“Go and Enjoy, Better than a cruise”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Pittsburgh
“Go and Enjoy, Better than a cruise”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 adult sons(20 and 24) just returned and we all loved it there. Make sure you take your thermal mugs (I bought 8 at the dollar store before leaving) and enjoy all the crazy drinks they make. We tried Banana Coladas, Dirty Monkees, Hummingbirds, Miami Vices, Mudslides, Strawberry Daquiris etc. Make sure you try the Rum Cream on ice also. We got hooked on them, have the bartender drop a shot of rum in them, they will make whatever you want.
We stayed on the beach near the activity center in the mornings where the surf crashed off the big rocks. Plenty of lounges and near the bar,bathroom, music, and fun they have there. In the afternoon we headed over to Sunset Cove Beach for the peddleboats, kayaks, snorkeling and swimming. Make sure you try the Whole Crispy Fish served at the Poseidon Restaurant there. They also serve Paella and Jerk Chicken in a shack right on the beach.
Every night we tried a diferent ala carte rest. We liked them all, but enjoyed Lotus(Asian) the most, followed by Poseidon and Jamaican. Charlies Steakhouse just OK. One night there was an hour wait for the Italian so we walked down to Poseidon and right in to a great meal. The waiter there said they were revamping the menu and trying to get more people down there. It is a bit away from the rest. Worth the walk. Our longest wait for dinner was about 30 min. but they give you a pager and there are bars right there. We enjoyed taking our drinks out to one of the many open air sitting areas.
After dinner every night, we went to the Infinity Bar. All the bands were good, but don't miss the Steel Drum Band. For us it was Wednesday night. At one point they played Eye Of The Tiger for over an hour and had dancers from from the activty center and show all taking a turn. It was fantastic. It was 420 friendly there also and we partook with our drinks.
We din't spend much time in the room, but it was better than expected from the reviews, as was the whole place. We tipped our maid and mini bar guy a couple bucks each day and always had everything we needed. We also tipped our waiters and various bartenders because we wanted to.
Reggae Tours has a Grand Palladium Special. Took all 4 of us roundtrip to and from airport for $100. in a private van. We were 8 hours late getting there due to various airline problems such as broken planes and no planes, but it was no prob. Also called to leave an hour early to shop at airport(50 shops), also no prob. Try a Jamaican beef patty at airport deli, I would have brought a case of frozen ones home but didn't have a non-stop flight.

• Stayed March 2009
13 Thank favritsister2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rockville Centre New York
Reviewed March 17, 2009

This was about my third time to this resort i loved it at first. I travel to vist my husband who lives not to far from there about every six weeks. while in jamaica this was a really nice spot to relax for the day. It has alot to do and its really nice. On febuary 20,2009 i was enjoying the relaxing spa pool when the bottom of my foot was sliced about 3 inces. at first i just thought i scaped it on the tile i did nt relize how serous it was until i got out of the pool and my foot look like a chunck of meat was missing the foot was gushing blood and it would stop. the staff were not trained to handle it they didnt know what to do its seemed like the guest were the ones assiting me. finally after bleeding for about a half hour the bell guy came to escort me to the nurse. i had to walk to the car though no one ever got a wheel chair they were to busy trying to cover up the blood they were too busy claening it up i wasnt there main concern. i dont like the way they handle injured guest at there resort. based on many reviews when peopple get injured they dont care much somebody needs to sue i live in the US so i dont know there personal injury laws but they need to pay

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
MA
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Beautiful location, but seems to be poor/cheap construction... It just opened so right now it was pretty good but i cant imagine 5 years from now it might be in shambles if they dont start keeping up with mait better now!! The food and bars were great and majority of the staff was nice and accomodationg. They want tips for everything which is kind of annoying when its all inclusive.. Overall, had a good trip at the hotel.. although our bus never picked us up to go to the airport which was stressful thinking we would miss a flight.. I will not return to Jamaica, but it is beautiful.

2 Thank katie61684
Rochester
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Great place to get away from it all. Rooms are very clean. Beaches are beautiful. The Sea is actually warmer than the pools. Food is good and plentiful but not exceptional. Drinks are the best I have had in any all inclusive, They DO NOT SKIMP ON THE ALCOHOL. The staff is very friendly and professional. Recommend taking a side Trip to Ricks Cafe and shopping. We stayed in a suite that was bigger than two Jamaican homes. Temps were in the high 70's all week. We did not have any problems with the AC, towels were plentiful. Shops were extremely expensive at the resort and are most likely independently run. Entertainment is poorly produced but will get better in time.

7 Thank HappyCoupleRochester
Missouri
Reviewed March 16, 2009

we spend our hard earned money to take these trips and the company needs to hear from unhappy customers as mabe it will help to improve this place. And improvement it needs; crowds, lines for cold food, bartenders and staff with there hands out, days are spend walking and fighting the masses at this huge place not relaxing!

3 Thank galiagirl
Durham, NC
Reviewed March 15, 2009

So a group of 8 of us just returned last week from Grand Palladium Jamaica. I will say up front that my husband did extensive research and read reviews both on this site and trip advisor prior to our arrival so we knew about a lot of the so called problems and what to expect. The following is my take on the resort and our trip.

Grounds:

Yes they are working on things and have various projects going but the construction never seemed to bother or inconvenience us so I never thought much of it. Overall I thought the place was beautiful. Clean and well kept. Staff is out early every morning cleaning up the pool and beach areas.

Housekeeping:

We tipped our housekeeper every day 5 dollars US. Other than the first day when there were some laundry issues we always had towels. Our room was clean and she even left some cute towel art on our bed several times. As far as drinks in the fridge we left 2 dollars and a note with what we wanted re-stocked and other than 1 day where they did not restock at all we always got what we wanted.

Food:

I am a fairly picky eater but never seemed to have a problem finding something to eat. I do suggest hitting buffet early vs later since the food is fresher. Yes the food will not be as spicy as some may like it but use the hot sauce or add the sauces they provide and trust me you can get it to be spicy. The service at the buffets is very hit and miss. Sometimes it was great but other times we were lucky to get a water let alone an actual drink. As far as the restaurants we went to 3 of them. The Jamaica/Creole was good although service is very slow. Be prepared for about a 2-3 hour meal. The asian restaurant was good, faster service. Bubbas was also good my husband and I both got the ribeye and it was tasty. The french onion soup is not good nor is the spinach artichoke dip so I would not advise eating them. Just remember you are NOT in America. These are not the same style of restaurants or food that we are used to here in the states. I think as long as you keep that in mind you will be happy. As I said I am a fairly picky eater but I left full from every meal.

Bars:

We spent most of our time at the infinity bar and the bar in the pool. The bartenders in the pool bar Leroy and Jovian are awesome. They made our trip a lot of fun, Leroy is quite entertaining and even brought us some fresh cocunut and "real" jerk chicken for a fee. It was awesome. The only downfall was the tap system for the beer broke 2 days before we left and they never did get it fixed. Whoever the "boss man" they refer to is VERY slow in resolving problems. Some bars the service was better than others. The drinks however were always strong and plentiful. I do suggest getting a Bubba Mug or some other type of mug to bring. It will keep your drinks cool plus you don't have to refill as often.

Rooms:

Yes the beds and pillows were hard but I did not find that it impaired my sleep at all. The room was spacious and comfotable. The only complaint I have is the utter lack of air conditioning. We kept our key card in at all times and had the thermostat set at 50-60 but the air blowing out was not cold. We had maintenance come but to no avail. Now my husband had read this was a problem ahead of time so we actually brought a bedside fan along with us. This kept the temperature in our room about 72-76 on average (I have a temp reading on my portable noise machine). The room however was very humid and if you wanted something to dry you had to hang it out on the balcony.

Pools/Beaches:

We spent most of our time at the pool. Most of the beaches are too rocky other than sunset beach and since we werer on the Jamaica side that was a long walk. There are also sea urchins in the water, one of friends actually got stung. I highly suggest wearing water shoes in the water. The tiles in the pool are coming loose in large numbers. The adult pool is to the point it is going to have to be shut down at some point soon as there are so many tiles loose. Even the large pool is missing a lot. A shame at such a pretty place that they had shotty construction. We however did not let loose tiles interfere with our fun and enjoyment.

Sewer smell:

Yes at times there is the smell of sewage. I noticed it most over by Villa 25 on the Jamaica side. It was never so bad though that I was affected by it.

Trips:

We went one day to Negril. We actually planned the trip ourselves rather than going on a tour. We paid 20 per person. Our driver via tropical tours name was Clifford and he was awesome. Very informative on our ride to Negril and entertaining. We were dropped off at Margaritaville where we did not stay long and proceeded to walk down the beach. We ended up at the Palms Resort 2 for 5 dollar Red Stripe and met Michael, Courtney, and Marie. We ended up hanging out all day we were having so much fun. We then got picked back up and went to 3 dives for dinner. It was featured in an episode of CBS's the Amazing Race. They have great jerk chicken and lobster dinners well worth the price. Overall it really was not expensive for how much food you got.

Conclusion:

I think the Grand Palladium has the potential to be a great resort but they need to fix the pools and work some more on the beaches. The lack of air conditioning has got to be addressed. I could not imagine staying here in the hotter months. There needs to be some sort of accountability for problems a theme I see repeated in many reviews. There does not seem to be a strong management presence and sometimes the "no problem mon" mantra can get a little old. I am not one to go back to places so I do not think I will be returning any time soon but for those of you already booked to go I can only suggest to keep an open mind, and make the best of the fact that you are not at work and on vacation. I do hope they can fix some of these problems though because overall I think the place is very pretty and could be a fabulous resort.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank hpnurse
Moyock, North Carolina
Reviewed March 15, 2009

I just returned from my three night stay at the Grand Palladium. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and it was beautiful. It completely exceeded our expectations. We had two balconies. The only downfall about the room was (1) it was on the third floor and no elevator and (2) there is a defect in the shower door and the bathroom floor floods with about an inch of water everytime you shower....I'm sure they will have issues in another couple of years with that!

The hotel itself is brand new, just opened this past summer. It is huge and by the end of our stay we were using the trolley more and more to get back to our room. The pools are beautiful, clean, cool, and not over crowded. The swim-up bar is fun! All the staff was incredibly energetic, fun, and welcoming. I rate the food overall as a "B". There are numerous restaurants including an Asian place, Mexican, Jamaican, Steakhouse, Italian, and a couple of buffets and a snack place with extended hours. I had the best steak of my life at the Steakhouse "Bubba"...I will dream about that steak forever! The buffets are not so good. All the food is luke warm. There is a huge variety of food however, you will not starve...in fact you'll come home much plumper! The cook to order stuff like the pasta and omlette station at the buffets are good (that's all I reccommend getting) and I fell in love with the espesso bars! They don't have your traditional Mochas, but they have chocolate liquor that they will happily add to your latte and in the morning there is chocolate syrup by the pancakes you can add yourself if you want!

There is no shortage of liquor in that place! I was expecting some crappy house rum/vodka/gin etc...but they had everything you could imagine and all included! Most people weren't tipping for the drinks. We tipped at dinner/lunch and the bell man when he got our bags.

The hot tub isn't hot....the girl said it keeps breaking and doesn't keep the water anything buy warm. The steam room is awesome and super hot! The beaches are dissappointing. They have been man made and it is definately apparent. I wanted to snorkel...but there isn't a good spot near the hotel. Taxis are way to expensive to take just to snorkel!

Overall we had a great experience at the hotel. Be forwarned it is in the middle of nowhere so if you want to leave it is expensive to go anywhere.

7 Thank Loretta S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,923 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!