“New Years Eve Vacation”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here over the New Years Eve holiday. We read tons of reviews and was slightly nervous coming. However we found a grate price and decided to give it a try and we couldn't have been happier. My girlfriend and I are 25 and 26 from the New York area 30 minutes north of Manhattan and we couldn't have been happier. The resort was beautiful and clean. The resort is huge and we truly enjoyed the little works to each villa,beach, restaurant it is Jamaica it is beautiful to walk around and enjoy the fresh warm air especially when it is cold and wintery back home! You can pay $10 extra day for a better view but since in our previous travels we never spent much time in the room we decided not to upgrade the room. Our room was clean the bed was fine I had no problem sleeping neither did my girlfriend it is your standard hotel/resort bed & pillows. The pools were clean and I saw staff cleaning the pools in the morning and throughout the day. There was a bar at every pool and close by to every beach they do put the drinks in small plastic cups however you are allowed to bring your own cup and they will gladly fill it up no matter what size cup. They have cups at the resort gift shop for sale we didn't mind getting up every so often to get a drink especially because we hung out at the adults only beach Coral Beach which is just a quick walk up a ramp to the bar. If you are a pool person you are in luck as the bar is steps from each pool. My only complaints were the towel situation was hit or miss you needed to get up early in the am to get a towel and/or explore the resort to find them which I didn't mind. The other problem was the restaurant situation. Depending on your booking into the Hotel some people could make reservations other people which included us we couldn't make reservations. We needed to get to the restaurant by 6:30-7PM and needed to wait at least an hour to be seated which we didn't mind after finding out on the first night that it is the case at each restaurant. The upside is each restaurant has a bar in the waiting area the downside is you needed to be there early to wait. The other complaint about food which isn't major is that you need to wait to be seated for buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner. I didn't understand that since it is a buffet but still not a major inconvenience. The last small inconvenience was the water/beer situation in the room they fridge is small so only 2 waters and 2 beers fit in the fridge we tipped our maid daily she managed to fit 3 of each in the fridge after a tip. We called for room service to restock and they did however they only come with 2/2 unless you specify otherwise. Also they run on island time so it took about 30 minutes which I could careless b/c I was on vacation and was extremely relaxed the entire time thanks to the Grand Palladium and there wonderful staff. Our complaints were minor in our opinions as the entire trip was amazing! While at there we got a couples massage and spent part of the day at the spa pool/jacuzzis. The massage was great and the price was $160 grand total without tip for the massage which we thought was more than reasonable. Also they offer a moonlight dinner for 2 for an additional $200 which I highly recommend. My girlfriend loved it and I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe it was worth every penny. You book at guest services they give you 3 locations to choose from and you are the only couple at that location it is 3 course with wine and champagne. Overall I would recommend this to anyone and everyone would definitely come back and/or book another vacation at a grand palladium resort.

Room Tip: Get a couples massage, if you want to impress your lady set up dinner on the beach and if you want t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike R
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Mike R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. It is great that we were able to make your stay here special. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,149)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Last year a group of us went to Jamacia and stayed at the Grand Palladium. We had the best time ever. We had so much fun that we are making plans to go back again in October. We met a young lady name Olivia who was part of the entertainment she was so sweet and kind. If you haven't been here make plans to go.

Great time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SDW48
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Greetings SDW48,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We are happy that we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

went to Jamaica and stayed in the Grand Palladium for 8 days and 7 nights,had s great experience there,felt in love with the place....i want to say Olivia Lawrence(Princess),Adrian Hall,Andre Thomas and Carlton smith are great at what they do,and all the staff is very great so big ups to the team of Grand Palladium...had a great time ...def coming back!...shout out to the best.... Princess(Olivia)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your last vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests. We will be sure to pass your kind words to those staff which helped to make your vacation a memorable one.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

To start, I have never taken the time to write a review of a resort because I have been generally satisfied. Our family (2 adults and 3 kids: 17, 15 and 12) has been going to all-inclusive resorts for years and I know that you have to take the good with the bad. We booked last minute as there were very few options or I would not have chosen this resort. I was and am very grateful to have the time in Jamaica, which I love. I will try to keep this short.

The good:

1. Rooms were large and clean
2. Always refilled the limited in-room fridge with water and sodas
3. Great, large bar overlooking the ocean and centrally located between 2 sides
4. They offered Campari!
5. Fairly easy to get chairs (because there were too many for all areas)
6. Cool beach at far end of property with Jerk Chicken hut

The Bad:

1. The food is the worst I have ever had....my family is still suffering and we have been back for 8 days....had to take son to doctor yesterday and they have to test for possible bug
2. Too long of lines to wait for restaurants...not a good system
3. Resort is just too BIG, never had to go to the gym because I had to walk so much from room to the beach and back to room; up 3 flights of stairs, etc....which could be considered a good thing, I guess.
4. Beach in front of main pool beautiful but way tooooo rocky, cannot swim or walk
5. Service was terrible; could not get a drink near pool or at beach
6. POP was awful. We went to one show New Years Eve for about 10 minutes and it was the WORST. Also, the DJ near the pool hosting the events was so obnoxious. If you were sitting anywhere near this guy, you could not relax. If music was playing, he had to make stupid noises....way too loud and NOT at all relaxing.
7. Outside of our building #25, there was a terrible smell
8. Way too crowded by the pool and the sandy beach by 30%....their mentality was just add more chairs; made it visually ugly

I saw people who looked like they were from corporate taking photos and talking to staff....I am sure to make improvements.

Overall, I would NEVER go back there or recommend GP and hope that my stomach stops hurting soon. I did enjoy my trip because I was so happy to be away and managed to get past all of the "bad" and just roll with it.

To end, our flight was cancelled after waiting at the airport for 8 hours and they took all passengers, by bus, to, guess where? You got it, the Grand Palladium. We opted to get our own hotel room in Montego Bay and pay out of pocket,. Made it home next day.....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ABB1472014
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Accommodations Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Warmest Greetings,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Grand Palladium Resorts and Spa for your vacation time in Jamaica; it was our pleasure to host you on our property!

We would also like to apologize if we did not meet your expectations and if your experience at the hotel was not up to your standards.
Let me say how thankful we are for the nice comments about our rooms, amenities and facilities. We at the Grand Palladium pride ourselves in offering comfort and satisfaction guarantee and it is for this reason why we are saddened by the negative comments made.
I am very sorry also about the fact you and your family have been sick while staying at our hotel. The health of our customers is of utmost importance to us, at Grand Palladium we have contracts with internationally recognized food audit companies such as Cristal that do periodical audits of all our Food and Beverage areas. These companies check to ensure the correct food handling procedures are occurring and also verifying the water supply in all areas.
Above all, I would like to express to you my concern about your comments, related to your present health status. I guarantee you that we work with hygiene and sanitation standards, which are being monitored continuously. As you may know, certain risks are involved when travelling to the tropics, as there are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate changed, environments variations, travelling stress, consumption of food or beverage off property (such as an excursion), combination of new foods and beverages, allergy to some native products, underlying diseases (diabetes, gastric ulcer, intestinal mal absorption syndromes, medications side effects, immunosuppressive states.), or the certain foods and drinks mixture, excessive sun exposure, that predispose individuals to react to gastrointestinal manifestations.

All in all I trust that you and yours will feel well soon and please do not hesitate in contacting us if there is anything we can do from this end.
In closing, please accept my sincerest apology again for the inconvenience we have caused you. Again, I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a happy guest.

It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied guest and will hope to serve you again soon.

Always at your service
Ingrid Slater
Assistant Accommodations Director

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Thomson flights on the Dreamliner were brilliant. Premium package well worth the money. Meals excellent and cabin crew very attentive. All went well until we landed at just gone 14.30 local time. 45 min. transfer to hotel and we got there at 18.00! Absolute 'bedlam' at the airport. People and luggage put on the wrong buses. We left the airport at 16.45 and part way there we had to return to the airport to collect people and luggage that had been left behind. No water and a rude coach driver and transfer delays nearly caused a mutiny.
No hotel registration forms on the bus and no welcome drink on arrival. Had to queue for forms, complete form and re-join the queue. Only one on check-in. Requested a low floor central room and were allocated accommodation far out and on first floor. Refused hotel room allocated and returned by buggy to request a better located room. Yet again we were expected to queue. We did ask at check in whether the room allocated met our needs and was assured it did.
Our re allocated room was fine but these problems did not make a good start to the holiday. The rooms were very clean and furnishings fairly new. Buffet breakfast excellent and the speciality restaurants were first class.
We will definitely return to Jamaica this being our 4th visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 15 some noise at night with guests returning to their rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aholidayfan

Dear Aholidayfan,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments. We appreciate your kind words and we are pleased that you enjoyed the delicious meals and the accommodations which you received. It is unfortunate that the start of your vacation had unfavorable happenings but we are happy that we were able to fulfill your initial room request. Requests made in advance of our guests' stay are not guaranteed and are subject to availability. We however try our best to accommodate such requests as best as we can.

We welcome your visit in the near future as it would be our pleasure to be given the opportunity of hosting you again. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a 7 day stay, 2 adults and 2 kids and did not want to leave. Spectacularly large resort, well maintained. If ur not into walking then this is not the place for u. Great beaches, pools, bars, buffets, a la cartes....u will not go hungry as there r so many options. Entertainment staff at Sunset Cove r nice and engaging but don't nag u to get involved. Shows r basic but still entertaining. Service is a hit and miss here. Some staff r very friendly, they seem to really enjoy their jobs and interacting with guests. Some staff come off as unapproachable and don't seem to care but there is enough friendly staff that u quickly forget about the others. There r no reservations for a la carte, 1st come 1st served which I thought was strange but it actually worked well because there r so many dining options that the waits were minimal. As I said earlier the resort is huge and depending which building u get a room in, ur way to the main areas/beaches may be longer. We enjoyed the walking especially after large meals and if u take ur time and don't rush then u don't miss out on any of the views.
WiFi is only free in the lobbies which was fine cause I don't go on vacation to surf the web all day. It would have been nice to have a lobby bar directly near the seating in both main lobbies but there were enough bars around to choose from. I have read many bad reviews and hesitated booking at GP but after spending a week there I can say I am glad that I didn't listen to the negative. U cannot expect perfection any where u go, there will always be a hiccup, so my hiccup was some of the staff but my vacation was still awesome!

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank Bellaandellie

Greetings Bellaandellie!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer. We do apologize for the attitude of some of our staff and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do employ continuous training for our team to ensure that situations as this do not recur.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We just got back from a 6 day/5 night stay at GP Jamaica (6-11 Jan 2014). We wanted to find a warm place to go in Jan (can you say Polar Vortex?) to celebrate our son's birthday, and despite reading all the negative reviews we decided to take a chance with GP Jamaica.

Overall impression of vacationing at GP Jamaica was good value for the cost paid.

The worst part of our experience at the GP Jamaica was the Front Desk staff. As previous reviewers have commented, there is a lack of professionalism exhibited by the Front Desk staff. We reserved 2 junior suites and requested those rooms to be as close together as possible and close to the main building so my wife did not have to walk as far for restaurants and activities. Our flight to MBJ was delayed, so we ended up arriving at GP Jamaica at 10:30PM instead of 5:00PM as originally planned. Since our son travelled on a different flight, he was able to arrive at 5PM, however, the Front Desk refused to allow him to check into both room, citing the GP hotel policy that each guest can only be registered into 1 room, and at least 1 guest in each room has to be physically present to check into the room...but they assured him the rooms are in the same building...so ya mon, no worries right? When we arrived at 10:30PM, the front desk told us the only room available in the resort is in building 21 instead of building 11 where my son's room was located. We were then told we could possibly get a room in building 11 if we were willing to upgrade our room category for $30 per night, otherwise we can stay at the other building until a similar category room became available in building 11. My son asked why did the Front Desk told him at check in that the 2nd room was in the same building? That was when even the upgraded category room became unavailable. We ended up staying at the other building that night and was able to move to building 11 the next day. The only "compensation" we received from the Front Desk staff is an offer to allow us to reserve dinner time at the a la carte restaurants. I know it was not GP Jamaica that made us arrive late at the resort, but they certainly didn't try to go the proverbial "extra mile" to help make the experience pleasant.

Checking out was another hassle. The Palladium booklet in the room specifically said guests can check out the night before by turning in the towel cards, settle all outstanding charges with the Front Desk and get a Check Out card to hand to the bellman...that is not true. Although I returned the towel cards the night before, and settle all outstanding charges, the Front Desk told me they also wanted the room keys as well, meaning we would have to physically vacate the room when we checked out, even if it is the night before...ok, so no worries mon, I can just complete the check out first thing in the morning (8AM) while my family finish packing in the room for a 9:30AM departure for the airport...not so fast. Front Desk still refused to check me out when I got there in the morning because not everyone was standing in front of them so they can personally cut off the wrist bands! Ya mon, Front Desk training is sorely lacking, which is really a shame since the rest of the experience could make this a 5 star destination, but the first and last impression of the resort is really a 1 star experience.

If you can look beyond the poor Front Desk experience (check-in and check-out), the rest of the staff at the resort were friendly and very willing to help without asking for a tip. Special shout out to "Happy" who be-friended to my sons at the pool. The entertainment team was energetic and enthusiastic (an actual daily entertainment schedule with time, location and theme of the event would be nice to have). The restaurant staff was pleasant and helpful (they sang happy birthday to my son on his birthday). House keeping was friendly and innovative (they refreshed the towels and minibars every day and left small arrangements of local flowers in our rooms each day!). The water sport staff was watchful and friendly (even if you did not tip them). The grounds was clean and tidy (lots to grounds keepers working all day), the rooms were large and functional (beds are hard and need to keep the AC on all day to keep the air from smelling dank/musty), but ya mon, you are there for the weather and breath taking views of the ocean!

Breakfast buffet had a good variety (some of the meat dishes were not what we expected) and plentiful. We ate lunch at the Jerk Hut (jerk chicken and paella). We tried a different a la carte restaurant each night. Our favorite ones were the Creole followed by the steak house, seafood and Mexican (my son tried that the 1st night). Asian was very disappointing (especially if you are an Asian).

Btw, we booked Reggae Tours for the airport transfers and that was a great choice since they were able to change at the last moment to take my son to the resort when he arrived and they stayed after hours to transport us to the resort. We also booked a tour to Negril Beach/Blue Hole/Rick's Café with Reggae Tours (we had a great time with Nicholas as our driver/guide who is very knowledgeable of the Jamaican history/current affairs and took us to Sweet Spice for lunch). Negril Beach is a must visit (so long as the security guards keep the beach hustlers away), Blue Hole was very scenic and therapeutic (this one does not have a water fall but does have the lime stone/mud scrubs at the bottom of the hole), sunset at Rick's Café was awe inspiring (although the tour launches right before sunset were very annoying).

Room Tip: Building 11 is the closest one to the pool and main building, however, it does get noisy at nights...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveller1642

Dear Traveller1642,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We appreciate the time which you have taken to bring to our attention the pros and cons of your vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are overall pleased that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay with us.

It is delightful that you enjoyed the delicious meals which were provided and the entertainment package. It is also great that you took the opportunity to visit other beautiful areas of Jamaica. We must apologize for the unfavorable happenings throughout your stay and will see to it that corrective action is taken to rectify each.

We would love to be given the opportunity of hosting you again in the future so that you may have a vacation nothing short of Grand. Feel free to contact us if there is anything further we can assist with from this end.

Best Wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!