurants were the Steakhouse and the Creole restaurant. Make sure you bring along a bunch of singles to tip the waiters, they work hard and they deserve a few bucks here and there -- plus they'll take care of you even more. Didn't have time to go inside the actual pool, walked by and it was absolutely gorgeous!

We took the tour to Ocho Rios to play with the dolphins and see the waterfall. Make sure you shop around the tables at the resort, because they offer the same packages but some charge more than others. And when you go on the tours take cash! So you can take advantage of the cheap souvenirs you can get while you're out, the ones on the resort are ridiculously expensive.

All in all my experience was amazing. Our room was as clean as can be and was cleaned on a daily basis. No one tried to steal from us or break into our room or our safe. If you want a great relaxing vacation, this place is for you!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sarit8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We got married here with 30 family and friends. The whole trip was amazing from the minute we arrived. The service was great and the room beautiful. Our room was always very clean and the mini bar stocked. Everyone had a great time! We had so much fun at Sunset Cove with the paddle and sail boats. Mostly, we relaxed by the pool and on the beach.

We went to all of the restaurants and I thought they were all fantastic. My husband did not enjoy the Indian restaurant and our entrees at the Asian weren't very good. However, everyone loved their appetizers and the sushi was great. We payed extra for lobster one night at the Seafood and it was definitely worth it.

Our wedding was perfect and the resort staff did a great job. We got married in the gazebo and it was beautiful! Then we had a reception above the main pool. I got my hair and nails done at the spa and everything was just right. I also got a massage later in the week and that was fabulous as well.

The pool was reopened just before we arrived and seems to be totally repaired. We enjoyed everything about our trip. From the people, to the food, to the drinks. Everyone was so nice, especially to my elderly grandmother. Some of the staff even gave her gifts before she went home. So sweet!

I don't know how anyone could stay here and not have an amazing time. I guess some people just will not be happy with anything. If I was going to nit pick the only negative things I can come up with are: I did see a huge roach but it was dead and in one of the hallways. I don't know how this could be avoided as all of the buildings are open and it's tropical island! The buildings are showing some wear and tear but I think that's due to being open to the elements. Washcloths seem to be in high demand. The battery died in our safe - no big deal they repaired it quickly. Some complained about their AC. We were on the third floor and didn't have any problems. It's difficult to get change which really stinks because I wanted to tip more than I did. Go to the front desk early in the day because they run out of small bills fast. The food and drinks were so tasty I think I gained 10 lbs ;). I can't think of anything else.

I can't imagine a more perfect trip and for the price, you can't beat it!

• Stayed November 2009
6 Thank JenLT29
Alberta
Reviewed December 6, 2009

My husband, along with another couple spent a week at this resort. Everything was wonderful from start to finish. The rooms were lovely & clean, the food was fantastic, and the service we received was second to none. The resort is beautiful, and we found all of the staff to be friendly and welcoming. Nickesha Haughten, in the Blue Lagoon Restaurant, was our favorite server... what a sweetheart she is! We enjoyed all the excursions we took, but particularly enjoyed zipline tours! Great vacation... would not hesitate to recommend this resort!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karen B
British Columbia
Reviewed December 5, 2009

I must have read every review on this site before our belated Honeymoon (a year late) to Grand Palladium. I have to say, all the completely negative reviews aren't worth reading. The ones that have a couple negatives you can probably find truth in. It's definitely more entertaining to read over these now that I've actually stayed there.

Towel situation - they provided us with two new towels every day - occassionally we had a hand towel, we didn't recieve any face cloths, and the bath mat was non-existant. With all that being said - you're in Jamaica - relax.... how often do you shower in a day? We spent our days at the beach and pool... lack of towels really wasn't an issue and if you call to the front desk, the house keeper had new towels ready by the time you came back to your room. .... AND if you tip your house keeper (we left $5 a day) she makes BEAUTIFUL towel decorations on your bed.... so you get extra towels that way!

The food.... it's really just all about preference... but I would have to agree... it's nothing spectacular. The first night we were really excited and thought it was great... but it's the same thing every day for the most part so after a couple days it got a little boring but who cares! You're in Jamaica! The restaraunts aren't really great... some people raved about Bubba's... my husband who eats EVERYTHING didn't even care for it, but again, some people enjoy it... it's food..., you're not going to please everyone. The absolute worst food ever at the resort - at the Creole restaraunt....I THINK it was supposed to be mashed potatoes... but I swear it was play-doh potatoes... absolutely the most dreadful thing I've ever seen and tasted in my life. I almost feel like telling you to go just so you can see/try it. Best Jerk Chicken/Pork is at Poissidons (sp?) the restaraunt by the water sports beach. Food was kind of hard to get a hold of after the buffet closes though... only the sports bar had anything and while we were there, there was always a huge line up.

The pool is completely fixed with the loose tiles... and they were doing some maintenance around a portion of the pool area... but it's like any other building... it needs up-keep and maintenance... there are always people out doing yardwork, trimming things, cleaning, etc. Overall the grounds of the resort are beautiful and very well kept.

The beach by the pool isn't great for walking along and in the ocean... but the adult beach and the water sports beach are good. The beach by the pool does have tonnes of chairs and little huts to stay out of the sun. They also have some beds and some towers... lots of fun and room for everyone.

The booze.... I'd have to agree with some other posts... it's really crappy. My sister doesn't drink, but did while she was there, and she was able to have 8 different drinks with "rum" in them and didn't even feel tipsy within a 1 hour time frame. I think it's either really watered down, or just really crappy liquor. Red stripe is near impossible to find... only at the sports bar and miss lou's on tap.

You can drink the tap water!! Not like mexico where you have to worry... we drank the tap water the whole time we were there and never got sick. It was great. Definitely a HUGE positive in Jamaica.

One thing that I wished I had have read before going and didn't so I will share with whoever is reading this.... we travelled with air transat... but there are other airlines that do this as well... they have their little welcome meet/greet thing... and then they start to talk to you about different packages/day trips you can book... and get you to come book with them... DON'T.... as with anything and everything in Jamaica... SHOP AROUND. There is a little store down by the main gift shop... close to the bob marley store... they offer all the same packages for anywhere from $5-$100 cheaper.

Speaking of gift shop... don't buy anything there. As per any other gift shop, everything is slightly overpriced but actually not THAT bad. The reason I say not to shop there is because... once you get to the airport through security/customs... there are something like 52 duty free stores. As long as you have time before your flight... you can shop there and there is a way larger selection and cheaper prices.

Two things that got REALLY annoying while we were there - number one was smokers. For myself and the 3 other people I was travelling with... none of us are smokers... so we really noticed. People are inconsiderate and light up EVERYWHERE and because the building is somewhat open, smoking is permitted everywhere. The most annoying time was during the nightly show. It really ruined it because people would light up right in the middle and cloud the air with cancer causing pollution. It was really frustrating. The other annoying thing was people ASKING for tips. My husband and I tipped quite a bit while we were there (a week long stay and tipped over $200) so it wasn't that we minded tipping, it was just when someone would REQUEST a tip... the resort wasn't bad, but as soon as you went on any day trip or anything you really notice it.

We went on the "Cool Runnings" trip to Dunns River Falls. It was a lot of fun but I can't say I was completely amazed. It was expensive and really kills an entire day. The travel time from the resort to the place was about 3 hours. We didn't get back until about 8pm so it sucked but oh well. If you do think you're going to go - make sure you bring water shoes. They have some to rent for $5/pair but they're kind of gross, probably don't clean them, and they had holes in them. I read a review that said that and was like "whatever" and didn't bring any - we rented and I really wish we would have brought water shoes.

The Spa... I just read one saying that it was the only thing worth while. I would say that's a load of crap. The Spa is contracted out and the employees there are nothing like the friendly staff in the hotel part of the resort. Holy smokes were they rude in there. Everything is way overpriced. Again, personal opinion... but go see for yourself and let me know how it went.

You should participate in the daily activities down by the pool because they do recognize you every night at the show and give you a bottle of Jamaican rum!

Air conditioning...I would have to agree with almost everyone else... it was pretty muggy even with the AC on... we left one key card in the electrical slot so that it stayed on while we were out of our room during the day and it was still kind of stuffy. Just remember, you're in Jamaica... it's hot... that's why you came... relax and be thankful that there is any sort of air conditioning :)

It is quite a jont from Montego Bay to the resort... but I would say it's worth the extra 40 minutes from the airport. It's nice to be out of the hussle and bussle and not be bothered... and there are reasonable taxis and trips you can take into town if you choose to anyway :)

I could go on forever... but really all there is to know is Jamaica is beautiful, the people are beautiful and everything is irie! There are never any problems in Jamaica, only slight situations, so sit back and relax... that's why you went there in the first place... and if you just follow their way of life, you'll be doing just that.

Oh... and one last piece of advice... if you plan on going on any day trips or taking a taxi anywhere... wear a diaper. I almost crapped my pants multiple times... they are CRAZY drivers!! Entertaining, but reckless. I made it home alive as did everyone else on my plane so don't worry!

3 Thank Yilly
Lexington, Ky.
Reviewed December 2, 2009

The positive first: The place is beautiful. The grounds are well maintained and the pools are spectacular. The rooms were clean and ample sized.

The negative: The food is mediocre. Nothing was ever great. "Bubba's" a-la-carte restaurant was literally inedible – I couldn't swallow the so-called T-Bone steak. We left and went to the buffet. The others are alright, but not outstanding. The alcohol for drinks is very, very low grade. Never heard of most of them. Don't expect to drink plenty of Red Stripe either! They only have it on tap in the sports bar and Miss Lou's - both of which are deserted most of the time. The resort is located out all by itself. It is not really in Montego Bay, it's closer to a village called Lucea. There is nothing you can walk to from this place. A trip to Negril is about an hour away on a bus and Montego Bay is about 35-40 minutes away. We took a shopping trip that included a trip to Rick's for sunset in Negril one day for only $14/person. It was worth it to see the area.

The Grand Palladium is beautiful and I'd say it's worth the money, b/c it's pretty inexpensive for an all-inclusive. But if you are looking for something spectacular, this is not the place.

3 Thank Sha P
South Carolina
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My mom and a friend took me and a friend to Jamaica as a spring break/birthday trip and we absolutely LOVED it! Yes, sometimes service and staff at the Grand Palladium were slow -- but that's the Jamaican culture. They're all on "Jamaica time" and once we got used to it, it's something we should all slow down and try. There was always food and drink available and we ate a different restaurant every night (there are about 10 different types of restaurants plus 2 buffets). The pool and beach were beautiful. The walk from one side of the resort to the other was not bad, and they do have a taxi service -- again, on Jamaica time. My friend and I really got to know the entertainment and bar staff and they were amazing. There was a different show or some sort of entertainment every night, as well as games and activities by the pool. The staff really tried to get everyone involved and make their vacation fun. I must mention that if you won any of the poolside activities, you were recognized at that night's show and awarded with a bottle of Jamaican rum =)
Scheduling trips to surrounding cities and sites was very easy and the staff helped us out with no problems.
Room service was a bit slow, but the resort is very large and other guests need things as well. Again, I can't say enough about Jamaica time. If you need something in a hurry, you're better off going to the office instead of waiting.
It was overall a great trip and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank SCgirl10
New York
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Ok, so I got a little worried about the bad reviews I read before my trip but now that i've experienced the resort, it really wasn't that bad. First, the positives. The resort itself and the grounds are beautiful. The pool is awesome and although the beach right at the main pool is not the best, you can find the better beach further down at the Lady Hamilton Side...Water activities are easy to sign up for. Swim up bar was awesome and I personally did not experience any problems with broken tiles in the pool. The staff was very friendly and tried to get people involved with the activities. The all-inclusive package is the way to go. Although dining was easy (just get seated, eat, and leave) the food was mediocre at best. Buffets were not very good. Some people raved about how awesome the food was but coming from New York and having traveled many places, the food could be MUCH better. The a la carte restaurants were good...wasn't crazy about the italian rest but the mexican and steakhouse were suprisingly good. The bed however was quite uncomfortable. Even for my boyfriend who likes a firm mattress it was still uncomfortable. The a/c didnt work so well. The room felt muggy at times and there was definitely a shortage of towels. Over all, the resort was very nice and a great place to relax and not go too crazy. But if I were to return to Jamaica again, I'd def try another resort. Also make sure you always go on guided tours arranged by the resort cuz you really can't leave the resort. I could've never imagined the poverty and solitication you experience outside of the resort. But don't let that discourage you too much.

2 Thank Valerie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,915 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!