“Pretty good at the grand palladium.......”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed November 30, 2008

I will divide this into sections for easy commentary: First the Hotel and the grounds:

The hotel itself is really nice. It was a beautiful location and the hotel was spotless at all times. The decor is very tasteful and upscale and the staff was very polite. No trouble checking in and we got upgraded to an ocean front room for free which was really lovely. We were there over thanksgiving week and the hotel was about forty percent full (or so I heard from the staff.) For reception staff they were very efficient. No long wait, no big attitude, no problem mon.

The grounds are nice but they seem to have trouble keeping their foliage alive there. Everything in the flower beds was dead . Still the hotel has lovely architecture and the dead stuff was no big deal. The pool was huge and well kept. There was always adequate seating and plenty of towels. You will not need to get up early to claim a spot. Crowding is not a problem. There are several pools some near the rooms, one main pool with a large swim up bar and one all adult pool. All nice, all with good service. Usually hotels have entertainment staff that get the guests involved in things but this group was pretty low key and I saw kind of minimal guest participation. For an entertainment group they were pretty timid. Not rude or unpleasant just reserved and not very chatty.

If you are a beach person the beach is really mediocre. There is a nicer beach with big trees on the far side of the resort but the other beach spots are rocky. There was some nice shells if you are a sheller on the rocky beach. The beach areas are small.

The resort is really large but we didn't have any trouble getting around. This would be a problem if you were elderly or not very mobile. There are lots of stairs and long walks.

next lets talk service: Overall the service was really nice. We are really friendly people and by in large the staff was really friendly in return. The bar staff was quick and if I had any complaints there it was that they made the drinks so strong you could barely get them down. After one or two you don't notice so much (smiles) . The wait staff and our room made were really friendly and did a really good job.

The wait to get into restaurants at peak times was no more than about twenty minutes but the time inbetween courses was really long. Dinner was usually at least an hour and half event. Allow yourself time. (But you on vacation no need to rush)

Now food: There was a wide selection of food available and over all the food was really good. Most all inclusives have really bad buffet food but this place was really pretty good all arouond. The pastries at breakfast are excellent as are the breads. The eggs are pretty good and if you find the bar that has the Jamaican breakfast foods try them. They are excellent. Don't miss the breakfast porkchops covered in jamaican spices...they were delicious. Lots of the jamican foods look suspect by our norms in the states but taste great. Don't let the appearance frighten you. Be brave.

The one down side to food during the day was.....most restaurants require that you be wearing something other than beach attire. There was only one snack bar close to the beach that you could grab something to go from and nothing near the pool. The sports bar was a good location for snacks but demanding no wet suits and no tank tops really made it hard to just grab a bite mid day.

Now dinner.. The indian food was great, the jamaican food was great, the steak place.....was middle of the road .....the mexican was bad the night we had it but I heard they were moving the kitchen; so that might not be the norm. The japanese place has good sushi if you like rolls. Definitely try the geisha roll if you like spicy food.

Tours: We didnt go on any but I made friends with some of the staff. I heard the tours are not worth doing. If you do chose to try one out don't use Jamaica tours. We used them for airport transfers and they hosed us with an extra fee for taking us to our hotel and they were an hour late coming to get us when we left. If there had been a long line at customs or our ticket counter at the airport we would have missed our flight. While I don't usually mind living on Jamaican time its not good for when you really need to be some place. There are two other tour companies there pick one of those.

We usually travel to different places each vacation but if I was going to repeat one I would definitely visit this resort again.

9  Thank SterlingSmithJames

Reviewed November 29, 2008

Our trip this time was with a few problems, which we dealt with at the time as much as we could. We have decided not to fly sunwing again! Our flight going and coming home was delayed 1 hour, with a washroom closest to our seats closed on the way home. The Grand Palladium is a beautiful resort, but with water/plumbing problems. Our room 1704 had water dripping in washroom, moved to room 1504 which had worse water problems. Woke up to 1 inch of water throughout the entire washroom. Moved to a ocean-front suite upgrade, room #1106 which was fabulous. It was closer to everything, but still quiet. Fabulous oceanview patio from living area and bedroom. At the sunwing orientation, we were told that because the resort was not at full capacity, that no reservations were required for the a la carte restaurants. We tried the Indian, Italian, Creole, Steakhouse and Asian. Food was fantastic. My only disappointment was the tea. Unfortunately this is the first time I did not take some Tetley with me. Minor irritant. Loved the resort, for it's geographic rocky/hilly areas and could get a sunset view. We would definitely go back to this resort, but need to wait a bit for problems to be ironed out. Great bands played everynight around 9:30pm. Internet- free wifi in lobby is slower than dial up service.-buy a card from the internet cafe wifi $8.00 for one hr. but I only got 45min out of it (it is alot faster .save your time by per writing your emails)
Missed a crafter night on the resort. For the first time we did no day trips, made this a r & r holiday! All in all for the price, couldn't complain.

6  Thank Iam007
Reviewed November 26, 2008

We arrived on Nov. 17th and were in and out of the airport very quickly. The ride to the hotel is every bit of 45 minutes. We were there to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and when we checked in we were given a wristband showing the help that we were VIP's and then we were put in building 16 which is almost as far away from the acion as you can get. The room was a juinor suite and on the third floor with no elevators. It had a view of the ocean that we had requested but it was so windy that we could not sit out on the balcony very long. The room was very spacious but not very well constructed or very well kept up. There were ants in our bed and in our closets. The maid never gave us the proper amount of towels for two people any of the seven days that we were there. The bathroom exhaust would be howling most of the time from the wind and the shower never drained completely due to how the tiles in the shower were installed. This meant that there would be standing water in the shower from the day before. The maid never tried to remove the water which probably meant she never cleaned the shower.

There was a bottle od champane in the room for us to celebrate our anniversary. The power was constantly going off and then coming back on. Once it went off in just our room for almost one hour before it was fixed. The water also was off for over an hour one day.

The resort is very beautiful to look at from a distance but when you start to look at it closely as I did there was paint chipping, broken tiles all around, and roof shingles coming off all the roofs. This is a resort that has been open since June and all this is already going on.

The food in the Asian and Mexican was excellent as was the buffet resturants for breakfast and lunch. The problem in the buffet resturants was that the food was cold most of the time and the milk was warm most of the time. I think they have some issues with there refrigeration equipment because most of the time they didn't have ice cream. The Italian was average as was the Creole resturants. The steak joint was terrible and we did not eat at the Indian.

The entertainment consisted mostly of the hired help dancing around and asking for us to be louder. Most nights it was a waste of time. The sports bar was nice and the drinks were excellent. The Posident resturant is nice for lunch only.

The only beach that is worth going to is Sunset Cove beach which was very nice. The problem for us was that it was on the oposite end of the hugh complex. Yes they have golf carts to bring you there if you choose to use them, we did not.

The staff is very slow moving and seem to be more interested in getting a tip than actually performing any task. Bring a lot of singles with you and be prepared to leave them on the island.

I know that this review is not the same as most of the reviews that have been written. It is how we saw this resort. This is the first review that we have ever written and we have travel a great deal. This resort is not a four or five star resort. I think I am being kind in giving it a three star rating. The only reason I am is based on what I paid and what I got. A lot of changes need to be made before this resort could possibly be upgraded to a higher rating.

4  Thank fitterjim
Reviewed November 25, 2008

We stayed at GP from November 7-11 2008, I go to Jamaica very often and stay at many resorts but I must say this has to be the nicest one. It may be for the fact that it is ''brand new'' but with out that factor the service is off the hook!! The staff is lot's of fun and there is lot's to see. From the point of arriving you did not have to do anything at all. As for tips'' well they where NOT refused'' but not expected!!! I did see a kids area, but not many kids there. The Gym is wonderful. To go from one place on the resort to the next you have to take a driver as everything is ''kind of far'' from each other. The grounds itself are AMAZING. For sure check out Andrene at the bar that is located inbetween the Japanese resturaut and the Jamaican Creole(she is madddd fun) (try the Bob Marley shooters)The only problem that we had was that the key did not work for our door to get into the room(everynight). They did not fix the problem but we did get compensation for the inconvience. Also the stock mini-bar(had no stock)I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I just hope that they can keep up there current ''amazing'' REPUTATION.....

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank bapsyt
Reviewed November 24, 2008

My husband and I were there from 11/15-11/22. We were lucky to get an ocean front room, which is amazing. The 1st. room (1714) was found leaking on top of the toilet after I had unpacked my stuff. They moved us to another ocean front room(1513). We stayed there for one night w/ no problem. When we woke up the next morning, I thought it was raining hard, but it's actually leaking terribly everywhere in the bathroom. They were nice to accommodate us a 3rd. ocean front room(1728). This time we stayed on the 3rd. floor, so there's no more leaking problem.

Besides the leaking situation, we had a very good time there. The food has different variety. I liked their "Lotus-Asian", "Indian" and "Italian" restaurant. Try to go early to avoid long waiting though. They also got good scene and beach activities. You can get free paddle boat, sail boat and snorkeling equip. at sunset cove. Adult pool has sauna, hot jacuzzi and pouring water for massage. Sports Bar has pingpong, pool table and table soccer game available. Don't miss the "Leroid Special" drink from the wet bar at the main pool. It's really good!!!!
Entertainment everynight is also good. Grab a drink and enjoy the Carribean breaze w/ romantic music. Oh....It's just like a paradise!

4  Thank dancingtrip
Reviewed November 24, 2008

First of all, the Grand Palladium is on of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. It has a lovely open environment with marble tile everywhere, and fantastic views of the ocean. The rooms are very spacious, and the food is very good for this type of resort. They have great drinks, the pool is one of the best I've seen, and some of the employees are extremely nice.

Now the bad parts....We had to call the front desk 4 times to have them stock our refrigerator. The refrigerator was not plugged up so the drinks were hot for the first 24 hours. Our A/C did not cool the room very well, and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The Electricity to the resort went out on multiple occasions. They also give you beer that requires a bottle opener to open, however, they provide no bottle openers.

The service overall was not impressive. The bar staff was great, however, the restaraunt staff all appear to be bothered by your presence, and you have to ask multiple times for items such as: coffee, a coke, a beer, etc....Even though they don't provide excellent service, they expect an excellent tip...The only other issue was the security on site. One guard actually offered to sell me and my wife drugs....However, it feels very safe around there other than that.

I would probably go again, because it is a great value, but it would not be my first choice by any means. I prefer to go to Mexico or one of the other islands where the locals treat you as a guest not an intruder.

4  Thank travelvulture78
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Helpful hints!

1)Bring your own bottle opener, they don’t have one to open you beer in the room

2)DON’T use the credit card phone in the room. It cost $25 for the first 5 mins. Better off to use the hotel phone for $2.50 a minute. Better yet, check you cell phone plans before you leave.

3)Bring at least 10 one dollar bills for every day you stay. No way to get change here, and tips are worth it.

4)ATM machine doesn’t work on the resort

5)The credit card machines didn’t work for 5 of the 7 days we stayed in the resort either

6)If you want to do some serious seashell hunting bring some kind of foot protection. The beach in front of the main pool is very rocky and sharp, but lots of sea shells can be found.
Dont worry about the beach being rocky as they have 3 and the one on the west side of the resort is very nice.

7)Bring your own insulated cup if you’re a beer drinker. They understandably give you plastic ones on the beach and pool areas and if you want to drink more than 6 oz before getting another bring your favorite cup.

8) Buy the transportation to the resort before you come, I hear it is very expensive as this resort is 45 mins from the airport.

9) If you want to buy souveniers, go on a shopping tour. Pick a rainy day to do this, they souveniers were almost 50% than in the resort

This resort was awesome for the money, we had great food service and the food was ok

Don’t go to this resort if you expect 3 or 4 star service in the rooms. This is what we experienced. We had a SERIOUS water leak from the shower above. We spent 4-5 hours of our vacation trying to get them to fix it to no avail or even a move to another room even after complaints to the management. We reported it the first day, and they sent a repair person to LOOK at it. He did nothing to fix it. We complained to the desk and they said they would have someone call us the next day to see if it was fixed. NO FOLLOWUP at all. We went to main desk AGAIN. They said go to your room and we will have someone to check it out with you in 20 minutes. 2 hours later no one came.

Don’t expect any hand towels or wash cloths. The maids told us they were doing inventory. They should of at least left us our old ones, but they took them too. The next day was the same thing.

We always felt that we got the run around on any problem we had with the room and by the 3rd day we just lived with the leaking shower and the water running down our walls.

The resort itself is beautiful. The people are nice. There was no Poolside service, which I thought you got at resorts like this but there were bars that weren’t far away.

Remember the Jaimaican people will go out of their way and tips are appreciated. Thier average wage in a resort is $80 a week and their price are about the same as they are here.

6  Thank mrrrkva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!