“Great "looking" resort....”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Ottawa, Canada
“Great "looking" resort....”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

So this was my 1st resort ever. I previously went to 2 cruises so was curious on whether a resort would appeal to me more than a cruise. The verdict: this resort made me love resorts more than cruises. The resort is absolutely stunning and while the beach is man-made it is gorgeous as well. The resort itself is huge and never feels crowded although there are many people. The staff overall was pretty great as well. That's the good aspects of the resort.

Now to the bad aspects....

(1) Food

I consider myself a foodie and a health nut who loves greasy unhealthy treats every now and then so I cook often and scrutinize food that I pay for as I believe food I pay for should be better or equally good to anything I can cook. That being said, the food was good but far from spectacular. But again, it really depends on what kind of relationship you have with food. I like strong flavors, colorful, balanced and diversified meals. Most a la carte restaurants had either food that was overcooked, not well seasoned or just "meh". The presentation of the food was always top notch but taste was something else. Again, not horrible but when people say Jamaican resorts have the best food, expectations get pretty high. Also, the fact the food I had in a la carte restaurants in cruises was often spectacular, my expectations for a resort may have been unreasonably high. On the other hand, the "Jerk Hut" by the beach was great!!!

(2) Entertainment

Again I may be biased a bit (being spoiled by cruises) but the entertainment was extremely limited 1 kids show and 1 adults show per night.

(3) Resort taxi service

Be careful and be aware most cabs get a cut for bringing unsuspecting tourists to shops that overcharge you for rum and other items instead of bringing them to the places where you can get better deals. Save yourself the trouble and buy from duty free at the airport.

Conclusion:

Overall, this is a great 1st resort experience for me. However, I have to give it an average rating because food and less importantly entertainment are key to me. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great looking resort in Jamaica with decent food and entertainment.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JamBeekay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 7 days in March 2014 and we vacationed with another couple. The resort is nice - it's very large but it never felt overcrowded (at least not during our stay). The pool area is also very big and it was nice that we never had to rush out there to save lounge chairs. There are about 3-4 beach areas you can go to a various ends of the resort. I have to say that this isn't a place to go to if you are looking to hit up the beach everyday, as the sand and water were nothing too special. The only one worth going to is Sunset Cove (this is the only beach that isn't man-made), and even that one isn't anything to write home about. If you are going to enjoy the beach and ocean, Negril is the area you should stay in.

There are 3 buffets and 7 restaurants! I'm a very picky eater so the restaurants were a bit difficult for me, but we enjoyed going somewhere new each night. The buffets offered a lot of vegetable options and there is a salad bar in EVERY restaurant! They were my saving grace! The steakhouse was probably the best - they have a chicken dish for those of us that aren't red meat eaters. I personally would skip the italian and mexican all together. The seafood restaurant is a very nice setting, although i didn't have any great fish (in any restaurant). My husband and friends also enjoyed the jerk chicken hut on the Sunset Cove beach.

We stayed in bldg 13 (Jamaica side) based on the recommendations I read on here. It was perfectly fine but very hot - even with the AC cranked all the way. Our friends upgraded to a bungalow on the Lady Hamilton side and it was also nice. For us, it wasn't worth the extra $30 a night; although their jacuzzi was GINORMOUS. The reviews said to get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and we did that. We didn't hear any noise from the pool or night shows. Bldg 11 or 12 might have been a bit nicer since they were closer to everything, but i can't say if they were noisy or not. You actually should definitely bring ear plugs. There are tree frogs at night and they make sleep impossible for someone who can't stand noise. I planned ahead and had ear plugs on hand so it wasn't as bad for us. Although, sleeping with ear plugs on vacation isn't very relaxing. The beds were also hard as rocks and I had some trouble staying asleep because i was very uncomfortable. It felt amazing to get back into my pillow top at home - i have a new appreciation for our mattress.

Blg 13 was a bit of a hike to the gym (no where near as bad as it could have been with some of the farther our rooms), but not a big deal at all. If you do plan on working out, the gym is nice but sparse. I had to get there before 7AM just to get on a machine in the morning. There were only 2 working elliptical machines (out of 3 total), 2 working treadmills (out of 3 total), 3 (maybe 4) bikes, and a stair climber. It was a little frustrating if i got there and couldn't go on one of the two ellipticals, but it was ok. It should be larger in comparision to how huge the entire resort is.

Most of the guests appeared to be couples (late 20s/30s and middle aged) and families. There weren't too many singles or groups of single people. This was fine for us, but if you are trying to meet other singles, it's likely not the place for you.

Lastly, the resort workers were extremely friendly. If I had one complaint it's that each and everyday someone came up to us to ask us if we were planning on going to the spa and it was a bit annoying. Also, the people organizing the activities were a little aggressive when it came to people not wanting to participate or wanting to sleep in lieu of playing games. Other than that everyone was very accomodating and fun to be around.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christina K
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just came back from the Grand Palladium Jamaica last week, for a 7 day vacation( March 14-March 21-2014) with friends. From the minute we arrived the hospitality we received at this resort was Amazing !!

Rooms were spacious and clean and we upgraded to an ocean view which was worth the money. We had a Fantastic view of the sea from our balcony.

This resort is pretty big, we were in block 16 which was nice and quiet, but far from front desk or restaurant. If you are not someone who likes to take walks, this may not be the place for you but the golf carts will come pick you up if you call ahead to the front desk if you have a villa farther away, OR if you want to venture over to explore the Lady Hamilton side of the resort -which has the better bigger beach (Sunset beach/cove) where the non-motorized water sports are located.

Our favorite restaurant was the steak house, we also enjoyed the Italian and Xaymaica (a shot out to Shane our waiter that did an amazing job). We also tried the Mexican but did not enjoy the Mexican restaurant as much. We were always pleased with the buffet and waiter and waitresses were always awesome at the buffet.

The pool is gorgeous and always plenty of chairs available . The entertainment by the pool was amazing. A big shot out to Weazy and Pitbull for making us feel so welcome and getting us to participate. We had so much fun !! Thanks guys !!
The team also did a great job with the shows at night. Kudos to all of you !!!

Definitely feel free to bring your own sippy cup, We had an insulated cup and they filled it up with whatever we wanted to drink, this was great because then your drink didn't melt and stayed cold and you didn't have to keep running to the bar to refill the small cups they give you.

In our room we had an iPod dock, and a free mini-bar which is stocked with Coke, Sprite, orange, water, and Red Stripe beer.

The staff all over the place were SO happy always singing, saying hello, great people.
Lovely staff,so friendly and helpful.Overall, our service was excellent,
I highly recommend the Grand Palladium Jamaica !!!

Room Tip: I would choose Villa 12-13, closer to everything.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank NewBrunswicker08
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear NewBrunswicker08,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This is our 6th visit to the Grand Palladium resort and enjoyed our stay there. This is the second time we stayed on the Jamaican side in building 11.It's the closest to the main building. The other 4 times were on the Lady Hamilton side. If you don't mind walking ,the Jamaica side is more spread out and newer.
FOOD, every day has a theme night in the main buffet area. You should be able to find something you like.
ROOMS,are very big and cleaned every day.Only once did we have a plumbing problem.
ENTERTAINMENT,every night there's a show ,but it's at 9:30.When your spending all day on the beach or by the pool, it's too late for us.
No complaints. I want to give a big thanks to Jayne Revell at Beach Bum vacations. We made a number of requests concerning room location and air lines seating.We able to get what we wanted.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
23 Thank tony g
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear tony g,

Thank you for sharing your review about your 6th vacation here with us! We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had. We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer, from the luxurious accommodations to the delicious meals which were had.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
SUFFOLK
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Lovely staff, so friendly and helpful.
Asked for a high floor and quiet, not realising there were no lifts in the villss and as a MS sufferer found the stairs quite hard some days.
only thing which needs to be sorted is the very uncomfortable beds and the over zealous photographers.
if you book a trip with the reps be prepared for a long day! We were pcked up at 7am for the black river trip and got back 8.30pm! Spent most of the first three hours picking up from other hotels. If we go back will upgrade to a bungalow as villa 20 was a long way from reception.
all in all a lovelybreak, by the way we booked dreamliner, this does not fly to jamaica on a monday, but we did get it on the return flight whivh was a thursday.

Stayed March 2014
Greetings wyattbabey,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

West Hempstead, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just got back from Grand Palladium in Jamaica - one mom and one adult daughter. Place, although very big (which for us, sometimes has its downside) is really pretty. We spent a long weekend - which was perfect - don't think I would go there for longer
Pros: beautiful setting and kept very clean; staff is really nice - very friendly and eager to please; not too far from the airport - but all in all count on it taking minimum of 45 minutes - especially if you're sharing transportation; food is plentiful
Cons: looks like it's going to be 5 star hotel but really a 4. Pillows are BAD; entertainment is ok.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 11 - very close to all main things. We were on ground floor - quiet and comfor...
1 Thank chefmf
Dear chefmf,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We appreciate the time which you have taken to bring to our attention the pros and cons of your vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay with us.

sarasota
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband, two children and I arrived March 8. Upon being dropped off we loved the look of the property. Check-in took longer than usual. We had 1 or 2 people in front of us and it took 20-30 minutes before we reached the guest service agent. Our own check in seemed to take a good 20 minutes. You receive pool cards 1 per guest. Upon check out if you do not have your card you will be charged a fee.
Prior to our arrival we had our reservation agent alert the hotel that we were gluten free. we asked about making reservations at the a la carte restaurants and were told they are first come first serve. Upon check in the guest service agent we asked about making reservations at the a la carte restaurants and were told they are first come first serve. She contacted a chef who met us in the lobby. He made us aware of all the ways they can accommodate our dietary needs. We were thrilled. The chef told us to make the hostess aware that we were gluten free upon entering each restaurant or buffet.

After check -in we were waiting for the bellman to take us to our room. After waiting for about 10 minutes we asked if we could eat first and then go to our room. The buffets closed by 4 and it was already 3;30. We went to the buffet and told the hostess about our dietary needs. She asked where our "card" was? (I did not know what she was asking for) She told us to tell our server. We told our server who told us to ask the chefs at the lines to assist us. We ended up figuring some things our for ourselves and asked the questions we could to the staff. We were not overly impressed at this point.

We were taken to villa 18 by golf cart. Our villa was furthest from the main lobby and main pool where all the restaurants are. There are no elevators in the villas. Thankfully the bellman took up our bags upon check-in and check-out he took them back down. Upon arriving to our room which we upgraded by the way so that we could have a door separating the main bedroom from the living area. The room was a typical Caribbean room airy and sparse furnishings. The master bedroom had a beautiful king bed, but the bed was hard as a rock. We called the front desk and they said housekeeping would come by and pad it (that took at least 3 phone calls). My kids sofa bed also needed to be padded. The bed was padded with at least 2 pads which made the bed feel like you were sleeping on a padded wood block. We asked if there were any better beds--there were not. I opened up the mini fridge which contained beer, soft drinks and 2 bottles of water. I called the desk and requested if all the other drinks except the water could be removed and just be given water. I was told that they don't think that is possible to remove the soft drinks and beer. In addition I was told that if we wanted waters only there would be an additional charge. What happened to the term all inclusive? I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts and this is the first time I have had that reaction to my request.

The lack of drawers was a bit surprising to me. When I go to a hotel I prefer to unpack my suitcase. The master bed room had a single drawer by the bed and a cabinet across from the bed that had two shelves and one shelf behind a door that you could pile your clothes in. The closet which was in the living room had three large shelves and some hangers. Obviously most people do not spend more than a few days here or bring very little to wear.
The bathroom had only one towel upon arrival and a call to housekeeping brought us more towels. The shower leaked on the floor so one bath towel needed to be used to prevent the lake of water all over the bathroom.
By the way after you are there for a day it is only about a 10-15 minute walk to that area. I loved the walk-not everyone will. You can call for a shuttle, but they do not always show up immediately. You are in Jamaica and in all fairness they have their own concept of time. I did not alter to Jamaica time so frequently I grew inpatient and just walked where I wanted to go.

The first night we went to the beach buffet which was very tasty and had some good choices for us except my daughter who is very choosy. The buffet celebration also played reggae music. It was a perfect setting. After the rest of us ate dinner I took my daughter to a different buffet to satisfy her.

The second day at breakfast I told the hostess again about our need to eat gluten free to which I was asked again about a "card". We spoke to the line chefs who pointed out what we could have. Which was not what I was lead to believe when speaking to the chef upon check in. After breakfast I went back to the front desk and asked about the card I needed since I was gluten free. I was referred to guest services. The person at guest services was surprised that I was not made aware of this process. She then went on to tell me that since we had dietary issues we could make reservations at the a la carte restaurants so they would know upon our arrival of our dietary need. I received the cards for us and made a reservation at Lotus (if you are not gluten free I bet it is fabulous)!

After going to guest service I went down to the pool to get towels. I wanted an extra towel and was told that you only get one towel per card and if you would like additional towels you need to bring it down from your room. There were plenty of seats around the pool. For once I went to a resort in which you did not need to reserve your chairs early in the morning. I went to the pool bar and asked for bottled water. No bottled water at the pool bar unless you want to pay extra for it. I know most people drink at all inclusive resorts I don[t happen to be one of them. All I wanted was bottled water. Again I could bring it from my room.
The pool looks beautiful at a distance. Once you get in you realize that at some time they had at least 2 jacuzzi areas which are no longer functional. The bicycles in the pool are worthless. At least if you could change the resistance you could get a work out in the water. One of the most annoying things was having the people ask how you were just so they could sell you spa services. I understand that the hotel needs to make additional money somehow, but the constant selling of services was a real turn off for me.
At Lotus we showed our card and again were told to tell the server. The server had no idea what he was dealing with, but he was doing his best to be helpful. We ordered miso soup and ended up with wheat noodles in it. For those of you that are unaware of a gluten allergy--wheat is something that is not within the gluten free parameters. We ate the rest of the meal and were not impressed. They did not have Tamari (gluten free soy sauce) and many of the dishes had to be made without sauce. We ended up going to a buffet after so we could feel like we ate dinner.

The following morning I went back to guest services and requested to meet with the general manager. I was really annoyed by this time. I was doing my best to be understanding, but I was losing my patience. I was told that she would ask, but she did not think that would be possible. I worked in hotel management for 7 years. I really understand front and back of the house operations.

I went back to guest services a few hours later and was told they left a message in the room that the food and beverage manager would meet with me. I was past the scheduled time, but the called and he was in his office. I was escorted back to the office and sat down to speak with him. He was a pleasure--Jose` Torres. Jose` was surprised by the sequence of events and most apologetic. He was unaware of the chef we met with and was confused by what the person had promised us. He went on to explain the typical sequence of policy. I told him that the procedure had not been executed upon our arrival. He called the restaurant manager Donovan MacFarlane and he joined us. They both asked where my family was eating dinner that night to ensure that things went smoothly. Donovan also said that in the past they have made bread for their families with gluten issues to bring with them to the buffet, restaurants and sports bar. I said that would be great.

Dinner that night was fabulous overall. Initially at the steak house the server came over and told us we could have whatever steak we wanted but without sauce. Au jus was an option on the menu. We questioned this and the chef came out. The chef explained they had 2 Au jus sauces and one was made with flour we could have the one without. The meal was delicious!!
The next morning it was the same with the hostess and servers not working with us. My husband and son did get gluten free pancakes one morning, we did receive gluten free biscuits one morning. We had gluten free desserts 2 nights, gluten free pasta 2 times and they did attempt a gluten free pizza for my son. They ended up running out of gluten free flour so they could not make us gluten free bread.
My expectations for what they could do were obviously not the same as what they could do to accommodate my dietary needs. All of this could have been avoided by putting some better systems in place. I would have contacted the hotel directly if I had known their limitations. Why bother letting the hotel know you have dietary issues if it is not discussed by the staff prior to your checking in.
My suggestion to the Grand Palladium is that ongoing the reservations agent should make the front office aware of any special requests or needs of guests prior to their check in. In the case like ours when dietary needs are an issue the food and beverage director and restaurant manager should contact the guest either prior to check in with an email or immediately upon check in the guest should sit down with the food and beverage director and the restaurant manager. That way upon check in the guest is completely clear on how their needs will be met during their stay, be given their dietary cards and be told to make reservations in advance.

The staff really wants to be hospitable and overall they do this very well. The room was clean and so were the grounds. This was the first time that I did not feel as though I was staying at an all inclusive. I hope for future guests of the hotel this review will help. I would have given them four stars if not for the hard bed and our food issues which became a real issue during our time there.

One last note. Beware of the "gift" that is waiting for you in the lobby. It is a way for you to go to a "time share" presentation. This is their program so it is "different".

Room Tip: if you like to be away from everything choose villa 18. Ask for a room close to the main pool if you...
3 Thank emeraldisle16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,915 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!