“Bad Stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Tamarac, Florida
“Bad Stay”
Reviewed June 26, 2009

My spouse and I went to Jamaica for our one year anniversary,
We met up with four other family members that where staying at
The hotel with us. We arrived and while waiting in the line to check in
7 people came up to the desk with complaints from no A/C to getting
A key to a room that was already occupied. Our room had no A/C for the
Entire stay. IT WAS HOT! The room stank, and sheets were moldy.
We saw the cleaning lady using water from a pond to clean the floors.
The service was horrible, no room service, no wifi in the rooms(you have to pay extra). It's an all inclusive hotel but they charge you for every little thing you can imagine. The staff is not trained, so they have no idea what's going on. The bar never had any drinks, they just kept saying they don't know how to make that or they are out of drinks. Its like WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING! Anyway, I tried my best to make a bad situation good, I played mini golf, basketball, tennis, and went to the pool. The pools are nice, the nightly plays they put on are nice aswell. The excurtions they offer aren't bad either, but overall service and stay in or on the hotel grounds is unpleasant for the amount of money you have to spend. I must say that I did get a good deal on the package to stay here. Air fare and hotels stay for a week was around $750.00 per person. CHEAP! But you get what you pay for or worse. Next year I'm going on a cruise, or back to Cancun Mexico, the people are more friendly. I am a jamaican native and my people can be very nice but not here in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 25, 2009

13 of us visited from June 16 thru the 23rd. 6 kids ranging from 11 to 16 years old. Mostly everything above average except the beach. Sunset was the only one worth going to. Sand was hard and brown not the white fluffy sand like Riveria Maya. But it was enjoyable there. We had 4 rooms and ours was the hottest by far. Avoid the 3rd floor. I was told at the front desk that they were having problems with all 3rd floors. All staff including the front desk were very nice. My nephew did cut his knee on a broken tile in the pool that required 5 stitches. Some food was warm at best but overall it was very good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank CATMAN3
Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica June 18th-22nd. I have mixed feelings about this resort so I will break it down.

When you get off your plane and enter the airport you get swamped by workers wanting to carry your luggage. We refused and said we could do it, but he took off with it and insisted he would take it to the bus for us. Again we said no but he kept going. Then, when we get to the bus he says, "OK, you must tip me for carrying luggage." We said no, we didn't ask you to carry it, but he kept on insisting we needed to tip. Finally we did to get rid of him. It is very annoying and the whole island, no matter where you went, people informed you that you must tip.

The hotel was beautiful and the island was breathtaking. The resort is a 600 acre spot, it is huge. We checked in and got room 1630. It was at the back of the resort and on the 3rd floor. There are no elavators. They also do not have air conditioning, they have coolers which is water cooled and sent through vents to your room. Our room was stiffling hot. Miserable. These people have a very different way of life, they get in no hurry about anything. We called everyday about our air not working, were nice at first, but then ended up getting irate and demanded to be moved to a room with air that worked. It never happened. We were miserable the entire trip because our room was so hot and unbearable. They do have little carts that come by and pick you up so you don't have to walk so far but there was no schedule, they just came and went as they pleased. There are no air vents in the bathroom at all and with the other vents in the room blowing warm air, you can imagine how horrible we felt the entire trip. If you get room 1630, do not take it.

The rooms were awesome. We had a suite and it had 2 balconies and a huge whirlpool jet tub. No complaints on the room itself, it was great, the air not working was the bad part.

The food was wonderful. However, all of the Al La Carte restuarants require men to wear long pants to enter so take some jeans or slacks if you have a male with you.

The drinks were great but in really small cups and the bartenders got in no hurry to make them. Be sure and take a mug from home with you because they will fill it with a drink. The cups they give you are really small but they have no problem filling whatever container you give them. Trust me, take your own mug and use it. If you forget and have to buy one at the resort they are anywhere from $15 to $30. The people at the resort were all nice and didn't ask to be tipped at all. I don't mind tipping, but I don't want to be told I have to, which will happen at the airport, so be prepared.

It rains everyday around 3 or 4 o'clock for an hour or less. But the humidity wasn't that bad, of course I am from Oklahoma where the humidity is horrible so maybe I just didn't notice. The wind blew during the day and felt nice but it didn't blow much at night which was weird.

The ride from the airport was only about 25 miles but with traffic and construction it takes about an hour to get to the resort. The town was so poor and run down that I didn't want to go shopping there so I got my souvineers at the resort. If you smoke you need to buy your smokes in the US. It is too difficult to get back to town and it didn't look safe and the ciggarettes in the resort were $10 a pack. I don't smoke but I saw them in the gift shops for $10.

You can not expect things to get done in a timely manner at the resort. If you get in a hurry to get things done you will stay mad the entire trip. We did not have wash clothes the entire time we were there, for some reason the maid never had any and was always out of them when she cleaned our room. We kept askking but never got any. Our safe did not work either and that never got fixed either.

All in all it was an OK vacation I guess but we were just so miserable from the heat we had a terrible time. I think if we had a cool room and the air worked we would have had an awesome time. It was weird in the room too because to get your air and electricity to work you had to keep a card key in the holder on the wall. We only carried 1 key with us so we could leave 1 key in the holder, but if you have someone in your room that wants to go somewhere other than where you go and you take both keys with you, then the air shuts off completely and your room is a sauna when you get back and takes forever to cool off. Ours never cooled off but others in our group had really cold rooms. If you have a small child or are handicapped you need to request a room on the bottom floor close to the reservation area.

I am glad I took the trip but I don't think I will ever go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SashaArchey
Michigan

Resort/Grounds:
Overall, the resort presented itself well. The gardens were beautiful and well taken care of. We often saw people working on the gardening. As written in the other reviews, there were pool tiles missing. Actually, there were quite a few. It wasn’t going to ruin our trip, but it was noticeable. Other than that, the pools were clean. The Roselle pool is deeper than it says- at least five feet. Watch out!
Sunset cove was a fun beach, and the beach to go to. It looks like there will be a bar and towel exchange put up closer to the beach.
The rooms and bathrooms were spacious and clean. A note about the air conditioning: there is no way it is going to cool off the room the way Americans expect it to with the humidity there. Also, as an energy saving method, there is a switch that shuts off the air conditioning when you open the sliding door. That could be why the air conditioning wasn’t working in some rooms.
It is a spacious resort, so be ready to walk. However, there are trams you can call if you'd like to catch a ride.

We thought the food was pretty good, better than our last all-inclusive.
Breakfast: The breakfast buffet had an omelet station, and there was something to please just about every taste.
Lunch: We highly recommend going to the Poseidon restaurant for lunch- it is partial buffet, but that’s where you can get the jerk chicken- yum!
Of the seven a la carte restaurants, we went to…
Bubba’s (steakhouse- nothing special)
Pastafarian (Italian- good, order the cassata for dessert)
Poseidon (really good- order the Marlin Tostada appetizer, also good dessert)
Xamayca Creole restaurant (our favorite…loved the jerk chicken and plantain appetizer and lamb entrée)
BBQ on the beach: A must-do if you’re there on a Friday. At this time of year, if you want the sunset, sign up for the 6:30 dinner.

Activities
We didn’t do too many of the activities, but there’s something for everyone. Water aerobics was fun. The dance lessons were fun, quick, and not at all intimidating. The schedule of activities was slightly different from the one we were given when we checked in (they did reggae dance lessons each day).

Culture
We didn’t experience any problems, with our room or service. Everyone at the resort was really friendly. Sure, service wasn’t speedy. They weren’t in a hurry to get my drink, but I never waited more than a couple of minutes, and they’d rather visit with guests than work, but that just seems to be part of the laid-back Jamaican culture.

We enjoyed our week at the Grand Palladium Jamaica.

2 Thank hebner1210
MD
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed at GP as part of a wedding group. There were about 65 of us.. and we all had different concerns/issues. Firstly, like most other guests stated they are very VERY laid back in Jamaica, no one rushes to serve you. So, therefore, most of our crew's rooms were not ready by 3pm as promised. And when you ask about it, the front desk folks tell you 10-15mins... but they really mean 2 hours!
It rained for about 30mins- 1hour everyday --- you must be very careful walking through the resort b/c the floors are marble- and very slippery!
The food- not the best by far. When I'm on vacation, I like to eat good food--- even the breakfast food - was just ok. very bland... the a-la-carte restaurants weren't much better. except for the Jerk Shack, The Seafood restaurant next to the Jerk Shack and the Steakhouse.
The room- again, for this place to be so new, I didn't expect holes in the ceilings and walls. The layout was nice, we had a jacuzzi tub and all... very roomy- but just not too tight with the construction!
If you can pay a few extra bucks, do so... i will not stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank pricelesstraveller
Cedar Rapds
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We had an absolute blast! I was getting nervous hearing all the negative reviews, but so worth every penny and then some. My only complaint is that we didn't get an ocean view room like we were supposed to (we got over it pretty quickly). The resort is beautiful, the staff is awesome, and we will go back. We enjoyed the steak house the most and not to mention the awesome breakfast buffetts. The views were beautifull. We recommend the Dreamers catamaran snorkel and booze cruise in Montego Bay. The boat docks at Margaritaville at the end for drinks($) and shopping. My wife enjoyed the foot massage at the end of the ride. The trip was $75 each and very well worth it. We love the Grand Palladium and can't wait to go back!!!!!!

1 Thank miamivicecedarrapids
Jemez Springs, NM
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I will start with the positive. The rooms were beautiful and the grounds were well kept. The hotel offered a variety of adventure tours and activities. This is a good family resort. On the down side. We experience a variety of issues. Our room faced the parking lot and they couldn't make any changes until the following day. We requested a change with a ocean view and were told a $15 dollar upgrade per night. We had to hammer a bit to get the ocean view with a king bed. It took 2 days to get a beach towel from the hut. The hotel offers a good variety of foods and different restaurants. The bad side is the restaurants are extremely slow in bringing out your order. Like the other reviews this hotel is in Lucea not Montego Bay and you are quite a drive from Montego Bay and Negril. Taxies are $50 one way and tour buses are less, but you are stuck with the schedule of the tour and it's stops.

1 Thank alwaysprincess7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,915 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!