“a great resort with everything you can imagine”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We just got back from a lovely week at the palladium! the hotel is very well planned out and has pretty much everything one could ask for! Because we've been all over the carribean before, and to jamaica and were very nervous when we saw all the crappy reviews afterbooking! luckily none of them were actually justified.
Theresort is new, there are a few loose wires, cracks and 25 second power outages; however its such aspacious and luxurious property the minor details arent significant. in fact the property is so sweet that theres usually a wedding or 2 daily

the rooms are spacious, clean and pretty. they even provide you with an IPOD deck and a 32" plasma, and of course the jacuzzi.our maid was awesome! because its an ecofriendly hotel you need to actually request new towels and cleaning, which requires simply hanging a sign!!

the food is awesome, the a la carte dinners are unlimited unlikemost otherresorts, and are truly very good!we loved themexican italian and indian places..the steak house was the best hence the crazy line ups

the entertainment is pretty extensive: day time, kids stuff, nighttime theres shows and a live band.. really nice... 24 hour food atthe sports bar and beer....along with pool, sports, ping pong .... theres a disco, an arcade a faux casino with slot machines.. a nice variety of things to do! they even have a cute littlecigar lounge

the beach is relatively nice, not as nice as Negril but much nicer than other countries..if you goto sunset cove watch out for the holes in the beach those are crab holes..theres a bunch of them sllover sunset cove!

the staff were overall really friendly: tips arent demanded by them however like everywhere else, people appreciate being tipped for the good service they provide!everybody all around welcomed you and was really sweet and theres even security patroling the resort saying hello just to make everybody feel safe!

we didnt go in to the main pool but it was massive and there were a bunch of other ones!

the property is giant but we lived in one of the furthest buildings and yes it was an 8 minute walk to the lobby...but its JAMAICA besides if you are really lazy you can call a little cabby cart, or simply wait for one they go around every 10 minutes!

the only crappy part was that they werent good at front desk communication and we had to really flip out to get a late check out (our flight was at 9 pm and the standard check out is 12 noon, which wouldve left us roomless for 6 hours with our stuff) they do provide you with 'courtesy' safe and luggage lock up and communal showers..but they do accomodate late check outss if you really insist!

GREAT resort really recommend it!! it was spotless, upkept brilliantly and very well planned out!

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 20, 2009

If you have already booked your trip, relax, you are going to have an amazing vacation. If you haven't already booked and you're looking for five-star service, well, this isn't for you. But, if you're looking for a relaxing vacation at a reasonable price, then I would definitely recommend this place.

-- Bring your own insulated mug only if you are going to be drinking beer. Otherwise, they put the same amount of alcohol in the drinks and fill the rest of the mug up with mix. You're drinks will be much stronger in the cups that they give you. Tipping at the bars will not get you better service. As an aside, bring a insulated water bottle and ask them to fill it up with ice & water - perfect for when you lie at the beach.

-- We never experienced the power going out... but on the other hand, we were at the pool the majority of the time. I guess if you hang around inside your room all day, you'll be affected by power outages.

-- Yes, if you are in the caribbean during the summer - it will be humid & hot. The rooms, despite the air conditioner running all day, were still not as comfortable as what we are used to at home. My hair never really ever dried, but that wasn't the hotel's fault - it's the climate, mon.

-- Bring lots & lots of $1s, $5s and $10s. Small bills are great for tipping both inside and outside of the resort.

-- Our maid left two clean towels each day, so no complaints in that department. Since it's so humid, the towels will remain damp which might pose a problem to some who take multiple showers a day. Hint: They leave a stack of towels out near the restroom in the upstairs lobby - if two clean towels a day are not enough for you, just grap a couple as you're making your way back to your room from the pool.

-- Showers are not broken, it's just a faulty design. Of course water will leak when the shower head points directly towards an unsealed shower door. Just don't turn the water up full blast, or better yet, hold the removable shower head in your hand.

-- Do not buy an international calling card in the States to use while there as there's a government restriction and you won't be able to use it. If you need one, they sell them all over the resort for $20.

-- Bring watershoes, snorkeling gear (if you have it) and a deck of playing cards. Wear watershoes in the pool if you are really freaked out about the missing tiles (which aren't a big deal at all) and if you decide to take the Dunn's River Falls excursion they are a requirement. Snorkeling is great for first-timers and kids; if you're a pro, you might be a little disappointed.

The resort is huge, but I was surprised how most of the restaurants and bars are all clustered in the same area. The breakfast buffet was by far the best meal of the day, the Indian restaurant was great (no lines ever, which was a plus), and the jerk chicken at Sunset Cove was amazing. All the other food was ok, not the best, but definitely edible.

The disco wasn't really happening and the entertainment, well.... hey, at least they tried.

At the end of the day, your vacation is what you make it

4  Thank elena_in_virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Where to start?? We Stayed on the Jamaica side of the resort from June 11 until the 18th. We arrived early and from the very beginning we all knew this was going to be GREAT! straight to check in and they told us it would be a bit before i room was ready. No problem MON. we went and had lunch came back about 45 minutes later and we were all set.We stayed in villa 17 room 36, and may I say perfect. Yes this is a big resort, so if you don't want to walk, just call they will be happy to pick you up..We did walk alot but wiyh all you eat you had better exercise. Now the staff, From the bellboys to the front desk and everyone in between, THIS WAS THE BEST CUSTOMER SEVICE I HAVE EVER SEEN! Entertainment crew,all I can say is get ready to get involved. They want you to have fun all the time. My daughter was busy from the first day. If you don't want to participate they will let you slide.Thanks Superman and 007, this is a vacation myself ,wife and daughter will not soon forget. The food: May i say we were spoiled. We ate more food in our weeks stay than two weeks at home.(Thats why we walked alot.lol) plenty of variety and choices. We did all agree that Bubba's was the best. Every buffet and ala cart were excellant.
The room: Big, clean, well stocked everyday. From towels to the minibar. I know tips are included but we did tip a little to the maid everyday and was worth every penny. I have nothing negative at all to say about our stay other than it was not long enough. only left the resort one day to go to Dunn's river falls and we all had a great time. If you have booked, go open minded and what a surprise you will see. I read every review for 3 months prior to our trip and i must say it was 100 times better than we could have imagined. By the way No problem Mon. Be sure to visit Clyde at the Infinite bar, He is the man.......

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank tandjlee
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We just returned from the Grand Palladium Jamaica and had a great time. The food is wonderful and I loved the layout of the resort. The main pool is awesome, but they do have the issue of tiles breaking free and so you need to watch your step. The overall resort is really pretty. The construction was clearly done poorly, so you won't want to expect perfection for sure. The beach that offers the boats is nice, but not the quality of some of the other beaches I've seen in the Caribbean.

The bottom line for me is, we got a really good deal on this place, and for what we paid I was really happy. But, if you want perfection, this isn't your resort. You get what you pay for. But, we had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Momoffit
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Went to the GPJ Resort and Spa on my honeymoon June 7th-12th. After reading the reviews about this place before we left I thought people were just picking, but after staying there I found out that was not the case. This was my second time to Jamaica and I must say the airport has gotten MUCH better, got through customs and everything fast. It was about a 40 min ride to the hotel (Sunday morning at 11am so no traffic). Got to the hotel and the room was not ready, no problem we got some lunch and walked around to get to know everything (the place is HUGE). Told us the room would be ready by 3pm which it was. Got to the room, the bell boy showed up how to use the room card to keep the room "cool". The rooms are beautiful but like everyone is saying never got cool. The shower was a complete joke! I had to stop the shower 4-5 times during a shower to let the standing water drain, however our hottube did work. I wrote our housekeeper a note with $10 telling her to keep the mini fridge stocked and plenty of towels, which she did, no problems there. Food was hit or miss, some nights were great others were ok at best. The service I felt was pretty good, we did not meet anyone who wasn't very friendly. The power did go out like 7 times, but never for more than 5 min. still kind of annoying. The tiles in the pools are a problem, why they did an inch by and inch tile thourghout the entire pool is beyond me. Take sunscreen!!! It seems like they would start one project, do it half way then stop and start something eles??? I think they need some better management and things would be ran much more smooth. I hate to say it but I feel the place will be closed within a year or year and a half. Its just SO BIG I dont think they have enough help to keep up with everything and the lack of management doesn't help.

All in all we made it a good time and we didn't let anything ruin our honeymoon. If you already booked there you will be fine. Nothing to serious to worry about just some little things besides the shower, that really bothered me.

Reviewed June 19, 2009

my boyfriend and i recently stayed at the grand palladium and really had a wonderful time. before we left on our trip we read many reviews on trip advisor and felt like we were really prepared for the trip. here are just a few thoughts/tips that i hope help you on your trip.

1. airport - yes, you might have to sit on the bus and wait till it fills up. if you don't want to do that, then i recommend not purchasing the round trip transportation and paying a little extra or splitting with another couple to take a taxi to the resort. our bus ride was quite enjoyable and felt like we had our own personal tour guide telling us all about the sites as we were headed to the resort.

2. check in/rooms - the staff was very friendly and quite accommodating in helping us switch rooms. the first room smelled terribly like smoke and for two non smokers we couldn't even pretend to stay in there. our 2nd room was on the ground level and unfortunately facing the "road" and really was not what we paid for. our 3rd room was someone else's room, but luckily they were very friendly and we all laughed it off while having a beer together. our 4th room was closer to the main resort/pool and just fine. we made sure to make use of the jacuzzi everyday and really just enjoy the amenities that were offered in our rooms. if you tip the maid on the first day you will be sure to have clean towels, just leave the dirty ones on the floor.

2. resort itself - was so much fun. we wanted just a low key vacation away together and we sure did get that. we never felt rushed, always had an easy time finding a seat at a restaurant, bar , pool and beach. the drinks were quite tasty and very strong. we purchased bubba kegs (insulated mugs) prior to our trip and i recommend that to anyone. with the all inclusive they give you mini sized dixie cups but if you bring your own cup they will fill it up no problem. the bar tenders, waitstaff and entertainment staff work very hard and keep the energy and party going. we brought singles with us and would tip a few dollars everyday and could tell it was greatly appreciated. the latenight entertainment at the infinity bar was our favorite. it was nice and relaxing while at the same time you could get up and dance a little. the views are beautiful! every late afternoon my boyfriend and i would go to the beach behind the main pool and lay on the lounge chairs and watch the sunset. no matter who is around you feel like you are all alone on the beach. also make sure to use the hottub at the spa. it is a full size pool that is a hot tub. we usually ended our days there after the sun set :)

3. food - its all inclusive, don't expect gourmet food. we went to the mexican, italian, creole, buffets, bubbas, posideon, sportsbar, you name it we tried it. they were all very good for all inclusive. all of the ala carte restaurants require long pants of the men, it is kind of nice how they try to instill a nicer dress code for evening. if you are looking for a trip where the food is the highlight then this is not the place for you.

overall, we had a wonderful vacation and only wish we could have stayed longer. i know a lot of people said the resort is falling apart, and yes it needs some work. there are a ton of tiles coming up but just be careful. someone else said it and i totally agree, its not your pool, so who cares you are on vacation. relax and don't let the little stuff bother you :)

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank funchest200
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have always had nice things to say about the resorts in the caribbean, until now that is. My entire stay at the Grand Palladium Jamaica was plagued with problems. Day 1 we were met with rude people at the check-in desk. Their total disorganization led to many people being assigned the wrong rooms and several awaiting to even get a room assignment. I was in the dark repeatedly due to electrical shortages, power outages(use the jacuzzi - be in the dark), and etc. I was assigned three (3) different rooms during my 5 night stay. The beds were ok but the bed linens always felt damp (all 3 rooms). The linens were not changed daily but the beds were remade-that's with spots on the linen or not! Getting info on anything from the desk help was like pulling teeth. The food was edible but nothing to brag on. Waiting to be seated in the buffet restaurants made me feel like a child. Many of the servers were not friendly and their service was lousy or non -existent. The number of servers were too few sometimes even to get a glass of water. There were blue towels thrown in numerous spots on the floor to soak up water. The ceiling was leaking over the area the bread, rolls, and toaster appliances were kept. Many times these were unplugged and left just sitting there to get wet. I could go further but I get mad even thinking I spent my hard earned money on this place! I would have run away from there screaming within the first 2 days had it not been for Spence, the night manager; Brenda, a server in the MoBay buffet; Dalton and Daine, cart drivers; and Kevon and J.J. from the Sports Bar. Thanks to you guys personally! You all tried to make it better for me!

• Stayed: June 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!