“Take a cruise instead.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Burlington, VT
“Take a cruise instead.”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband and I went for our honeymoon from June 1st - 8th. Overall, it was a very nice place. It was my first time to an all-inclusive resort, and his second. We did the airport transfer with Jamaica Tours, and I definitely recommend it. The driving is crazy, not to mention they drive on the left and there was no parking lot at the resort (or, I never saw one.)

LIKED:
-layout... I am a big walker, and loved the spacious layout.
-buildings were beautiful, and I did not see any problems that others complained of (ie: wires, cracks)
-pool was a good temperature, and swim-up bar was great. Did not find the wait time to be long at all! Yeah, a few tiles were missing. But maybe people shouldn't be pulling them off. I saw workers ALL NIGHT working to replace as many tiles as they could before the guests started ripping them off again.
-the room was great. Good A/C, nice bath with jets, flat screen TV, patio.
-service. Every employee was kind and helpful.

DISLIKED:
-FOOD! I have been dieting for 6 months for my wedding, and I came ready to eat good food and lots of it. The portion size varied from restaurant to restaurant, but the food usually was gross. Chicken with large veins and arteries, big pieces of bone left inside, hot food was usually served lukewarm, and desserts were dry and flavorless. The only restaurant we truly enjoyed was Lotus.
-flies. I know it is hard to control flies around food, but they were all over the buffet areas! They could have installed one of those blue bug-zapping lights or something.
-alcohol was kind of cheap tasting, and there was usually too much for me to handle.
-nightly entertainment was very amateur. Emcees went WAY overboard with phrases like "That wasn't loud enough... let me hear you make some nooiiisssee"
-gift shop cost an arm and a leg..... DO NOT forget sunscreen! They were charging US$20 at the resort for a little bottle of Hawaiian Tropics!

Overall, tipping got us great service... no one's required to tip, but we did.

I wish I had brought extra books, games, sunscreen and snacks. I found myself frequently bored, and hungry at night. I'm not a big drinker, and the activities were not very interesting to me (ie water aerobics, reggae dancing lessons)

Knowing what I know now, I would choose a cruise any day over a Grand Palladium-style resort. Cruises have better food, more food, excellent room service, tons of entertainment, and a much more helpful staff who do not expect tips. I overall enjoyed the G.P. and I'm sure you will too, but I would not return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eoj531

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,835)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Me and my boyfriend and our 14 month old son had got there on may 29th to june 6. Our room was ready right away probably cause we got there after 7 pm....The people at the front desk are not that nice but who cares u only really see them when u check in and out....they weren't rude just not very welcoming.......

Room: The room was georgous, we had a one bedroom...which comes with a living room and your bedroom..we had two balconies, two t.vs....and we had a ocean view..we stayed in villa 11 which is next to the main lobby and right next to the main pool...we never had problem with the AC we were actually cold..we always had the fridge restocked with everything...the water pressure in the bathroom was great..the tub was great me and my son were in there everynight...and we always had lots of towels....and our room was always done first....we left a tip of 2 dollars u.s. everyday for the maid..

Resturant and staff:
The food was great, the staff were very nice to us..we always tip everywhere we go..our favorite place was the jerk hut..our fav waitress was karlene...she's the best my son loved her..we will always remember her.

Beach
we always went to sunset cove beach which is nice but there beaches could be better since i'm a beach person...but the water is clear...we had gone snorkling and that was cool....that made up for it....

We didn't go out at night as we were there with a 14 month old, so not able to give u that info over all we had a really good time, we enjoyed the people we thought they were really nice, and we didn't have any complaints.....and yes there is crickets but that's not the resorts fault u are in Jamaica.....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank jaycee0815
rhodeisland
Reviewed June 10, 2009

bring sandals to the beach and the pool

bring your dunkin donut mug to the pool bar

bring your muscles to carry your luggage

bring your nikes to walk because everythings so far away and they drive crazy

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank girlstripgirl
Colorado
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I escaped to the Grand Palladium Jamaica for 4 nights in late May. This was our first trip away from our two young children and we were excited to say the least. We have stayed at a Grand Palladium in the Dominican Republic so we figured that since we had a great experience there, we would in Jamaica too. Well... it wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't great either.

TRANSFER:
We took a bus for about 40 minutes from the airport to the hotel. We arrived on a Sunday so the traffic was light and the construction was non-existent. When we returned on Thursday however, it was a really slow ride (over an hour).

CHECK-IN:
We checked in fairly quickly and (as we expected due to the time of our arrival) our room was not going to be ready for 3 hours. We were told to enjoy the restaurants, pools, bars, etc… There are nice changing facilities in the lobby. When we went back to get our key we were on the Jamaica side and were told that our room was on the Lady Hamilton side and we had to go to the other lobby. Not a big deal, we like walking. We finally got our room keys and told the bellman that our bags were in the lobby on the Jamaica side and were told to wait. The staff was not very friendly, but eventually we got our bag and got to our room.
OUR ROOM:
We had a Jr. Suite and it was very nice looking. We quickly realized that once we entered our code into the safe that the door would not open. So, we had to call maintenance and ask them to come fix it. It took quite a while, but someone finally came and we were told that we had to jiggle/shake/pull really hard and the door would open, or they would replace it. Given the fact that the staff had not been too speedy, we opted to not have the door replaced. Not a big deal. Many people have posted about their AC not getting cold and we completely agree! Although the room was slightly, and I mean slightly, cooler than outside, the AC was definitely not putting out cold air. We just sucked it up and didn’t complain.

THE POWER:
A few people have mentioned that the power went out while they were there. It went out several times every day for us! The first was while I was in the ladies room in one of the lobbies… there were no back up lights or anything. Luckily it was only out for a minute or so. One morning while lounging in our room with coffee we timed the length of the power outage and realized they were exactly one minute in length, leading us to believe that this was done on purpose (there were no storms at that time). We don’t know if that is the case, but the power went out a lot during our stay!

THE FOOD:
The food overall was good. Nothing spectacular, but not terrible. It was nice to visit any restaurant we wanted without needing reservations. We did find that the service was really, really slow however. We had to wait for a table (not too long, and not a big deal) only to find that when we got into the restaurant there were many open tables (why the wait??). The servers were not very attentive (we aren’t high maintenance people – but we have gotten better service at Chili’s in the States). That being said we were extremely pleased with the Sunset Cove restaurant and bar. The service was fabulous (what we would expect at a nice resort), the food was terrific and the ambiance incomparable. We actually dined there twice just because it was so wonderful!

THE BARS:
Again, we found that majority of the bartenders were bothered by having to serve people and it seemed that we were inconveniencing them by wanting a drink. It was a little frustrating. Many guests there had insulated mugs/cups for their drinks and we wish we had brought ours! It was a great idea! Makes for many less trips to the bar. The drinks were great though... once you got one!

TIPS:
No one wanted to give us any change for US Dollars and finally we got smart and went to the currency exchange in the hotel and got Jamaican money very easily. Wish we would have done that on day one! Everyone there seems to expect a tip. Although there is signage saying that gratuity is included in our stay and you should only tip if the service was wonderful. We did tip many, many times, but there were many times when we felt we could have served ourselves much better.

Jamaican Influence:
We really wished that there was more Jamaican influence at the resort. We felt that we could have been in any country. There weren’t live Jamaican bands (or even recorded music for that matter) that we found, and there was very few Jamaican influenced menu items (aside from the Creole restaurant). It would have been fun to “feel” like we were in Jamaica.
OVERALL
The grounds were nice and the location is nice. It’s a VERY large resort and when at capacity (as it was when we were there) it’s hard to get away, but there are places to go where there aren’t so many people (i.e. Sunset Cove and Poseidon Restaurant). The water is really nice although the beaches are rocky – which is fine, that is the natural terrain. The hotel overall was not in the best of shape. Although it just recently opened, we thought it was 10+ years old. There were cracks in the foundation, MANY missing tiles in the pools, large fountains that were not in working order and just had stale, dirty water. Although we were pleased with our Grand Palladium in the Dominican Republic we would never return to this one in Jamaica, nor would we recommend it to friends. For the amount of money we spent we didn’t feel like we were welcomed by the staff (as always there were some exceptions of wonderful staff members!). All in all though, we had a good time and made the most of our kid-free fun in the sun!

Hopefully people find this posting helpful. Safe travels!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ColoWelch
North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Location: The hotel is about an hour from the airport due to traffic - and these people drive like maniacs! The hotel is beachfront, but the coastline is very small. Most of the ocean is rocky, so we stayed at the pool.

Check-in: Being the first off the bus, we ran to the check-in counter and anxiously waited for our room. The receptionist said our room was not ready and that we should check back in an hour. Then, all of a sudden, the power went OUT! That was depressing. My husband and I looked at each other. I have a habit of displaying my feelings with facial expressions - so the receptionist knew I wanted an explanation. She said, "This happens a lot during storms." It was storming, so we tried to blow it off - but then we also thought, "This is a hotel, shouldn't they have that looked at?" She went ahead and "explained" things to us, but we were completely confused. We were given a map and basically decided to rely on that. While waiting for our room, we decided to eat. In an hour, our room was ready.

Food: The buffets were best for us. We were very concerned about having to pay extra fees for checked luggage, so we didn't pack prom dresses and tuxedos for dinner. We went to the Italian restaurant one night and everyone (guests) was so stuck up and we felt very uncomfortable. The buffets have everything you can imagine. You can eat Italian every night if you wish at the buffets. There are air conditioned restaurants and outdoor restaurants. We did not try them all, but the ones that we did were very tasty! My husband and I were very shocked at all of the tipping going on. We paid for all-inclusive; including tips. The servers are apparently used to tips because they knew how to suck up to guests that they thought had money. Unfortunately, this affected their performance. Basically, after you get your initial drink in the beginning - that's all you're guaranteed.

Room: This is very frustrating to talk about. I was so angry the first day that we arrived and couldn't stop crying. As we entered our room, it was very beautiful. That's about all I say that's good. When actually looking at the room - we started to notice "things." First, it was so hot! We turned the air down as far as it could go, but never seemed to get cool. I think they may have an antifreeze leak! Our bed and pillows were as hard as rocks. The sheets must have been a 10 thread count! I have never felt such rough sheets in my life! The towels were the same way. Ever heard of fabric softener? Our fridge was not stocked; our water would not get warm. The shower had an awful smell. The spa tub in the room had paint in it. The cable or satellite would continuously go in and out. There are no drawers for clothing. No extra blankets. The ice machine in our building was broken....

The staff was very friendly, but did not act on their promises. I asked two different guys for drinks for our fridge, but had to end up going to front desk to get anything done.

On Wednesday, we received a letter under our door that said their fumigators would be coming in on Thursday to spray for bugs. We had the option to opt out, but while reading the letter - I saw an ant crawl across the paper and figured it would be best to allow them to do their thing.

The last complaint I have to make is not directly about the hotel, but I feel that the staff could have done something to satisfy their customers. The CRICKETS in Jamaica are insane! My husband and I honestly thought a smoke detector was going off right outside our room! When I questioned the staff - they laughed! I asked if there was another building we could move to. Walking around the resort - we knew there were not psychotic crickets outside every building. They said we would get used to them eventually. Ummmm, no! I laid awake every night listening to these stupid things! They are not like crickets I have ever heard before. They have a loud chirp that goes on for about ten seconds - then stops for about five. If the chirp was continuous I believe I would have been able to deal better.

The power continued to go out throughout our vacation. We were there four nights and five days. Total, the power went out 7 times! Yes, we counted!

The place is already falling apart. We have a tile from the pool that we brought home as a souvenir. We could have collected enough to cover our entire house. The workers were replacing the tiles while people were swimming. Hello? The stones in the road were being replaced because they were settling in an unpleasant way. All of the yard work and construction is done by hand - yet every time we saw workers - they were just standing around looking at people. Hmmm...

Online, the resort is said to have all of these outdoor activities, but we had no idea where to find them. There is actually a schedule - so if you wanted to kayak, you could only do it at a certain time, on a certain day. They do not tell you this. When I asked for a handout of the activities, they could not provide one. So if I discovered when kayaking was going on - I still didn't know where I was supposed to go to participate in the activity. Uugghhh!

Overall, I would NOT recommend this hotel.

2 Thank ml77946
saint louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Just like all the other people out there, me and my boyfriend were suppose to go to cancun also and a few weeks before we switched to Jamaica! I'm so glad we did! It was awesome! We had such a great time! Okay guys...everything can't be perfect! yes there were tiles missing, food was not that great and yes guys must wear pants to all the resturants. but ur in paradise!! Just relax, and have a wonderful trip! All the people were very nice, and willing to help with just about anything. Dunn's River was a great time even though it was a 2 hrs bus trip, we also did Dolphin Cove which was an awesome experience and the Negril Shopping Tour. I have never gone to jamaica before but so glad we did! Their shows were great entertainment especially their ENT Crew. ! have a wonderful time and don't like little things get in the way of your trip!

1 Thank rhefley
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We are "seasoned" veterans of All-Inclusives over the past 20 years and have stayed in 4 and 5 star resorts. We are very laid back, especially when on vacation. Did we (two couples, late 40's, mid 50's) have a good time ? Certainly ! Does the resort have some, would you say issues ? Certainly

My Scale of 1 - 5, 1= Sucked 2 = Just OK 3 = Met expectation 4 = a pleasant surprise, 5 = Fantastic !

Front Desk Staff/Concierge - Was a 2 at best, not real friendly or customer service oriented.

Overall resort appearance - Looks great from afar, just don't look too close. They carved out a hill side to build this place. When it rains, all the water from up the hill literally runs through the resort and makes walking treacherous. Seems like they did not clean the lobby/shared area bathroom frequently enough.

Housekeeping - was a 4 for our rooms (Villa 18)

Restaurants: Buffets 3, Jamaican 5, Steakhouse (HA) 1(COLD, yes COLD soup, baked potato & steak), Seafood 4 (for lunch), did not do asian or indian

Bar/Bartenders - 3 (Pool bar is severely understaffed, Bartenders on 3 occasions LITERALLY said, they ran out of RUM (come on now...) or that their drink making machines were broke, or they had no ice...You HAVE to bring a large cup or mug as the drinks are served in 5 ounce cups, so when you add a bit of ice, you really don't get much. Oh yeah, you CANNOT get bottled water from the bars.

Rooms 3 - I mean it's a BEAUTIFUL room, super layout, lots of room, great balcony, really comfortable king sized bed - BUT, Air conditioning was totally inadequate. First night in the room, the light fixture on the patio blew off the wall, and the light buld broke into many pieces - glad I wore my flipflops !! Had some micro/mini ants or some kind of bugs coming our from where the vanity top meets the wall - we sprayed our OFF in the crack twice over the week to keep thm in check....Could not run the jaccuzi at the same time as our neighbors next room over or it would blow the fuses of both rooms, yeah, really...BTW - the power really does go off AT LEAST once per day/evening, no big deal, but come on, the place has been open a year, can't they bring in someone to figure it out ?

Pools/SPA - 3 I am going to attach underwater pictures of the tile issue. We never got cut, but for somewhere claiming to be a 5 star, this should of been fixed already...The SPA is a great feature, but almost all outside showers were broken and the tiles are shedding like snake skin there too !

Security - 4 - There are LOTS of security people around the resort and on the perimeter. All were very friendly to talk to.

Casino - 1 - come on, a place with 1000 rooms has 12 slot machines ?

Shows - 3 - It's a resort in Jamaica, typical of what you would expect

This place COULD be a 5 star resort, but needs work around the pool, the restaurants and customer service skills. We stayed in Villa 18, the farthest point away from the main buildings on the Jamaica side, it was fine, if you did not want to walk (about 1/3 of a mile), you could get a shuttle by calling the lobby. Our experience with the shuttles was fine. All in all, it was OK, expected better for what we paid from NYS. We won't be back anytime soon.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ogdenguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!