“Wonderful time!”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We had a great time, the place is amazing! Just some FYI's: When we got there and checked in we wanted an ocean view room but when we asked we got the cold shoulder and went onto the next couple, the people at the front desk are roued even when we checked out.The wait staff were great, restaurants do not take reservations so some nights it was 1/2 to an hour wait if you went at around 8:00. In the steak house we had a singing waiter! The presentation of the meals we awsome. You have to try the talapia at the Sunset cove for lunch! Drinks were great, try the mohito at Bubba's Steak House!!!!! At the pool bars thay give you small plastic cups and alot of people brought insalated mugs from home so we went to the gift shop to buy them and hay were 20.00 each! so bring your own. The pools were all tiled but there was quite a few loose consedering the hotel is new someone was cut and needed stiches. The other thing about the pool is the juccuzie did not work, the main pool had 4 and I never saw them work. I asked about it and was told thay were working on it . Make sure you go to the water sports beach its very fun for lunch you can have jerk chicken right on the beach. The Vegas bar was never opened the week we were there. Watch your step on the walks that are done with pavers, thay are uneven and we saw alot of people falling. This place is in the middle of no were so you need to take cabs and its not cheep.

4  Thank themomMichigan
Write a ReviewReviews (7,239)

Reviewed February 17, 2009

I have to say that I was nervous about staying after reading all of the reviews..... Once we were there, all my worries went away. The resort is beautiful, very large with lots of places to go. We stayed here from Feb. 9 - 16, it was beautiful everyday!

I have traveled to a lot of places over the years and have stayed in many different hotels. While we were there, we met some people and one happened to be a travel agent. She had been all over the caribbean and thought this was a very nice place to stay. There are things that need to be worked out, but all in all it is great.

Getting there: We did not have transportation arranged prior to arriving, but once we were there it was a breeze. We ended up riding along with the apple vacations group that was going to the hotel. It was $20 pp, not a bad deal and we went directly to the resort.

Check in: Check in went very smooth, it took maybe 5 minutes. We were originally given a room at the very end of the resort, I asked to be moved and they did what they could to move us closer to the pool. We were told we had to wait an hour and a half before the room would be ready. The room was ready when they said it would be. The only issue that we had was that they key did not work. It sounds like this is a common problem and we eventually got it resolved.

Room: Very nice, the bed was hard! We were so tired by the end of each day, it really didn't matter too much. The room was clean and NO RATS, MICE or BUGS! I laughed when I read that someone had a rat jump out at them. The way the closet is situated, if something jumped out over your shoulder, you won't have to worry about it running away.... it would hit the wall behind you and drop to the ground. There were no holes in the closet or bathroom, other than a vent. You have to ask for face towels and hand towels, but we left a note with a tip for the maid and she would make sure we had everything we needed.

Restaurants: We ate at the Poseidon, Lotus, Bubbas Steakhouse & Xamayca and they were all very good. If you go to Bubbas, order the ribeye, it is very very tasty! I am not sure why anyone would choose a ny strip over a ribeye? The ribeye is a better cut of meat and has a lot more taste to it. If you want to get into Bubba's, you have to be there by 7:00 p.m. or you will not get in. The buffets are good, they tend to have the same choices everyday. At least you know what you are getting.

Pool: The pool is beautiful! Yes, there are tiles missing here and there. I am sure they will plan to fix this once the busy season is over. The water is cool, but very refreshing when you are in the hot sun! Leroy at the swim up pool bar is AWESOME! There are a few other pools scattered around the resort and they are nice.

Beaches: The beaches are all nice! We swam in the main beach by the pool, yes it is rocky. The area in front of the hotel is rocky and the rocks that everyone talks about are in the water. We walked along the beach in bare feet and used our aqua socks in the water. It was very refreshing! The coral beach is nice and great for snorkeling. Sunset beach is beautiful and the water is calm with a sandy bottom. Lots of chairs to chose from. It is a long walk up to the bar from the sunset cove beach, so make sure you bring large mugs! They were making improvements to the main beach while we were there, adding palapas, palm trees, sand and a new bar on the beach. It will be very nice when they are done.

Staff: I was concerned about staff from what I read in the reviews, however, the staff were all very friendly. I could see why some people complain about the way they were treated, but my guess is that they were disrespectful to staff. I witnessed this first hand! People are just rude and disrespectful! There were some people from Chicago that came in and gave the bartender a hard time about not having jack daniels, they had ran out, it was almost time for that bar to close, but they insisted that they get jack daniels. Loud and swearing the whole time. They started to put the bartender down, because he couldn't find a shaker to make shots and he had to go get shot glasses. They told him that he didn't know what he was doing. Little did they know, that this was the first night that particular bartender had worked in that bar. If you are going to treat people with such disrespect, then you should expect to get it back. One lady slapped her hand on the pool bar, because the bartender told her he had to get something and in her mind he did not come back fast enough. Another lady didn't like something, so she started to yell at the staff in the restaurant and tell them that they "better not mess with her, she was from NY". Big deal, she is visiting their county, she wouldn't give them the time of day if they came to NY and treated her like that. Trust me! Long story short, the staff are very nice and they have to put up with a lot of grief from the guests. If you want to be waited on hand and foot, then you need to go to a five star resort, one that has a reputation for that type of service. I guess that they can't afford it, so they come here expecting to get that type of service. A little respect will go along way.'

Some inside tips, Miss Lou's is the only bar that serves Red Stripe on the entire property. They also have better alcohol there, sky vodka and canadian club to name a few. The Poseidon, seafood restaurant is very romantic, if you get there at 6:30 you can get a great table! There are many people who don't know that it exists, because it is not by the other restaurants. Bring large cooler type mugs, this saved on trips to the bar and not just for alcohol. They will fill it up with anything you want. The towels are given out by the entertainment center by the beach volleyball court, but get there early. There are always plenty of chairs in the sun, as well as the beach!

18  Thank mnlv2trvl
Reviewed February 17, 2009

This hotel opened in August, 2008 and while it will take a little time for the landscaping to mature, construction quirks to be repaired and a little staff training, we were surprised (after reading some reviews) at the quality of food, the cleanliness and the organization of the huge facility and the pleasantness and over -and- beyond efforts of the staff. The restaurants were surprisingly good (with the exception of the steaks which tended to be tough - I have exerienced this in other Caribbean resorts). Especially to be noted: The Pastifarian restaurant, the Xaimaca (sp) and the Asian. The buffets were of very good quality, considering the quantities of food which had to be prepared. The pools were wonderful (a few tiles will need replacing and support railings re-set) in the largest (huge pool); and there are four other pools, one for adults only, around the property. For the handicapped, the resort is well organized except for the lack of functional elevators between the lobby and the first level in the main building. (You can get a ride from one level to the other in one of the many people transporters, which usually take people back and forth from the different venues at the resort to their accommodation). There must have been tremendous challenges to the construction of this resort, including the availability of skilled labour. It is actually a bit isolated being about half way between Montego Bay and Negril. We did find the taxis a bit excessive in cost but had previously contacted a tour operator who would happily do the same thing, or better, for less. For a safe and somewhat luxurious holiday in Jamaica for all members of the family, I would recommend the Grand Palladium. Great for spa addicts, and tennis players too. Kids programs appeared to be excellent. I understand that the snorkeling is excellent. There will, sometime in the future be a casino included in the development. The licensing is forthcoming. We spent a very relaxed and happy two weeks and had no difficulties. In my opinion, some of the staff had to put up with some very rude and pushy people, especially at the reception desk. I witnessed one woman screaming and swearing at the receptionist because she was a day early for a reservation which she, herself had made. I'm afraid my tolerence would not have extended to finding her a place for the night. We found most of the staff were invariably pleasant. Some of the newer employees (for instance, in the buffets) were quite shy which perhaps was misinterpreted as being rude or unhelpful. Patience everyone! This hotel has employed mainly local people, giving a much needed boost to the area and if they are as good as they are in the few months of experience they have had, they can only improve.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank waterrat1
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I spent alot of time trying to find a good resort for my husband and I. After several days of searching I decided on the grand Palladium. It wasn't until after I booked that I took the time to see what other people thought of the resort. What a mistake!!! I had nothing but dread for a whole month prior to leaving because most of the reviews were terrible. We both were very happy to find the resort as beautiful as it was. I decided I needed to let people know it is a wonderful resort. Our room was great. The bed was a little hard but nothing like Mexico. The food was great and there was always plenty of it. The staff was great never had a problem, for an all-inclusive the drinks were stonger than I thought they would be, best advice is bring a big mug, they will fill it no problem mon. If you are looking for a good romantic getaway this is the place, don't listen to the negative reviews, they probably wouldn't be happy anywhere.

6  Thank scruik
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I visited the Grand Palladium to attend a friend's wedding. While the wedding itself was picture perfect, the rest of our stay left much to be desired.

Their wedding Gazebo was set off in a quiet spot on the resort. It overlooked the water and had the most perfect island sunset as the backdrop. Unlike what I have heard about other resorts, where wedding Gazebos are set in indescrete locations such as next to the volleyball court or in some other high traffic area; this area was a little out of the way and was surprisingly private.

The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful. In my opinion, the resort asthetic is a mixture of styles. The layout is reminiscent of a southern plantation with Greaco-Roman accents by way of columns, carvings and marble floors. The rooms are spread out among about 40 three-story buildings. Everything has an indoor-outdoor feel. The Jamaican breeze blows freely through everything. While this was great during our stay when the weather was beautiful, breezy and dry. I imagine it might not be so great when it rains.

There are a number of restaurants on the grounds to choose from( Blue Lagoon, Negril, Sunset Cove). Although you are given the impression that you can sample different kinds of food at each restaurant, much of the food is the same and pretty terrible. I came to resort expecting to find an assortment of Island cusine, but I was pretty disappointed to find that there wasn't much there. After the first couple meals, it was very clear who the resort was catering to - Americans. Most of the food was common American fare. Lots of burgers, french fries, chicken nuggets. And none of its was very good at all.

The resort boasts that each room is a "junior suite." However, if these are suites, I'd hate to see what they consider a regular room. The smell was pretty terrible (however I will say that my boyfriend, who has been to the Carribbean before, says it smells this way b/c of the ocean. I'm not much of a beach person, so you'll have to decide for yourself). The floors looked nice, but as you look around the room you can truly see the terrible construction in the walls, the tilework in the bathroom, etc.

The bed was like bricks; I truly didn't sleep a wink all weekend. Although I am American and therefore accustomed to softer mattresses and pillows, I knew not to expect the Marriott. I've been to Europe, so I was ready to get the typical platform-style bed that is common outside the US. This bed was far beyond anything I slept on in Europe or Australia. I would have been better off sleeping on the floor. It probably would have been more comfortable and wouldn't have had me itching all night.

The "jacuzzi" tub in the bathroom was dirty and the shower was prone to flooding. My boyfriend had to stuff some of our precious towels (by precious I mean scarce) under the shower door to prevent us from flooding the bathroom again. You can forget about towel service. We requested clean towels 4 times to no avail. We didn't even get a towel refresh after the room was "cleaned." Finally we had to march over to the reception desk and say that we would stand there and wait for the towels to be brought there. The woman at the desk gave me the dirtiest look, then called a gentleman on her walkie talkie. She insisted that towels cannot be brought to the front desk, so we were forced to go back to our room and hope for towels to finally appear. As we came to our building, we noticed a cart of towels that outside of a stock room. Because we didn't have a lot of hope that towels would come, we pilfered some just in case. When we arrived, we saw that two sets of towels were indeed delivered. Although the extra towels came in handy to aid in barracading the shower door.

As far advice goes, I would recommend bringing lots of American dollar bills for tips. Every toothy grin and subtle kindness is in the expectation of a tip. I never saw any Jamaican currency during the entire trip, and all prices were in American dollars. Even at the airport, where we found $160 flip flops, we asked if prices were in Jamaican J. We were told that "Jamaican money is not accepted at the airport." We found that humerous.

• Check in / front desk
4  Thank travelover125
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and i had never been to jamaica. and this place was amazing. The people were great, The hotel is new. Minor problems such as the room keys didn't work put they took care of everything. Beach is a little rocky put the pool was great and the pool bar was evening better. tours in to town are cheap and you can find everything you want. The food is very good and none stop drinking with the music. my wife and i will never forget it. And bring alot of singles. Don"t pay more then 50.00 us from the airport to hotel. Ricks cafe had the best sunset we ever saw. we'll be back soon.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank mpad1969
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Well my husband and I just returned from the Lady Hamilton resort in Jamaica and we had the best time. I was a little worried after reading the reviews, but once we got there all my worries disappeared. The staff was very friendly, the room was nice and the food was good. We only ate at the buffets' but we really enjoyed them. I have no complaints because every hotel has its problems. I would definitely book another stay at this resort.

8  Thank lightskin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#20 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!