“Great Staff - Bad Management”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Ontario, Canada
“Great Staff - Bad Management”
Reviewed February 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed here the week of Jan.17th to the 24th, 2009.
A lot of issues have to be dealt with for it to be given a 4 star rating.

Reception:
We arrived at the resort about 12 noon. We were given a most welcome “welcome” drink!

Check in:
We were checked in quickly; but our room hadn’t been cleaned - so we had some lunch, then just stayed around the reception area until we our room was ready. (about 4p.m.!)There were no porters available (or willing) to take our bags, and as we were staying in villa 12, it was only a short walk and we managed it ourselves.

Rooms:
We had a 1 bedroom suite and it was absolutely gorgeous. We had 2 balconies. The one off the bedroom faced the ocean, and the one off the sitting room had an ocean view and an extensive view of the resort. We found the bed quite comfortable. We had a mini-fridge both in the bedroom and in the sitting room. Air conditioning worked well, although we liked to have the balcony doors open a bit at night to hear the ocean. The bathroom shower stall door was not affixed properly; it seemed to scrape along the floor and the heavy glass door was rather difficult to open and close.
The chesterfield in the sitting room was very uncomfortable.

I had hoped there would be a kettle in the room (I’m a tea drinker), but there wasn’t. When I asked at reception if they had one, they seemed perplexed...as though that was a very unusual request. They said to check back later; when I did, they told me no kettles were available, and that I should use the coffee machine in my room to make tea. (!)
The ice machine did not work in our villa or in other villas that were close to us.

Maid Service:
I left a note for the maid to leave extra towels, and a bathmat; and my requests were honoured the next day. We always leave a tip for the maids the first day we arrive and have always received good service when we do this. As well, we tipped the man who stocks the mini-bars the first day, and our fridges were always filled.

Bar Service:
Generally, bar staff were great – always smiling and always happy. Unfortunately (unbelievable really) – the resort ran out of beer on two of the days we were there!

Restaurants:
Food at the resort was great. For breakfasts and lunches there was a variety of delicious dishes to choose from. Desserts were yummy! Service was very slow and the food mediocre at the ala carte restaurants, with the exception of the Poseidon Seafood restaurant. I recommend the Poseidon, the food, service and ambiance was very good.

Breakfast at the buffet was not managed well. Waiting to be seated at 7.30a.m. was unnecessary, as the restaurant was not busy at that time; especially since you would sit for 10 minutes without anyone asking if you’d like some coffee or tea.
The only tasks the workers in the buffet have are serving tea and coffee, ice water, and setting or clearing the tables. They seemed to have a very difficult time doing this. When they would get you a cup of coffee, they’d have to come back to give you cream. If you ordered tea, they’d have to come back to give you some milk. Sometimes the wait between these two tasks could be as long as10 minutes.
We heard many others complaining. Perhaps leaving a small container of cream on the tables would be a good idea? Or, having a coffee and tea station set up where we could help ourselves? Clearly management needs to address this.

Inclusions/Amenities:
We went to try archery one morning, and we were informed that the bow (I guess they only had one!) was broken. When we asked about the rifle shooting, we were told they didn’t have any; although it was listed on the activities brochure we received when we checked in. There was a charge for the snorkelling tour; although this fee was not mentioned in the brochure.
The spa prices were very inflated. I scraped my foot on the tiles in the spa Jacuzzi.

Beaches: Sunset Cove is the only beach suitable for swimming, although it is busy with the water sports and is very crowded. It is in shade most of the day.
The other beaches were weedy and rocky, you need to wear water shoes. When the ocean is choppy, you cannot use the beaches, it is too dangerous.

Pools: The infinity pool at the resort is impressive, although many of the tiles have come off the bottom. The other pools have tiles missing as well. Be careful you don’t cut your feet. The water is quite cold but refreshing.
Surprisingly, there is only one washroom near the infinity pool, with only two stalls. When we were there one of the toilets was out of order. One washroom is not enough for all of the people around the pool area, as well as the luncheon crowd!

Entertainment:
Most nights we spent at Lou’s bar, where we enjoyed excellent service. Premium liquors are available. The music was great; the bands were very entertaining and we danced quite a bit!

Excursions:
We went to Negril one day and spent the day on the beach. It was exquisite; the water was Caribbean blue! We also went to Rick’s cafe. I found it mega-touristy and very crowded.

I do recommend getting out of the resort for a bit; try to see some of the countryside and meet some of the wonderful Jamaican people!

Personal Thoughts:
I would rate this as a 3 star resort. There are many issues that need to be resolved. It is clearly a management problem; the workers themselves do the best they can.
Ala carte restaurants were understaffed; as well, we arrived for dinner one night at 6.30, and when we were seated at 7.15, we were told that 2 of the main selections on the menu were not available.

A note to people at Buffets: There is SO MUCH FOOD, if you don’t see enough of a particular dish – choose something else!!! Oh, so there was no bacon one morning? Try some sausage, some ham, some pancakes, some fruit, some yoghurt, some cereal. If you do see something you like, do you have to take SO MUCH of it? I was in line at the buffet for “Spanish” night, waiting to partake of a “noodles with seafood” dish. The fellow in front of me proceeded to take at least a dozen of the shrimp in the dish! My turn – I found one. What a pig.

Having said all of this, we did enjoy ourselves, the weather was wonderful, and the rum punches were delicious. We met some very nice people there.
The Grand Palladium is just not our type of resort, it was too big. We like smaller, more intimate resorts, and having a beach is a priority for us.

But, if you’re the type that likes to hang around the pool and the swim up bar, then this place is just right for you.

• Liked — The ocean view room
  • Disliked — No beach suitable for swimming
12 Thank sunset07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,830)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We ran into a few problems on the last day of our trip that was a little out of the ordinary!

Alright, so our plane left at 11pm Friday Jan. 31 so I asked the hotel if I could have an extended check-out until 6pm. The instructed me to come back the day before my checkout date after 3 pm. No problem. I arrive the Thursday and ask the check-in lady if I can pay for the extended check-out until 6 pm and she abruptly says no. I say, "That's fine what time can I stay until?" She instructs me 2 pm. "How much?" $40US.

Here is where the first problem happened. On channel 2 in our rooms, it informed us about the resort and this is where I learnt that I can have an extended stay until 4 pm for $40 or 6 pm for $60. Because of this I knew she was overcharing me for a 2 pm stay but I didn't say anything and handed my VISA. She told me the machine didn't work. I tried to use the ATM, which also didn't work. I asked if she can tell me how much it would come to in Jamaican currency because I had some. She instructed me that it would be 3,700. I handed 4,000 and she walked away. She made no attempt to get me change. Once again, I said that's fine and didn't think twice about it.

Friday, our check-out day, we go to check-out after 2 pm and the check-out lady told me there was no record that I payed to stay in my room extra long. She went to get another attendent who tried to accuse us of lying. Once I brought up the fact that they had surveillance cameras over the counters and that I already knew that I had been ripped off they acknowledge between each other who had stolen our money and told us to leave and gave us a check-out slip.

We went and had lunch but then decided to go tell managers at the check-in counter. Once we told them they made no attempt to rectify the situation only acknowlege it but even then you could tell they didn't believe us. About a half hour after we informed them they asked us into a back room behind the check-in area. My boyfriend didn't want to but I thought maybe they would appologize. Quite the reverse.

The put us in a tiny white room with clear windows with 4 other people and one of them was holding the door shut. They wouldn't let us speak without accusing us of being liars. They had one staff member there who worked the counter that they tried to accuse as the one who robbed us but wasn't. My boyfriend walked out and then I had to tell our story to another manager. The whole thing was quite disheartening. It gave me an anxiety attack and made me feel like a criminal. The management had no regard for what was happening at their resort.

Prior to check-out, around 12:30 pm, two of the villa staff knocked on our door and said, "Hey, brother, what you leaving me?" They blatently knocked on our door and asked for money. I would have said something to the managers but clearly they didn't care.

It was really too bad. The resort is nice & the food was good but unfortunately it seemed like a drug lord had more control over that resort because everywhere you went you were harrased to buy drugs by staff. At least we were because we were a younger couple.

Sometimes my boyfriend and I wondered if that was why we were getting a lot of disrespect because we were one of the youngest couples there, that couldn't tip every single person who filled our water glass.

When our bus finally arrived my boyfriend got on before me and I watched them place our luggage on. When I tried to get on, I hadn't the attendant our check-out slip. He looked at our room number and told me to go to reception. I rushed over as the lady behind told me to wait. Once I blurted out that that was my bus and he said I couldn't get on without talking to you she said she didn't even know what for. I had to run over to get on the bus. I really think they were trying to make me miss it. When I did get on, all of a sudden there was one person too many. The bus driver tried to get a 14 year old girld to get off and go in a van behind us. The whole bus got upset and said she wasn't leaving. Her dad went instead. It was pretty weird.

At the airport the staff at the airport bar were rude to everyone because they thought everyone was French Canadian. They actually said that, no joke.

As much as I enjoyed myself at the beginning, I would never go to Jamaica again.

Next year we'll try somewhere different!

• Liked — The food was exceptional
  • Disliked — The management
5 Thank Jennbooth
work
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We just returned from the Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa. We stayed there from 1/24/09 - 1/31/09.The hotel is new and very large and spread out-no elevators so bring your walking shoes. Our room on the third floor had a king bed and large sitting area. Very clean and wonderful housekeeping services. The hotel seemed to have problems with enough help, sometimes both buffets were not open. Nice policy of not having to make reservations for the many restaurants--just show up. Each day the food was cold at both buffets during breakfast. Coffee and tea was hard to come by. Dinner was good at the buffets and at all restaurants we tried. The problem we had was with the ScubaCaribe at the watersports site at the resort. My husband (on his 60th birthday) went out on a scuba dive with another young couple, one divemaster and one boat driver. They did a drift dive. Upon completing the dive and resurfacing, the boat was nowhere to be found. There were 7-8 foot waves and at some point they were able to see the boat about 1/2 mile away. The divemaster did not have a marker buoy nor a flare and they could not get the boat driver's attention. They floated for 1/2 hour and realized they needed to swim for shore. They swam for their lives! They figure they swam between 1-2 miles. My husband got cut on the leg tumbling over a coral reef to get to shore. They had to flag down a car who sent for help to come and get the divers. Afterward, the Marine Police were at the dive shop area and it appears they found quite a few violations--no radio on boat, no safety aids, no license, etc. DON'T DIVE HERE. By the way, there was nothing to see--we saw more fish snorkeling of the shore.

Stayed January 2009
18 Thank spolicelli
Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We arrived on the 11th of January. Our room was amazing! The bed was on the hard side, this is true from other reviews. This is definitely a relaxing resort. There were a few competitions and games around the pool. Water aerobics was a favorite. They do have a few little things to work out, but the resort is new, fresh and clean. Overtime they will most likely have more events going on. The restaurants closed from 10:30am to 12pm...which is not good. They have the sports Bar open for hamburger fries and quasadias. Breakfast was my favorite but I slept in too late a couple of days. The beach in front of pool isnt that great but its woth the walk through the Lady Palladium to the Sunset cove beach. And there is a restaurant there that has Jerk Chicken, Hamburgers and such. I did not enjoy the Seafood Restaurant, even though I love seafood. The best was the Italian. The buffet had a different theme every night and i should have just kept going there. All in all for the price...we paid a great price for a Jamaica vacation compared with Cuba, Dominican or Mexico which are generally cheaper. I feel the resort was worth what we paid for.

Although some guests and locals suggested the Starfish Trelawney for the same price but more activities and events...

7 Thank NovaScotiaBeachBumm
Toronto
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Grand Palladium Jamaica on January 23rd our stay was one week – not nearly enough.

Upon our arrival, which was at night, we all left the coach and went directly to check in. We were the first ones to be tended to and we received a room in villa 12 – which I had heard was great and close to mostly everything. Our room was exactly as we had hoped with a beautiful ocean view. The first night we went and grabbed a quick bite at the buffet, went to the infinity bar for some drinks, then off to the disco and then for a quick stroll on the beach. It was wonderful! When we arrived back to our room at just after 2am we were then introduced to the sounds of the crickets. Anyone who complained about this has wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on their hands. It’s a insect people and we actually found it very soothing.

Our first day til our last day was spent in pure relaxation. We spent many an afternoon at sunset cove, as we love the ocean water. The infinity pool, or any pool for the matter, was very chilly and took more than a few pina colada’s to get fully immersed. The restaurant at Sunset cove was hit or miss. Some days the Paella was outstanding, but others not so much. My husband enjoyed the jerk chicken almost everyday without a complaint. We ate at almost all the restaurants except the Mexican and the Pastafarian. The Indian was spectacular – ambiance and all. The Asian was so good, we ate their twice – best sushi you will have in a Caribbean destination. In our opinion the Xamayica and the Steak house were disappointing, but again that is our opinion. Others found it delightful and hated the asian – to each their own.

We participated in the Negril day trip. Couple hours at the beach, a little bit of time shopping and then off to Rick’s Café for the sunset. This was a great trip and well worth the money we spent. Rick’s is a must and was one of the highlights of our trip.

The entertainment at night is what you make it. We never saw any of the shows, but enjoyed the bands at the infinity bar. We checked out the Disco quite often and always had a great time.

I must say, that with the exception of one moody omelets lady, the staff at this resort is absolutely wonderful. This resort is very lucky to have such professional, courteous and helpful people working for them. We spent most of our money on tipping – that is how grateful we were and how much their attitude and spirit helped us enjoy our vacation.

We were sad to leave the beautiful weather, the grandeur of the resort and the overall feeling of relaxation that envelopes you the moment you make your way around this resort.

We wouldn’t change a thing – except maybe staying an extra week!

• Liked — everything
11 Thank Cubakitty76
charlotte, nc
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay and had a great time. We had also stayed at the "Ocean Coral & Turquesa" (an H10 resort in the Mayan Rivera) this past Summer and saw a LOT of similarities in the properties even though this is a Fiesta/Palladium owned property.

Some tips:
- at the MB airport.. the "red caps" are $1/bag. You're only going about 75 feet out the door. If you're tired and want someone to point you to the bus then $1 is a bargain, otherwise roll your own.
- bring comfortable shoes for walking a LOT.
- they're losing their shirts right now so be grateful for what you get.
- bring a bottle opener if you drink beer.
- buy your gift t-shirts, coffee, alcohol, etc at the airport when you leave (prices at resort are high).
- wi-fi is free in the main lobby above the gift shop. 110v outlets are across from main check-in counter. It's fast enough to do google voice chat.
- our shower didn't drain fast enough if the water was turned on wide open.. throttle it down a bit and it was fine.
- bring a big "cooler" type mug so you don't have to make frequent trips to the bar.. er.. so you'll be eco-friendly and not force them to use lots of little plastic cups.
- no need to exchange dollars for Jamaican dollars..
- if it rains then the nice marble is SLICK.
- casino still wasn't open.... actually.. several things weren't open. With the economy the way it is and their income way down you're lucky they're open at all. Take what you can get.
- if you want a place to get away - this is a good one.
- if you want white sandy beaches then this might not be the place.. but it is nice.
- ask for a "flaming Bob Marley" at the bar.
- relax.

Some observattions:
- great mix of people. Some old, some with kids, some couples, etc.
- mostly Americans and Canadians while we were there.
- no construction going on (others reported beach construction eariler)
- first night we were there the crickets (or something) were so loud we thought it was a fire alarm. We hadn't seen ANY bugs at all and were totally convinced the sound was fake-electronic. It wasn't as a couple of nights later the insanely loud bugs were only in a few spots.
- resort was 40 or maybe 50% full. Ignore the person who said the resort was "overbooked". BS. This resort is getting crushed by the slowing economy. See my pics.
- if it were 100% booked the beaches would be overwhelmed.
- yes there are construction/maintenance issues.. same goes for the Montego Bay airport and most of Jamaica. Don't let it spoil your vacation. You'll see wires hanging out, hear of people with plumbing issues, etc. Have a drink. relax.
- you're going to walk a LOT. This is just how these resorts are laid out.. whether in Mexico or Jamaica. Deal with it. Enjoy it. You're eating too much anyway and need to walk it off. It's good for you.
- wait staff, maintenance, etc did not embody "no problem, mon". They're as concerned as everyone else with the slowing economy. They see the resort restaurants half full with no wait and know it's not a good sign.

Some kudos:
- for less than $240/night we got an amazing room with two flat panel tvs, a hot tub, a stocked fridge, and two balconies (one of which I could have thrown a rock into the Caribbean from). AND all the drinks and food I could handle. Wow.
- the bartenders all did an excellent job of serving a drink without a long wait.
- check-in/check-out was smooth.
- no time-share pitches (or we dodged them..)

Some complaints:
- beer in mini-bar requires a bottle opener but none in the room.. huh? Lots of marks on nice furniture from where others opened the bottles. I found the door latch in the bathroom would open it, but that's not cool.
- our safe wouldn't "program" the first couple of days. We didn't let it ruin our vacation. They fixed it..
- all food was great except for NY steak.. it was like freaking shoe leather and it was rare. wtf? All other food was great.
- Jamaica as a whole needs to clean it's image up. The trash beside the road to/from the resort is disgusting. On the way to the airport the bus driver fussed at one of the passengers for not paying the "red cap" $1... she had to get off the bus and pay the guy. That was low. (she wasn't going to this resort and the bus had no relationship with this resort). I'm sure they've come a long way over the years, but they've got a long way to go if they're going to compete with other resort destinations in the world.

• Liked — value
9 Thank loungechairweight
Ontario
Reviewed February 1, 2009

R&R at the Grand Palladium Jamaica

Ya Mon No Problem! R&R =s Roaches and Rats !!!!
Don’t get me wrong the resort is beautiful. Weather perfect with only a couple afternoons of rain. Food delicious with lots of variety BUT the roaches and rats do exist. Roaches were not healthy (obviously they try to control by spraying) but the rat that leapt out of my closet over my shoulder was definitely lively and healthy. Front desk offered to switch our room but could not guarantee the problem would not reoccur.

The resort is located near Lucea which is about 50 minutes from the airport. Our check in was quick and efficient and then we were shuttled to our room.

Pros of the resort
*Staff speak English, we really liked this. We have traveled to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica and the language barrier was fun but speaking English was a bonus.
*Rooms are beautiful and roomy
*fridge was well stocked daily
*THEY USE BOOZE IN THE DRINKS we really could feel the effects, unlike at other resorts where you could drink and drink and knew the booze was watered down.
*thankfully no smoking allowed in restaurants.
*large resort so shuttle bus service was necessary…(but infrequent)
* We managed to get into most of the specialty restaurants and were very pleased, especially the Italian & Indian restaurants. However, food does tend to arrive warm except at the buffet restaurants. Restaurants were all very good except Bubbas (steak house) and that disaster was due to a VERY SLOW waiter.
* evening bar and entertainment upstairs was really good :loved the steel band and Jamaican singing. Air was unfortunately polluted with cigarette smoke.
*theatre was fun. Staff try very hard to keep us entertained. The theatre was the best set up we have seen at any resort. All seats were good seats to see from (smokers again ruin it for us)
*beautiful pools, huge and spotless!
*Sunset Cove is a paradise retreat but far from bathrooms, food and bar.
*beach water at Sunset Cove was lovely and warm.
*Paddle Boats at Sunset cove were a great way to spend time relaxing on the water.
*water was calm and clear at sunset cove, great for snorkeling
* they need more staff with the great personality of Damion Campbell. He worked in the Negril Buffet Restaurant. Simply a delight upbeat guy and responded quickly with requests for coffee/drinks... Great guy!!
*Covered walk ways are a nice touch to walk out of rain or from hot sun.
*shopping trip to Negril and Ricks Café was well work the trip ($15 US per person).

Cons of the resort and suggestions they could/should do.
*rooms had roaches and ours had a rat. Rat ran under bathroom vanity and into a large hole under the tub. The resort should seriously cover these holes with metal grills rats can't chew through.
*fridge not very cold, staff said that’s the way it is.
*resort is isolated which makes trips off the resort difficult: 1-3 hour travel time.
*smokers
*Need more non smoking areas at bars ectera, the resort needs to have more non-smoking areas for our evening entertainment enjoyment
*beaches are rocky so need the water shoes.
*pools tended to be cold
*This resort has a brain block when it comes to large groups that travel together. We are a group of 12 and have traveled together for many years to many resorts and have never had an issue getting a table of twelve put together. This place tended to put us at tables of two-sixes or three-fours. This usually meant different waiters serving at different speeds. Not to mention the specialty restaurants do not take reservations so they would try to make us wait until several large existing tables were emptied instead of putting together new ones… which meant people of twos and fours jumped in ahead of us while we waited for the larger tables to finish eating. Charenne the Hostess at Bubbas was the worst for not keeping her promises of ten minutes ! Most annoying.
* Asian restaurant was not tasty but perhaps that is a food preference on our part.
*The main buffet restaurant (Negril) could have more toasters, line gets quite long.
*Toilet seats were wobbly all over the resort. Perhaps they were cheaply installed.
*After a heavy rain there is a septic smell about the resort.
*perhaps they could have waiters circle about for drinks at pools and beaches
*Sunset Cove needs another set of steps leading to the quiet Cove… there is a well tracked path down a hill that people were making…so resort should take the hint.
*would be nice if they added Nachos/popcorn at the pool areas near Relax pool and Activity Centre as it’s a long walk for snacks.
*large resort so long walks as shuttles are not frequent.
*need more garbage’s at pool areas and on beaches. Lots along walk ways but not in these areas… means more long walks with trash and therefore noted people tended to leave in sand or by lounge chairs.
*our rooms were at the extreme opposite end of Resort (1800 building) from the Sunset Cove…
* Near the middle of the week they ran out of towels, so rooms were not stocked with any! ..When we asked for them they arrived with ONE! We started taking swim towels to our rooms to shower with and then they ran out of them too… perhaps they need to order more.
*the pools have large Jacuzzis with what looks like jets but they do not work…yet… at least that is what we were told by the staff.
*Pool Bars ran out of the small plastic cups so we were requested to reuse the ones we had already used.
*Main bar ran out of Rum Cream and orange juice
*you had to plan ahead for shuttle ie: by at least 20-30 minutes.
* if you have a complaint the staff tend to agree with everything you say but you know nothing will get done.. no follow up. The staff are in NO HURRY to respond to requests or concerns, not even when you are screaming about a rat in your room.
* evening bar and entertainment was really good except for the few smokers that ruined the air for us who prefer to not receive second hand smoke. Would be nice if they had a non-smoking entertainment area.

• Liked — The variety of food.
  • Disliked — a rat in our room
  • Stayed January 2009
7 Thank GreyCountygirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!