“We were pleasantly surprised .” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
michigan
“We were pleasantly surprised .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

Like many other people, we also read the reviews. A bit reluctant, we went thinking we would make the best of it. Well, it was so much better than we thought it would be. We had a beautiful room overlooking the ocean. We had trouble with the shower the first day but it was fixed right away. The bed was a bit hard so we folded two blankets in half and put them under the sheets and that worked great. The pillows were nice and alot of them. Now for the food, it was great everywhere we ate!! The service was always very good. The jerk chicken at the Cove was super. Depending on where your roon is it could be a long walk so just ask for a room closer to the main pool which is close to the restaurants. The pool was NOT cold but refreshing after laying in the hot Jamaican sun. Alot of the pool tiles are missing so wear you sandals in. Though they need to repair some things we are very glad that we went and celebrated our 40th wedding anniversery. We would go back in a heartbeat!!

9 Thank jshorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,753)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

after reading several rewiews we were hesitant at first but had a GREAT TIME. the resort was clean, help very pleasing and we just relaxed (which is what we wanted). the beds were hard but we got used to it. the jacuzi tub was great . only complaint that was very dissapointing was the huge amount of smoking and NO SMOKE FREE AREAS.

5 Thank oconeet
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Palladium 3/28-3-31. I must say I was a little worried because some reviews were not so great. My only regret is not staying longer. I had an awesome time. The staff was friendly, food was great and room was beautiful. Just them knowing it was our honeymoon, we were instantly made into VIPs, given an oceanside room and gifts every nite for our honeymoon. I loved the whole swan/ towl in a heartshape surprise on our bed one night. I will definitely go back. Every picture on the website is exactly as it is out there. You won't need to leave the hotel for anything because you'll be in heaven!!

7 Thank candy78_perez
U.P. Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

After reading Trip Advisor for almost two months before our own trip, I was quite anxious to see what we would really encounter. Based on our past trips and knowing our own personalities I knew that we would make the best of any trip. Having said that, we didn't have to "try" to make our trip enjoyable, we had a great time! My husband and I traveled with his sister and her fiancee. This was actually the first time we have traveled out of the US with someone else. Each and everyone of us would tell you the same thing, the Grand Palladium is well worth the trip.

First and foremost, the buildings are all very impressive. We were lucky enough to be in building 12 on the Jamaica side, which is not a far walk at all. Although, I would not have been opposed to walking even a little further. As people have mentioned there are certain areas of the resort that need fixing, but if you really feel as though this is something that would cause your vacation to be rated as poor, I feel very badly for you. The only area that you do have to be careful in is the pool, the tiles can cut you, but they are pretty easy to see.

Just for some background, in our group we have two very picky eaters. We had NO problems what-so-ever with finding food that was liked by all. We actually ate at Bubba's Steakhouse 3 nights. The New York Strip was probably the tastiest steak I have ever had! I LOVE A1 Steaksauce and I refused to put it on that steak. The Italian restaurant was very good as well. Other than those two restaurants we only ate at the buffet. which always had something that was good.

Normally, my husband and I are very low key on vacation. Since we had two other people with us we decided to be more active this time. Almost every day we chose lounge chairs by the activity center so we would know when different competitions and/or activities were going on. If you plan on doing activities it's not a bad idea to bring the schedule of activities with you so you know when things are starting. We had an absolute blast with the entertainment staff. They were very friendly and eventually would come right over to us since they knew we were pretty much up for anything. After reading a previous review I was a little suprised to see that a woman said there was nothing for her 14 and 15 year olds to do. I find this very hard to believe, we played Bocce Ball with 12 years old and watched younger children playing volleyball, trivia, corne hole (bean bags), ping pong, and water aerobics every day. Plus I know that my husband and his sister's fiancee shot archery with young children and the boy they were shooting with had won the mini golf competition earlier in the day. If you are willing to give it a shot, you can find more than enough to do. I almost got too wore out and opted to just read a few times. Mr. Bond, Dr. Dre, Mad Raz, Eye Candy, Happy Feet, Buttercup, along with many others will be sure that you are having a good time. Thanks to all of you for a job well done!

As others have also said, the drinks are good. We had no problems with waiting or poor service. My husband and his sister's fiancee actually prefered the Real Rock beer that the majority of the resort offers over Red Stripe. Red Stripe is pretty potent stuff. We never encountered drunken people. Just people having a few drinks and enjoying themselves.

The beaches are quite a bit different than the ones I have experienced in the past. This is the only area that I wished would have been better. I prefer long beaches and turquoise water. We swam mainly in the pool and hung out were the action was. Yes, the pool is cool when you first get in, but when your body is so warm from the hot Jamaican sun, it is bound to feel cool. Just give it a second and it will feel wonderful. However, if you prefer quiet, I would say to hang out at Sunset Cove, it was very relaxing and provided plenty of shade if you so desired.

The resort also offers a free bus ride to Margaritaville in Montego Bay. I am not sure how often they do this, I'm guessing one or two nights a week. It leaves at 10:30 and returns around 2:00. We had a lot of fun there and it was nice to get out and see something different. Although we didn't go during the day, I think Margaritaville would be a blast during the day, they have two huge ocean trampolines and a huge water slide. If you take the free bus there at night, you can get a wristband when you get there for free admission for the following day, otherwise it is $10 to get in. We also took the $30 per couple shopping/Rick's Cafe trip. Well worth it. I would highly recommend waiting to buy stuff on this trip, the Times Square Mall is one of the stops, shop #10 is the cheapest. I would say to stock up there if you want momentos. My husband bought 3 t-shirts for around $3-4 a piece, they are not the most high quality, but what ones are? I was also able to get Blue Mountain coffee by the pound for $15, as opposed to $33 at the hotel.

Just a few side notes: The casino was actually pretty fun. My husband and I are not big gamblers, but we ended up a little ahead. My sister-in-law won about $75 one night. Take a few bucks and try your luck. Although many people have said the beds are so very hard, every resort I have been to has had hard beds (Riu and Iberostar). We never had any problem sleeping, we were too tired at the end of the day to even notice.

I'm hoping this has enlightened a few people, I know much of what I have said is simply a repeat. If you are going to the Grand Palladium I hope you have as much fun as we did!

18 Thank ron_b18
arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day 5 night stay @ Grand Palladium. It was WONDERFUL!! Here's the thing... IT'S JAMAICA!!! Their way of life is, 'No Problem'. So, if you are looking for everything to be PERFECT maybe you should stay at a more expensive resort. i.e. the tiles in the bathroom are a little crooked, there is a chandeller (or 2) missing in the lobby area (I didn't notice until the LAST day we were there as we were waiting on our transfer to the airport) some of the food is not SPECTACULAR. But I think you get that anywhere. You will not get fresh pork sausage.. you are on an island... there are however several other breakfast meats to choose from. There will be some "odd" things on the buffet, but try to remember they are trying to feed people from all over the world, so they may not have turkey and roast beef for you to make a sandwich, but there are pleanty of other things to choose from.

Here are something you might want to know:
DRINKS:
The cups are really small @ the bars, take your own cup with a lid... if you buy one there it's $16.00. I know I have one ;-)
Each Bartender has their own "Special Drink" orderer one or two or three!
I thought the non-premium beverages were fine... I've certianly had worse state side!

BEACHES:
Most of the beaches are rocky, if you want to go for a walk or run on the beach every morning, this might not be the place for you. My husband and I walked from one end of the resort to the other, beautiful, but not sand the whole way, it is sort of a hike, but still worth the walk.
The good beach is right down from the pool on the Lady Hamilton side. NIce sand, warmer water (seemed to be anyways)

FOOD:
Yes, some of the restraunts share a greeter, but they are seperate restraunts, beautifully decorated to match the theme.
TRY THE SUSHI... IT WAS AMAZING!!! Main course @ Asian Restraunt not great, but good... lots of noodles.
Indian Restraunt good, Ittialian GREAT, Seafood, suprizingly... not so good. Food at Sports Bar, was good. BUT that's just what we thought about what we ordered.... you may love the seafood. (They did want to charge you extra for Lobster ($30.00 per person) we didn't do it.

SERVICE:
A smile and a sweet spirit goes a long way in Jamaica... if you smile and be friendly, the staff will too.

TIPPING:
We did not feel pressured, or obligated to tip, sometimes we did, and sometimes we didn't. We did get change at the front desk a time or two, but other times they didn't have any. But remember, An American dollar goes a long way in Jamaica (when it comes to tipping) when we go back (and we will go back!) we will take plenty of one dollar bills.

REMEMBER:
YOU'RE ON VACATION!!!! RELAX! Everything is NOT going to be perfect, but I'll bet it will beat the heck out of being back home @ your job, and if it's not, then don't go on vacation!

This was the most AMAZING vacation I have ever had... the resort was well planned out. Beautiful views from almost anywhere (remember... we can't all have ocean front rooms...) We never had to wait for check in, check out, to be seated for dinner, and we never felt crowded! 2 thumbs up!

13 Thank libby0000000
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

A lot of people don't know the difference between the Lady Hamilton and the Grand Palladium Jamaica - well, the Grand Palladium Jamaica is on the peaceful side and the Lady Hamilton is where most of the action is. We stayed at Jamaica Resort - we are older couple even though we do a lot of water sports and are in good shape for our age so walking over to Lady Hamilton to Sunset Cove for the water sports (i.e., kayaking, jet skis, hobey-cat, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing) was an easy walk plus good exercise. Also, located at Sunset Cove is where you can get the jerk chicken/pork, plus the Poseidon restaurant/bar is there too. The beach is nice there, with lots of umbrellas for shade if you need it. The main pool is located between the 2 resorts with a swim up bar, lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas. There are several beaches to chose from so just find one you like. Lunch is also served above the swim up bar, buffet style. The morning buffets were great and you could eat outside if you chose. There was plenty of food to chose from so you could find what you like - you will never go hungry! On the Jamaica resort, there is nice pool, no shallow water so watch your step when entering! You can swim up to an area where you can sit and relax in the water and built in lounging chairs are available along with bar, umbrellas. We stayed in building 12 - one bedroom suite so we had 2 balconies - one balcony right on ocean front so we could watch sunset. There was also private beach below (Gulley Beach). As a massage therapist, I always get massage while out of town and I got 2 massages while there. The spa is located on Lady Hamilton and has lap pool, gym, and many smaller pools/jacuzzis to relax in - very peaceful. The massages were great! If you found things wrong with this place, then you are most likely a "complainer" and nothing with satisfy you anyway. We had lots of laughs, met wonderful people, enjoyed the "Hey, mon", "no problem" attitude, wonderful weather, and you could always find what you want - either fun and partying place or relaxation/peaceful places and plenty of activities to do, including tennis courts (grass courts), mini golf . We slept great, never went hungry or thirsty and we thanked God for blessing us for allowing us to see such wonderful and different places/cultures our earth has to offer. We used Cheapcaribbean.com to book our travels and usually pick all inclusive deals (the best way to go). We always tip anyway, like to pass our blessings along to others. We also used their small casino - a few slots and computerized black jack - played $10 here and there just for fun and usually broke even - just cash out when ahead. We recommend this place to stay.

12 Thank Massagekid
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

We stayed in the honeymoon suite, it was wonderful - the layout, the ocean view... however, I read about the hard mattresses and yes, they are truly the hardest mattresses on the planet. It made a difference regarding quality of sleep ... if you are sensitive to that. The hotel will put extra blankets under the sheet if your request. Everything else was really good to great.

The Jamaican way is pretty laid back so expect the service to be in no hurry, but still good enough -- just go in with a "no problem" attitude. If you want exceptional service then go to a five star hotel in NY or Chicago. It you want exceptional food then go to Italy. But, if you want good service, good food, a great view, relaxing atmosphere, kind staff, plenty of drink and eat then GP is for you.

I'd go back there if improved the mattresses. For me, and many others, the bed gave me a poor nights sleep which is disappointing for a destination that is about relaxation and rejuvenation. I'm surprised that management allowed this mistake and has not invested in fixing the problem with either high end pads or new mattresses. If you can sleep anywhere/anytime then this won't be an issue.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Paul S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,780 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!