“Loved it!”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We were hesitant to come here after reading bad reviews but we had no major complaints. The people who were complaining on the trip seemed to be chronic complainers, never satisfied with anything, always trying to find something wrong.

The place is beautiful, huge, clean, constant upkeep being done. There are 2 sides: Jamaica and Lady Hamilton. We were booked on the Jamaican side but got bumped to the Lady Hamilton side since they were overbooked. Kinda annoying since they didn't apologize and we were on the far end overlooking a dirt hill. It doesn't really matter which side you're on since you're not in the room much and can walk (it was a 5min walk to the main areas). They have shuttles but we never took them.

There are a few small beaches- pretty to look at but rocky. No one tried selling stuff while on the beach which was nice. The pools were great. No problem finding chairs. They give beach towel cards. There were loose tiles but don't slide your feet and you'll be ok. There's entertainment at the pool and nightly at 9pm (fun shows). Lots of bars- the beer is Red Rock and kind of weak but they make other drinks too. Lots of food options- no complaints. The staff was always nice. Kinda slow but no big deal. We brought American money and tipped which is appreciated but not expected. They make about $100USD/week which is not much! There's a nice fitness center, spa (pricey), free watersports like paddleboats, volleyball and other activities at the pool, sports bar with big tv's and games.

The room was nice, big, clean. The A/C wasn't that cold and we told them but it wasn't fixed. Our phone broke also. There is a minifridge where you get 2 waters, 2 beers and some soft drinks refilled daily. They don't give extra towels- 1 per guest. Slippers and 1 robe were provided. The annoying thing was the shower- we handheld the shower wand so not to flood the room but the drain was very slow so you were left standing in gross water. Also, there's no privacy area to dress. There's a hottub in the middle of the room then the sink and then small stalls for the bathrrom and shower. They should put up a wall or screen so there's some privacy!

We booked an excursion through our US Air agent at the hotel and they never showed up! We waited over 90mins so that was annoying. We found that other travel companies in the lobby offered cheaper prices so don't always go through your agent. Some said the hotel had better offers.

Tips: Bring xtra sunscreen (sun is strong!) and stuff in case you burn, single bills for tipping (you can get change at the bars sometimes), large cups for drinks, insect repellant (bugs are out at night and there are some long walks to get places), comfy shoes since you'll be walking a lot. People weren't really dressed up so bring casual dresses. The gift shops are pricey so try to bring everything (ex: $10 for 10 tampons, $2 candybar) . If you get there before 3pm, try to pack swim gear in carry-on so you can change easily while waiting for your room.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank sparta802
Write a ReviewReviews (7,147)

Reviewed April 28, 2009

We arrived here and the room was not ready- no worries mon...go have a drink at the bar, we will watch your luggage. So, we did and had something to eat at the buffett. The food was pretty good and the views amazing...stunning. They drove us to our room. Building 18- the farthest away from the food, and nightlife- but again, no worries mon we will pick you up. (And they do). The pool is clean and warm, and very nice. The view is spectacular. The food is pretty tasty (the mexican tonight was superb). The staff are a little relaxed, and the service can be a little slow, but the overall atmostpher is paradise. I love it and my husband loves it. The resort is less then 1 year old. April 28, 2009

8  Thank jwelman
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Had the time of of life!!! My husband and I along with our good friends spent 7 days at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We were there from April 17 to the 24th. The staff were great. Always smiling and ready to please. We were there to relax and have a great time and we did. We were on a vacation so we did not expect everything to happen imediately. So what if you had to wait an hour to get into some of the Alacartes. You put your room number in and go for a drink at the wonderful infinity bar. We tried the Mexican, Steak and Italian Restaurants. The Italian was fabulous. Mexican was good and the Steak was just OK. We found that in all of them that there was so many people waiting to get in that the staff literally rush you to order and to eat so that they can clear the tables for the next group. So that part was not enjoyable. The buffets were awesome. Something for everyone. The jerk chicken at Sunset cove was great.
We had a wonderful time every evening at the Infinity Bar. There was entertainment every night. It is the biggest bar I have ever seen on any resort that we have vacationed at. It is so spacious that you could move around very easily even though at any given time there could have been anywhere from 100 to 500 people. The bar would make any drink you want.
The beaches were plenty and right at the pool side. You literally sit at the pool and you are also on the beach which is so awesome. I am a real beach person. I love spending my day in the ocean and laying on the beach. The beaches here are NOT nice to go into. There was stones sea weeds and coral in all but the Sun set cove. Even at the sunset cove the water was not up to my standards. There was stone and seaweed. So we spent our days laying on the beach and swimming in the beautiful large pool at the swimup bar.
The entertainment in the theatre was not the greatest.
Our room was large clean and lovely. The king size bed was very very comfortable. The bathroom is large and lovely with a stand up shower and a jacuzzie tub.
We went to Dunns falls and catermoran trip. It was awesome, would highly recommend it. We also went to Ricks Cafe, it was OK for the money. I would not pay anymore then the $15 per person on the bus trip.
The people in Jamaica are so relaxed and gentle. We loved Jamaica and it is mainly because of the people. Their adittude is great. Can't wait to go back. (this was our first trip to Jamaica)

6  Thank GloriaEberhardt
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We arrived on April 17/09. What can I say about this trip. What a lovely resort . The staff at this resort we found to be really friendly. We arrived late Friday night and were tired when we got there. Went to have dinner and the buffet was just what we needed.
The view from our room is just the best that I have seen. We have travelled to the carribean the last 4 years and this was just perfect. We could watch the sunset everyday and we in awe everyday.
We woke early every morning to have coffee on our patio and watch all the fisherman go by.
We loved everything about it and would definitely go back again.
The pool did have missing tiles but not as much as I read in these reviews. But the pool is hugh. People were playing the towel game,especially at the adult pool, they would get there really early and never leave so no-one could even sit there.
Security is everywhere on the resort. And no we were never asked if we wanted smoke.
The only thing I think that can be improved and I think it is everyones complaint is how luke warm the food is.
Just go and have a wonderful time because we sure did and would go back tomorrow if I could. But I know that the price of this place will go up when they get all the kinks worked out.

5  Thank jakeandme
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I had read many negative reviews before our trip and I must admit that I was scared that I had made a mistake booking this place, but I was wrong this resort was awesome. My husband and I are in our early 40's and have been to the Bahama's twice, so we are not world travelers, but we are not nieve either. This resort has a great location and I always felt very safe. We had a room in BLD 25 on the main floor. The one bedroom unit was huge and very clean. The bed was firm, but not too hard. We spent so much time snorkeling that we never had any problems sleeping. Bring 1's for tipping because it does help. We tipped our maid $3 daily and she took very good care of us. We also tipped for dinner and drinks. If you bring $75 in ones for a week's stay, that is plenty. I figured that we tip in the US and we should in Jamaica.
We stayed at either the adult beach or sunset cove because the snorkeling was incredible. We called it the aqaurium because we saw so many things right off of the beach because of the coral. We brought our own gear and spent hours in the water. We saw thousands of fish (they actually followed us), baracuda (about a 2 footer), squid, sting ray, octupuss, and many more. The life gaurd told us that sharks or jelly fish were not common sights off of their shores. If you like to snorkel or dive, this is the place to be. I am a Michigan girl and never felt afraid in the water.
The food was also great. We only ate at the buffets for breakfast and once at lunch, but it was good. For breakfast they made you omlettes aand eggs and had anything you could want. We tried all of the resturaunts, and the seafood at sunset cove was the best. The Indian food was also good, we actually liked everything. We never had to wait in line. The lunch on the beach at Sunset Cove was really good.
I think the other travelers that have complained about this resort forget the fact that Jamaica is a poor country, so you can't go abroad expecting things to be what they consider to be "five stars" in America. For Jamaica, this place was five stars! They had problems and glitches with things, but you have to go with the flow. The staff was so nice. Everyone was friendly.
We took a bus trip to the straw markets and shopping in Negril and then to Ricks Cafe. Negril is a scary place! I did not feel safe there. Shopping was good, but not at the straw markets. These women are in financial need of selling their products so badly that they are rude and very demanding and pushy. Tourists are their source of income and our bus driver said that the tourists just aren't spending money like they used to. Rick's Cafe was OK, the cliff divers were cool, but it really wasn't our scene. The younger people were having a good time. I don't consider myself old, but I am way beyond getting that drunk and being loud. The whole trip was was an experience that I am glad we saw.
I plan on making my reservations next year at this resort for two weeks!!!
If you have any questions about this resort and our experiences, e-mail me. jkharmon05@sbcglobal.net

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lovethebeachMichigan
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We got married on April 13th and left for Jamaica the next day. We stayed from the 14th until the 21st. The worst part was the airline, American Airlines are terrible. The first flight from Baltimore to Miami in the morning was cancelled until the afternoon and comming back we were delayed for 2 hrs in Miami after a 4 hr layover.

The Grand Pallaidum was great! The rooms were big, the mini bar stayed stocked and the beds were NOT hard. After reading the other reviews I expected terrible sleep on a hard bed but our bed was fine (very comfortable). The staff were awesome, we didn't encounter any bad service. Everyone (the staff) always smiled and said hi and were more than happy to help if needed. The pools were fine but we spent our time at Sunset Cove. That is the best beach and is the place to take out the paddle boats or kyacks. Another must is the jerk chicken shack at Sunset Cove, awesome!!

My wife and I loved the Grand Pallaidium and would return. If you go there relax and enjoy yourself, don't go around and nit pic the resort looking for problems. Anyone can find problems if they look hard enough, we chose not to and had a nice relaxing vacation. The one thing that I could have done without was the ignorant tourists at the buffet who acted like this was their last meal. They ignored lines and would try to jump in front of you to get what they wanted, typical "me first" mentality. They would also walk three or four abreast down the main walkway and wouldn't move. We would either stop and look at them until they moved or I would run into them which seemed to get their attention. These are the idiots who write the bad reviews, you know who you are.

All in all this was an excellant resort and the employees aim to please.

10  Thank jodimacbeth
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We were at the resort for 7 days and would not recommend visiting. The Lady Hamilton side was supposed to be adult side....why was the playground outside of the lobby? We could not get washcloths or towels in our room. Most days we did not have either hot or cold water. Our ceiling leaked from the third floor room, after reporting no one ever came to check on this leak. Our batteries for the door went dead and I spent and hour and a half of my time waiting for someone to come help and after two phone calls and three employee calls NO ONE SHOWED UP!! After we finally got in room a maintenance person came 4 HOURS later. If you are interested in drinking bring your own soda, they ran out daily of diet and regular soda. When a comment was made to management, after waiting an hour and twenty minutes, Maria rolled her eyes and was not very friendly but instead stated she had just spent the entire time talking to another guest complain. OK CUSTOMER SERVICE?????

1  Thank justbilly63109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!