“Beautiful Resort with great food, some tips for your stay are below”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica the last week of May, 2009. We had a great time while we were there. The resort is beautiful. We stayed in Villa 11 which was right next to the Jamaica Lobby and pool. It was a perfect spot because everything was close by. The resort is huge so I think some guests would have quite a walk to get anywhere if they were in buildings farther away. The weather forecast was scattered thunderstorms everyday but it rained less than an hour each day. The rain was not a problem. It was partially cloudy most of the days but the clouds were a welcome relief from the sun.
Tips for your Stay:
1. Bring lots of sunscreen - the sun is very intense, and the humidity is high as well. If you run out of sunscreen you will pay $30+ (US) in the gift shop
2. Bring a Water bottle or coffee mug with a lid - their cups are small and it is not speedy to get a refill on anything at the pool bars.
3. Eat the Jerk Chicken at Sunset Cove Beach (where Poseidon Cafe is). They Grill the chicken and corn and it is delicious.
4. Try the Fried Tilapia at the same location
5. Bring your own snorkel gear - they provide goggles and a snorkle but not fins. The snorkeling right off the beach is not that great, you probably have to pay for an excursion to get to good snorkeling
6. Get a fried banana egg roll with chocolate ice cream at the oriental restraunt.
7. The Blue Lagoon has a TCBY machine where you can get frozen yogurt at lunch
8. Use a taxi instead of shuttle service for your trip to the hotel. We got in at 9:00 at night and booked a shuttle with Jamaica Tours to our resort. We waited one hour and 45 minutes sitting on the bus before they actually left to take us. They were waiting on some people who's luggage had not arrived. It was very annoying. (The resort is about 40 minutes from the airport, another 40 minutes will take you to Negril)
9. Don't expect anyone to be on time. Everything runs slow there. If you want to get picked up at 9, you will probably actually get picked up at 9:30.
10. Their version of air conditioning is not the same as ours - it probably gets the room down to 75 degrees and takes the humidity out of the air but it isn't cold enough for you to feel chilled going into the room.
11. Bring some water shoes. The tiles in the pools have started to come up and you could cut your foot if you slide your feet around.
12. Men have to wear long pants to eat in the a la carte restraunts. My husband wore flip flops with his pants so I don't think they care about the footwear, just that long pants are worn.

When we took an excursion to Negril the beach there was soooo beautiful. However, the resorts did not look as nice as the Grand Palladium. The beach at the Grand Palladium is pretty but not like the seven mile beach.

5  Thank CFK3

Reviewed June 1, 2009

My husband and I along with his two brothers and wives spent a wonderful week (May 16-23) at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort and Spa. You never know if pictures will do justice to the location. It was just as beautiful as all the pictures. We were a little apprehensive after reading some reviews prior to going. There were mentions of broken tiles in the pool, bad service, etc. There were some broken tiles in the pools but crews were constantly working to repair them. Our service was excellent throughout the whole week. We weren't sure about beach towels. They were provided. You will receive towel cards when checking in. You leave your card for a beach towel and retrieve your card when finished. If you lose your beach card, you will have to pay $20.00. The only restaurant that there was a wait for was Bubba's Grill. We waited more than an hour-but trust me, it's worth the wait! You will be serenaded by the waiters, the food and service is excellent! The only thing that was a surprise was that we were expected to leave tips for every service (housekeeping, waiters, bartenders, etc.). We were under the understanding that tips would be included. Other than that, our stay was wonderful. The staff treated us like royalty. We couldn't have aked for a better week!

2  Thank dkboeh
Reviewed June 1, 2009

as per our arrival on may 21 2009 the air conditioner was not working which went on for 3 days until the 4 th day they finally switched us 2 another room with the same problem still continued. They lied to us from the begining that it was an isolated problem which was not. Upon my departure i finally got a hold to speak with the general manager whom admitted that tho whole resort is affected do to 50% of electric power provided to the resort . there for they lied to me from the begining . they also promised me that on sunday to have my bags ready for a room switch by 12 oclock noon. that never happened i had to yell to get my room which they promised me which i did not get to 3:30 that afternoon . I had to stay on the resort for approx 8 hours until finally the room was ready. Upon speaking to other guest they were aloso unhappy. also note that this resort is supposed to be 1 year old shame on them this is not again not a 5 star or 4star .Also note that the tiles in the pool area were falling off and the beach front is some what neglected i can go on but i think you got the point . BE AWARE also note the general manager is jose luis rey who claimed to me that he was not aware of this until my departure which to me represents poor manage ment and quality control and service to the public......

Reviewed May 31, 2009

The resort is beautiful. There is beachfront, and plenty of it, and the food is really good. This is coming from an EXTREMELY picky person. The gifts in the gift shop are not over priced. Everyone wants a sea-view room. I requested, yes, requested one, as well, but there's only so many to go around. The tiles are coming loose in the pool, but things don't last forever. they need repairing after a while, and the resort was working on this. I saw plenty of people tipping. I, for one, was one of them. Maybe everyone was'nt tipping, because there are signs telling you that the tip is INCLUDED in your trip price, but you may tip if you feel you received exceptional service. My room was cleaned EVERY day, and I stayed for two weeks. ALL of the staff is friendly, and I never once seen any foreign object in ANY of the food, including a fly or hair. The resort is an open outside resort, and flies are proned to be in the air, but again, I NEVER seen any on the food. The beds are hard. I must say that, but all in all, the resort is a nice resort, and is worth the money and time to stay there. There was always plenty of lounge chairs available for the guests, and the guest were all friendly toward each other. I travel often, and am very picky about where I stay, and am very particular about the food I eat, how it is prepared, and the service that I receive from the server, but the resort put forth a generous effort to be accomadating and kind throughout my stay. The resort is quite a distance from Montego Bay airport, but if your'e on vacation, don't be so cheap. pay the cab fare, or go in on it with some of the other guests.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sirreecee
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We just got back from a week at this resort, and i just can't get over how people complain about such silly things, Service was good...sometimes a tad slow....Karlene was by far the BEST! we just loved her!
Common sense people, if you havn't notice this resort is "energy efficient" so when you leave the room there is a timer and everything shuts off...maybe why it is hot......here is a tip....keep one of the keys in while you are gone and keep the Ac on....it will be cool...we actually were cold at night at some point.
Another reason they don't give more towels than needed because they like to conserve the water and not wash more than needed.....if they are not on the floor they will assume they are clean...otherwise they will leave you new ones.
Food was pretty good....they had a wide assortment to choose from.
Beaches were nice...some were small but definetly nice, spa service was good as well!
As for it being in "Montego bay" it is not, but if you get a driver from the Juta company on there day off, they will drive you anywhere from morning to night for 25 a person.....the 4 of us went anywhere we wanted and stayed out as long as we wanted for 120 for us 4.....Stephen (driver) is the best and the nicest man......we went to Rick'c Cafe twice and local beach in Negril (very quiet and huge!) shopping you name it. it beats paying 30 back and forth for a period of time for one place.
Rooms were clean and spacious......some of the rooms are for from the resort but that is why they have the little shuttles...we were in building 20. It is a resort so expect that you will walk.
I don't know what more to say, but i had a great time and eerything about the place was pretty good so i would definetly go again!
Don't let the reviews scare you, people will find just about anything to complain about

7  Thank Jay2184
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Montego Bay today. We're generally not complainers when we're on vacation. Just give us a clean functioning room and it's all good, but I have to say that this hotel was a major let down for us. We've had better stays at 3 star hotels.

Check In Process:

Took about 40 minutes before we got a room. They told us the room was being cleaned and asked us to get a drink at the bar and come back in 15 minutes. We came back, and the room was still not ready, so they assigned us a different room than the one we were initially going to get. This second one involved a longer walk to the main building.

Room Condition:

1) The AC was not cold enough, felt humid in the room at times. (Notified front desk, and was told they would look into it, but nothing was done)

2) There was a water leak in the bathroom ceiling.

3) The safe was running out of battery. (We notified the front desk twice and nothing was done to rectify that.)

3) Jacuzzi Tub: Filthy

4) Lot of power outages

5) Fridge was not cold.

6) The room was generally clean. The maid actually mopped the floors and tidied up the room very nicely. The mini bar had about six 20 ounce sodas, 2 beers and 2 bottles of water.

Location:

This hotel is not in Montego Bay as they represent it in many travel sites. It is actually in Lucea which is 20-30 minutes from Montego Bay and 45 minutes -1 hour from the airport. We were there for 3 full days and spent about 12 hours in the buses between the 3 days going to activites. The most travel time was spent going to the Dunns River Falls which took 3 hours one way with traffic. Not an ideal location. Almost every activity required a minimum of 45 minutes drive one way.

Pool: Pretty and lots of beach chairs for Sun Bathing. The swim up bar was very nice.

Food: Loved the mexican and the buffets. They don't take reservations. Its first come first serve. The best time for dinner is between 5:30-6:30pm if you want to avoid long waits.
The Indian was terrible, and the Jamaican restaurant was decent.

Beach: Very rocky. There's really not much of a beach. Lots of rocks. Need water shoes. Water was nice.

We enjoyed out vacation for the activities that we did. Didn't like the location of the hotel. Would have preferred one in Montego Bay which would have been much closer to shopping and activities. and better beaches.

Reviewed May 28, 2009

I recently stayed at the Grand Palladium with friends. The resort is very big and beautiful. The rooms were also big and clean. The food was okay but it is an all-inclusive resort so you can't expect much. For breakfast and lunch, there were quite a few buffet restaurants to choose from and for dinner there were 6 specialty restaurants. The steak house was very good and the others were decent. The staff is extremely friendly and hardworking. We spent most of our time at the pool which was huge so it never felt crowded. I was very disappointed with the beach at Paradise Cove. It was very small and the sand wasn't very clean. Overall, I was pleased with my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank NY500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!