“Loved it, loved it, loved it mon~!”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed April 4, 2009

CLEANLINESS/ROOMS: Overall the rooms were very clean and the maids were constantaly cleaning the room. They provided you with new shampoo, soap, etc. when you ran out. The rooms were spacious and I really enjoyed the shower and jacuzzi tub. The beds were fine too; and in a Jr. Suite the have 2 queens and a pull-out couch so many people can fit. The sheets were noisy when someone turned over at night, but it wasn't a huge bother to our stay.

SERVICE: Serivce was pretty okay but you have to remember you're on JAMAICAN TIME. They don't do things right away but it wasn't a problem what-so-ever. They could of had more pool service; but they have a nice bar and a swim up bar which was convienient.
The best waitors was the one at the Blue Lagoon was Chantay; so ask for her. Also Telisha was really good; and she worked at the Blue Lagoon also. The 2 bartenders to go to are the ones between the Creole and the Asian restuarants; they were the 'party' and very friendly and fun!

FOOD: The all-inclusive really made my stay pleasant. The unlimited drinks were good. You have to try the Dirty Banana and the Chocolate Monkey. They were amazing. They had a good selection of restuarants ranging from Mexican, Indian, Italian, etc. But remember there's always the buffett! I really liked the selection of breakfast; you have to try the pastries and omlets there. The food was very good considering you could eat whenever you liked.

LOCATION: I always forgot we were on a SEA and not the OCEAN'; but it was still nice because it was on the water. It was about an hour drive from the airport but it was well worth it. The location was amazing!

SECURITY: They were always on the clock and were hidden easily. They were always ready for whatever may happen.

POOL: Half of the tiles on the bottom foor and other places were missing. Kids and adults were constantly pulling up huge sections of tiles. And a few have actually cut they're foot on them: but hopefully they'll be fixed by summer. The pools were spacious. They had a huge infinity pool and another one next to it. They had one kid pool in the Kids Club and 2 adult pools on each of the sides of the resort. They were very nice and not too crowded. Also we never had a problem finding pool/beach chairs. They were always availble and you could sit pretty much anywhere. You could only get how many towels as were the number of people in your party. They have towel cards you exchange for towels and you can get clean ones whenever you like as long as you return the old ones, which was nice.

ACTIVITIES: The activies at the pool area were fun. They always had something to do. They had bocce ball, mini-golf, beer drinking contests, volleyball and pingpong tournaments, beach volleyball, trivia, bingo, etc. The best was water aerobics; which were very intense with all-around staff memeber 007 leading the way. You can win rum for winning bingo and other activities, and you collect your prize around 9:00 at the theatre.

THEATRE: I loved the theatre at the Lady Hamilton part of the hotel. It was very entertaining. The dancers were really good and entergetic. On Fridays they have the Silver Bird Steel Band which was really good also. The best activities memebers were Energizer, Happy Feet, and Lady Diva. You should really get to know them, they are enjoyable to have around. The 2 hosts were Mr. Go and Dr. Dre which were also hilarious and ran the theatre every night, along with the towel hut, trivia and other day-time activities.

It was hard to say goodbye to this hotel; because all of the staff became like our second family for the week we stayed. I will definitely will go back to the Grand Palladium, Jamaica hopefully in the next year or so. This was the best vacation I've ever been on in my life and I recommend it to everyone looking for a nice vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank SmileMon09
There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 3, 2009

We just got back from a 4 nights and 5 day stay and we had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Lady Hamilton which I would recommend. It was closer to most things than the Grand Pallidium. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews, but I can't believe their complaints. My husband and I travel extensively and this place was wonderful. We NEVER encountered a rude staff member. There was always someone around to direct you if you needed directions. The food was good. The breakfast buffet was great and we never encountered a long line. There were two different places you could go for breakfast and they were never crowded. DInners were good. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant and the wait staff was wonderful. My only real complaint was the hard bed. I don't mind hard beds but this one was hard. I would definitely go back again. Don't listen to the bad reviews. Some people would find anything to complain about.

2  Thank ruscas
Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful trip to Jamaica. The Grand Palladium is wonderful. The hotel is very big. Rooms were great. Great service, people and ammenities. We had an all inclusive---includes mini bar. There are at least six restaurants within the hotel to pick from. We had a personal tour guide. He was a taxi driver sitting outside the gate. He gave us a wonderful rate. Much better rate than what the hotel has on their list. If you want to go out and check the towns out, go outside the gate and negotiate with them. Don't be afraid. Believe me, one of them will take you. Jamaicans are friendly people, very nice. Don't get me wrong they have their evil people but don't be afraid of the adventure. I found that having American money was more efficient. Have fun!!!! We did.

3  Thank justinesom
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I guess they took the earlier reviews to heart. We had nothing but good experiences with the staff at this resort. Jamaicans are very proud, well educated people. If you treat them like "native servants" then you will not get a friendly response. One thing to remember also is that they have the English sarcasm. They are often joking when they seem stern.
The resort was beautiful. Yes, they did not use master craftsmen for the tile work. But they were working on that.
The main pool is amazing. My favorite part besides the swim up bar were the built in lounges in the pool. It is a huge resort so you never felt crowded. We only waited one night for dinner.
The beaches are man made and very rocky. I find them more beautiful. And it was nice that there were about 5 different ones.
The only complaint was that the microphone for the activities part is too loud. We were on the cabana side trying to get some quiet and it was annoying to hear the silly events. Reggae would have been much nicer to listen to.
The restaurants were really good for an all-inclusive. We loved the Italian one. The creole was good, the steak was not bad, the mexican was OK. The buffets were all well stocked too.
We went on a boat excursion. It was supposed to be a catamaran and I guess technically it was but it was the scuba diving boat with a glass bottom. Wood covered the glass bottom and someone had fallen through. The water was really rough and we all thought we were going to drown. But the crew were great, the Captain was good at seeing turtles and dolphins. We wound up having a ball at Booby Cay island where they cook lobster and fish they had just caught. ($15-$20)
We also saw some caves and snorkeled at a sunken ship reef. The trip ended at Ricks in Negril. We partied while we watched the divers and then the amazing sunset.
We met some great people that both worked at the resort and fellow travellers. Apparently we made a hit with the crew because everyone had heard about our group.
My only complaints besides the loud events were that none of the hot tubs worked in the spa area. It would have been nice to have some hammocks too.
Also, it really is more in Lucea than Montego Bay. It is actually between Monetgo and Negril. Not much nightlife but a beautiful escape.
Than you Grand Palladium for a nice vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank GinaS13
Reviewed April 2, 2009

First time at a Palladium resort. Let me introduce ourselves – 7 of us travelling, my family (from New Brunswick Canada) consisted of myself, my husband, and our 18 year old daughter. My cousins (from Ontario Canada) joined us for this trip along with their 2 children ages 9 and 4. When booking our trip, both families paid for oceanview jr suites on the Jamaican side of the resort. We had requested to be in the same bldg if possible; however, we were in villa 13 and they were in villa 14, both of us had ground floor rooms. It worked out so great being able to just walk out our patio and over to their patio that we didn’t bother to see if one of us could be changed the next day. Also, we’ve been taking trips to different islands since before our daughter was born and my cousins are travellers as well.

For those travelling with Sunwing, the airport transfers are included in your cost and were great. Only the people on your aircraft and heading to GP are on your bus so there was basically no wait. Immigration and customs a breeze, 10 minutes after we were on our bus, we were on our way. Unfortunately we arrived at 8:00 pm so couldn’t see too much at night along the route.

Check in was smooth and efficient. Trolley took us directly to our rooms, we gave ourselves a half hour to unpack, freshen up, and meet outside our villas to head to the sports bar for some food and a drink.

Lobby/Reception area/Bellhops/All Staff Encountered – first impression was WOW ! Huge, airy, beautiful, and clean. Lots of chairs. Reception staff lovely, guest services staff friendly, great service at all times from any of the bellhops for trolley service. The rest of the staff (housekeepers, ground workers, bartenders, wait staff, etc.) were great. Sure there was the odd one who wasn’t smiling and didn’t seem to have time but we all have days like that.

Jr. Suites – largest room I’ve had in the Caribbean. Ground floor room and not one bug was seen, not even an ant. Saying that, when we opened our glass door, we always had the screen door shut. We’d open it to go out but always close it again. Another habit we have when we’re south is to eat any snacks anyone may have on our patio or deck instead of in our room. Having no crumbs, drink spills, etc in the room seems to deter any bugs. The oceanview room was incredible – sitting on the patio and listening to the waves crashing (Gully Beach was just outside our patio). Beds were fine, yes they were hard but we have firm mattresses at home so perhaps we’re use to that; however, we were tired at the end of each day so we’d sleep fine anywhere. Housekeeper kept our room spotless, lovely towel art each day and she was pleasant to chat with. I truly believe taking the time to smile, say hi, and take an interest in people make all the difference in a vacation. Bathrooms were huge ... yes the shower door had a space between it and the closure so water definitely would spray out to the exterior IF you had the shower head nozzle pointed to the door. A simple adjustment pointing it to the side worked fine or take the handheld nozzle off the holder and use it that way. Water pressure and temperature of water not a problem, always had hot water. Didn’t use the Jacuzzi but cousins did and loved it. We always had 3 bath towels and 3 hand towels left each day but sometimes only 2 face cloths. I do know that almost anywhere in the Caribbean face cloths are hard to come buy so before each trip, I pop in to the Dollar Store and pick up a few for our use. Did turn the TV on to see that it worked (and it did) but never used it. Air conditioning worked great – in fact, it was too cold. We had to turn the fan down to the low setting and up the temp a bit. Instead of inserting a key for the air conditioning slot by the door, the bellhop guy put the ‘do not disturb/please make up room’ key in there and it worked fine. All 3 of our door cards worked great right from the start.

Pools – mornings spent at the Relax pool and part of afternoon at the Infinity pool. Relax pool – Simone was a darling and we loved the music she played. In fact, she had the best reggae music on the resort. Restaurants, lobby, other pools had good ole American music which I can listen to at home. If I had to search hard for some sort of complaint, it would be too much American type music and not enough local. Yes the pool was cool but after laying in the sun for awhile, your body temp is so high most pools (even at home) would be cool. Loved the sun beds in all the pools. Now for the ants – the only time I saw them was on the ground around either pool so we all just sat our beach bags/cover-ups on one chair. I think tipped/spilt drinks were the attraction for the ants. I did notice alot of people leaving their empty/half filled cups on the ground. When I asked Simone where the garbage was, she said the big clay flower pots on the perimeter of the pool were for garbage. I suspect not many knew that. Infinity pool – definitely the largest pool I’ve ever seen. Lots of people by the pool bar but other than that, you could always find some corner by yourself. In fact, I felt like 10-15 minutes of quiet time just for me, so I relaxed on one of the pool sunbeds facing inward. It was sooooo nice!!! Piece and quiet!! When I went back to the troops about 20 minutes later, sure enough, they said they’d been looking in the pool for me and couldn’t find me. Haha ... the great escape!! Yes, there are a few tiles missing and there was a yellow caution tape around one of the rails on the stairs going into the infinity pool. It looked like the cement just wasn’t holding the rail in place so glad they had the yellow tape for people to be aware. Lots of other entries into this huge pool so this didn’t pose a problem and we could definitely see where tiles were missing so as to avoid it. Haven’t been to any resort that didn’t need a bit of ‘fixing’ here and there ... just like home!! Always something to do. For us, it didn’t distract from the ‘wow’ factor of this immense pool.

Spa – can’t comment on that as 7 days just not enough time to explore everything and we only saw the spa from a distance.

Food – pretty much anything you’d want. The only time we had food at the sports bar was that first night we arrived late and the food was great – between the 7 of us, we had burgers, fries, nachos (which are self-serve with the hot (as in warm, not spicy) cheese sauce in a pump type dispenser), pizza (self serve in a warm rotating machine), and quesadillas. During the whole week there, we never had a problem getting a table for the 7 of us. The wait staff were more than happy to put 2 tables together and quickly set us up. Breakfast was always at one of the buffets and what a choice! Two fresh egg stations where you could get made to order omelets, fried eggs, etc. I can’t begin to list everything but suffice to say, a grand selection. Even a smoothie station. Do try the bammy bread (which is usually by one of the egg stations and not with the breads) as well as the plaintain ... so very good! Lunch again was at a buffet and again, tons and tons of food. We were never that hungry at lunch so usually just got a slice of bread and some cold cuts and cheese but they did have a roast, potatoes, burgers, etc. I often wondered what the locals must think of all that food and some of the waste (by waste I don’t mean trying new foods and perhaps not liking it but heaping plates with burgers, fries, pizza, desserts, etc. and eating only half) Supper - because of my cousins’ children, we ate supper at the buffets so they could be fed fast and not wait. I must say the Jamaican night at the buffet was by far our most memorable and tasty meal (don’t get me wrong, we never had a bad meal but oh my, this was sooo good!). They had both beef and chicken patties, curried goat (tasted like tender stew meat in gravy), jerk chicken and ackee, pumpkin soup, callaloo (not sure what they cook it in but tasty and looked a bit like our fresh spinach), sweet potato, tons more and, of course, lots of American type food as well. I do have to add here that by the time you walked around filling your plate and finally settled down at your table to eat, the food was lukewarm. Still good but not piping hot. Not sure if restaurant needs warmers under the food or if we just needed to be faster in our selections and not doddle looking at everything. We did have supper once at Bubba’s and it was an excellent meal. We were there at 5:45 and no wait. We found the wait staff in all the restaurants eager to please, helpful, and seemed to really like it when you took the time to chat with them. I’m a huge water drinker and at every restaurant I was at, my water glass was always kept full – the wait staff everywhere were extremely attentive for whatever we wanted, water, pop, coffee, wine, or lattes. My cousin loves a latte in the morning and within minutes they had one in front of him. Take note of the bar in the buffet restaurants at breakfast – you can get mimosas, lattes, etc. if you just ask.

Drinks – where do I start?? Non-alcoholic – water always available as was pop. The bartenders would make the kids feel special by creating ‘fancy’ drinks for them without the booze. Their favourite was the pina colada and strawberry slushie mix. Alcoholic – we all found the Real Rock beer a nice refreshing light taste. If you do want Red Stripe, head to Miss Lou’s (a separate room in the Infinity Bar) and get it there. We saw people taking drinks out of Miss Lou’s so you don’t have to drink it there. Not sure what type of wine was served but it was excellent. Rum and coke with a bit of lime sure hit the spot ... although the odd time, just a bit too much rum!! Hmmm, what a funny complaint!!? We tried various ‘fancy’ drinks over the week and the consensus was pretty much the same – loved the Dirty Monkey (but I just can’t seem to get it to turn out right here at home) and the Miami Vice. Hummingbird was another favourite and we did do a Bob Marley shot just before we left. We tended to hang around the Infinity Bar in the evening and loved it that the drinks were served in nice glasses. Since we all get up early, we couldn’t seem to last late enough to try the disco. We’d usually head back to our rooms by 11ish.

Beaches – OK, I’m spoiled and like a long sandy beach – doesn’t matter what color the sand but I love walking a beach and going in and out of the water. This was the only thing the Grand Palladium could not provide but I did know that before heading there. Yes, I did miss a long beach walk but no, it certainly did not hamper my vacation. Instead we got to sample 3 very different beaches. Gully Beach (just in front of our villa) was very rugged, picturesque, no sand just small rocks, pebbles, and shells, and watching the waves crashing against the cliff was incredible. There were a few loungers on that beach as well but we never saw anyone there. We did take a drink and sit there for an hour one afternoon, very quiet, great place to read. Las Brisas beach – right in front of the Infinity Pool, the ‘sand’ or crushed coral wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be but it was very hard ... no wiggling your toes in the sand!! We did bring beach shoes and wore them on that beach the first 2 times; after that, we didn’t. Sunset Beach was the busiest with all the watersports. It also had the nicest sand and we didn’t need water shoes there. A huge thumbs up for the Palladium was the beach and pool loungers – tons and tons of them so never saw anyone searching and searching for one to lay on like some resorts.

Entertainment and Entertainment Team – kid’s cove first – my cousin used this facility a couple of times for her 9 year old daughter. She coordinated times with the leader as there wasn’t many children participating. The daughter had a blast, made seashell frames, woven bracelets, etc. The gals and guys on the entertainment team friendly but not pushy, always had something going on. In the evening probably about 8ish, the team provided entertainment in the theatre (so-so but they try hard). Then about 9:30/10:00 each night, there was a live band in the Infinity Bar ... excellent! We totally enjoyed finishing our day there. Everyone said not to miss the steel drum band on Friday evening – we ‘assumed’ it would be at the Infinity Bar but after watching a ‘normal’ band start to set up, we asked and the steel band was at the Theatre in the Lady Hamilton side. They were definitely great!

Tours/Excursions – I would most definitely recommend Reggae Tours, operated by Gregg Connell . Website is www.reggae-tours.com Exceptional service !! Before we left on vacation, Gregg was so very helpful via emails while we asked questions and determined where and what we wanted to do. Kirk was our driver/guide, so helpful, patient, and he quickly became one of our family. From what I read, Gregg and all of his drivers are amazing people. Our first excursion was to Lucea, Margaritaville, the craft market and Rick’s Cafe. Great day and we all loved Margaritaville – lots of entertainment there and my kind of beach!!!! Second excursion was to the south coast as my husband has a nephew living in Calabash Bay. We stopped at YS Falls for a few hours (incredibly beautiful), had roadside coconuts, drove through Bamboo Avenue, and ended up at Jack Sprat’s for dinner with the nephew. Beautiful scenery along the route – an amazing day. Third outing was to a beach in Montego Bay so my daughter and I could have our long beach walk. The beach was almost deserted and I can’t begin to tell you how relaxing and peaceful it was to have a few quality hours of mother/daughter time. There are lots of tours available from the hotel, a station to hire a JUTA taxi, plus lots of cabs on the street just outside the main gate of the hotel, but I sincerely believe Reggae Tours can match anything and you know you’re in safe hands. Contact Gregg for info!

Helpful hints – when checking in, ask for as many key cards as there are adults in the room (in our case, we were given 2 but politely requested another for our daughter and were quickly given another one). Also, at check-in, make sure you get towel cards for as many people in the room. You can exchange your towels at any pool. Bring cheap face cloths from home and just leave them there when you return. Bring enough suntan lotion and after sun. If you run out or if you have some left and don’t want to bring it home, the Sunwing representative in the Jamaica lobby has a shelving unit by her desk and started a suntan lotion swap plus book swap – if you run out and need some, feel free to take some; if you don’t want to take half a bottle home, leave it on her shelf for someone else. Great idea! I always bring a small bottle of insect repellent but never had to use it. No clock in the room so if you like to see the time in the night, bring your own battery operated one. Tourist cards/customs and immigration forms are passed out during your flight. The tourist cards must be completed for each passenger, including children. Parents can sign on behalf of younger ones. The customs form can be completed as a family thereby only requiring one form. Do completely fill them out before landing. My cousins didn’t know they had to complete the back side of one of them so that held them up a few extra minutes going through immigration. When they return the bottom portion of the tourist card, make sure you keep it for your return flight as you are required to turn it in when leaving. Before we left home, I wrote our 3 passport numbers, date of issue, date of expiry, and dates and flight numbers on a slip of paper and kept it in my purse. This saves a scramble for the passports, etc. when we had to complete these forms on the plane. Definitely buy your alcohol to take home at the airport – I thought I got a great deal on a bottle of rum cream for $16 US but at the airport it was $10. All prices at airport were much cheaper. Sunsets from the infinity bar awesome. There is an elevator in the Jamaica lobby (and I imagine one in the Lady Hamilton lobby as well) that takes you from the lobby to the ground level (just in case anyone is tired of climbing stairs); however, there are no elevators in the individual villas. Throw a bottle opener in your suitcase if you want to drink the beer in your mini fridge – some rooms have openers, others don’t and you’d have to ask for one. Go with a smile and a positive attitude, don’t let small things upset you, and be thankful we’re free to travel and experience other cultures. Have a marvellous time ... we did !

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
17  Thank HappyMaritimer
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I read some lukewarm reviews on the Grand Palladium before we took our trip, and I have to say, they couldn't have been more wrong. The place is sprawling and gorgeous, sitting on an amazing outcropping RIGHT on the Jamaica coast. Its look and feel is elegantly suited to the view and location - overall a much more a sweeping, romantic atmosphere than a touristy, party vibe (the one exception being by the volleyball courts, a concentrated area of Margaritaville-esque noise that can be easily avoided) Their main building and lounge area is a very grand looking affair that blends indoor and outdoor with pool and beach in a way that will have you constantly snapping pictures and reconsidering your plans to explore outside the resort. The grounds are scrupulously maintained, and the staff is unfailingly helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious, clean, and romantic. We had a secluded balcony overlooking a gorgeous area of secluded rocky coast and nothing but the Caribbean Ocean on the horizon, and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom without having made any special requests or upgrades. The food was not bad at all to very good, with the standout being, surprisingly, the Indian restaurant. The drinks were strong and in never ending supply. If you find reviews taht make you think twice, I worked in hospitality for years before my current position in advertising, and I live in a city (NewYork) that offers limitless opportunities to see and experience luxury. Our stay at the Grand Palladium totally exceeded my expectations, and we'd absolutely go again.

9  Thank clarkus13
Reviewed April 2, 2009

This resort is INSANE!! It was so beutiful and was everthing that we expected and more... We started out a little rough but all was well. We arrived around 4 in the afternoon to alot of people checking in. We were a group of 10. Check in went very smoothly, with drinks offered as soon as we stepped off the bus!! When Peter our bellman took us to our room we noticed a strong foul smell. Peter immediatley contactged Marvin at the front desk and they started working on getting us a better smelling suite.. Once that was resolved (which by the way was very fast) we were on our way. Our room was beutiful overlooking the main pool as well as the ocean. The food at every resturant was wonderful. I have to say my favorite was the Mexican try the Fajita's and ask for Gregory. He took care of all our needs at any resturant we went to. We ate at the Steakhouse (good new york strip), the Creole Resturant (good blackened chicken) the Italian Resturant ( I payed extra for the Lobster but it was sooo worth it), The Seafood restruant the grilled shrimp was amazing also, try the Grilled Marlin!!! Tips are appriciated and will definatly make your stay better. We took $100 in 1 and $100 in 5.. They tell you right off that the tips are included but if you feel you had exceptional service to tip. We tipped alot.. Everyone was so friendly. All in all the trip was amazing great food, great drinks, beutiful resort.. Not quite sure what the people we complainging about in the other reviews.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
10  Thank twrinkle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!