“Beautiful hotel... and that's about it.”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The Grand Palladium is a beautiful resort located in the middle of nowhere Lucea, 45 minutes from Montego Bay.
There isn't much to do during the day besides swimming in the pool or hanging in the small poolside bars; the man made beach is for looks only as most of it full of sharp coral and rocks. I found that there is a swimming section at the end of Las Brisas beach. Oh, if you ant to have a drink be ready for tipping at least a dollar a round for 3 ounce glasses of beer and sub-par drinks. Now, I have been to all inclusive resorts and I know that tipping is a must, but in this resort, and sorry to say, in Jamaica in general it seems to be the only way to get people to do their jobs. For example, we always left a couple of bucks on the night stand for the maids and every time we got back to our room it was spotless with a nice heart made out of folded towels with rose petals; and the one day we forgot to leave a tip because we got up early to go to an excursion the room was not cleaned, the fridge was not restocked and of course not only was there not heart of towels, but the bed wasn't even made. I also saw the airport shuttle bus driver cursing at a passenger who did not tip him.
Of course there were exception and for the most part the waiters and waitresses at the a la carte restaurants were exceptional. The buffets' service? Well, that's different story.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EdRoblesJr
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Seasons Greetings EdRoblesJr,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are happy you found our resort “beautiful” as it truly is, with the sun, beaches, varied cuisine appreciated worldwide and the cheerful nature of our staff alike.

I am sorry that you did not find our beaches to your liking as, we are proud to inform you that we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. We also have three of the best beaches at our resort and majority of our guests would differ with you on your opinion. Our Sunset Beach is first choice by most of our visitors. Similarly, our Coral Beach is a natural sanctuary with live coral areas for incredible scuba or snorkeling. Our Las Brisas beach is also wonderful and facilitates daily activities to keep our guests entertained.

Regarding tipping, this is optional and always at the Guest’s convenience, it is certainly not our intention for our guests to feel hassled and uncomfortable. We humbly apologize for any discomfort you experienced and assure you that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

We encourage guests with issues or complaints to make them known to our Guests Relations Manager or Front Office Manager, in order for us to immediately address the situation, especially if it concerns the cleaning of your room. We are sorry for that experience with your room.

It would be our pleasure to host you again and offer you our usual warm hospitality.

Ingrid Slater
Assistant Room Division Director

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here in October 2013 and found the whole experience to be exactly as expected. Staff were friendly and helpful and could not do enough to assist. Rooms were spacious and clean, service was exceptional and the Thomson Rep was always on hand to assist with any queries. Facilities are shared between the grand and lady hamiliton but to walk from one side to the other takes approx 15mins and it is possible to take the coastal route, if you dont fancy the walk staff with there buggies are always willing and available to assist. The al a care restaurants as stated above are always busy, however you can sit and relax with a drink while you wait to be seated. Once at your table, service is prompt and efficient.All in all my partner and I found the holiday and the resort to be perfect with plenty to keep us entertained day and night.with ample choice of dining experiences, excellent service and friendly hard working staff.

Room Tip: villa 13 has a small private beach next to it and a small pool opposite
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leightonNewcastle
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear leightonNewcastle,

Thank you for sharing your review based off your last vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer, from the luxurious accommodations and entertainment, to the delicious meals which were had. We welcome your return in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on your last stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Arrived back home on 13th December after two weeks at the Grand Palladium Jamaica with Thomson Holidays. Both arrivals and departure at the Jamaican airport was chaotic with long queues and a lack of information. The transfer coaches had seen better days with only the driver to unload all the cases at the airport.
The hotel is very good, with well kept garden areas, a large well maintained pool and a small beach area. The bedrooms are large and clean but any required maintainance is slow. The reception, bar areas and restaurants are on two levels but there are lifts if required.
The food in the buffet and restaurants is very good with plenty of choice but more staff required to clear the tables.
Be prepared for a long wait at the speciality restaurants as they don't allow pre booking which can be a problem with larger groups (there were six of us).
The service at the Infinity Bar was slow, too many chiefs.
Try the Piano lounge, international drinks with generous portions, (thanks Joy)
We attended the 'Meet the staff cocktail party' unfortunatey the bar staff didn't seen to know about it, there were no cocktails prepared, no welcome drink and the guy doing the introducing didn't know the names of half of the staff.
To sum up, a really good hotel one of the best we have visited in Jamaica but is in need of a good management team to get it organised

Room Tip: Go for the top floor. less noise from the wildlife.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank david n

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We do appreciate your feedback in regards to the service which you experienced. Your observations have been noted and we will work to take corrective action to ensure that these do not recur.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

From start to finish, the Grand Palladium Jamaica is by far the worst hotel I have ever been to. Day 1 check in proved futile when we showed up at 5pm. Check in is at 3pm, however our rooms were not ready. We had left for the airport at 6am so you can imagine the hunger we were feeling at 5pm. We asked that since our rooms were unavailable to shower before dinner, if it was possible to go eat while we waited. We were informed that dinner was not started until 530pm but we were welcome to walk to the “sports bar” for food. So we walked the half mile there, and sat down. After about 15 minutes someone finally came to take our order. We knew we wanted to have a proper meal so we ordered Spinach and Artichoke dip to tide us over. After waiting 20 minutes the waiter came over to tell us they had run out of spinach and therefore we could not have what we ordered. Luckily, it was 6pm and we could go to dinner. That night we finally got to go to our rooms at 8pm. Here’s where it gets good. We took a shuttle to our rooms. When we got there, the driver took our bags off the cart and led us into the building. Now, here’s something not listed on the website. THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS!!! That’s right, you have to carry your luggage up the stairs. Cause that’s what you want to do on your vacation.
We get into our rooms, which were very nice but nothing special. The worst thing about the rooms were that the bathroom was kind of in the middle of the room. There is absolutely no privacy. The tub is in the middle of the room and there is only a small door to close for privacy while you’re on the toilet but the toilet is about 10 feet from the bed. We had all asked for double beds except for the one married couple. We all received King size beds and had to share, which is very uncomfortable when you’re on vacation with your mother or two brothers as we were. There was a multitude of problems in each of the 3 rooms we had, toilets were broken in every room, the air conditioning didn’t work in two rooms, and so many more issues.
The next day we went to meet with the representative of who we booked our trip with. We explained the issues we had had, and she ran to get the hotel manager, I will not get into what ensued with her, as it is not part of the hotel.
Eventually, to make our stay more comfortable the manager was nice enough to upgrade our rooms to one bedroom suites. If only that had ended the issues, if anything, it made things worse.
We received the call that we were going to be moved at about 6pm. We were getting ready for dinner, so we said we would go eat and come back to pack. At about 9pm we went to the front desk and told them we were ready to move. Again, the rooms were not ready. Finally, at midnight(!!!!) they were ready. We were scattered around instead of being near each other as we had requested, but whatever, least of the problems. At midnight, the shuttle picked us up, after we carried our own bags down flights of stairs and were left at the bottom of the stairs again with our bags to go to our new rooms. These rooms had just as many problems. The shower leaked into the bathroom so bad that there was such a flood that someone had to come and mop it up. My favorite part of this room though, was this: One morning I was brushing my teeth when I noticed that there was dental floss in my toiletries bag. I assumed it was my mothers and the cleaning lady put it in my bag thinking it was mine so I used it. The next night my aunt was in our room, and she noticed that it was weird looking, she took it out of my bag and asked me what it was, so I replied “oh that’s my moms dental floss, the maid must have put it in my bag by accident” my mother turns to me and says “I didn’t bring dental floss” Oh.My.Gods. Is that disgusting!?!? The maid did such a horrible job cleaning that someone had left their dental floss and she had mistakenly thought it was mine!!!! Also, just to show you how they do not clean, I had put a do not disturb sign on my door while I ran in for something, I put the “please clean room” sign out as soon as I left. Not even 20 minutes later I had to run back and they were finished. I guess they just made the bed and left. Every time they “cleaned” we had to call for towels because the maid would only take the wet ones and not leave new ones.
One night, in my aunt’s room, she had some issues with her AC, she called for someone to come and when the guy came to fix it, fiberglass was coming out of the vents. One piece even got into his eye. She was told that for the night she would have to be moved to another room. When she got to her new (third) room, there was no toilet paper or towels for her to shower.
These were just issues with the rooms. The hotel itself was also pretty crappy.
When we booked this trip we were informed that the Jamaica side of the resort was nice but the Lady Hamilton side was the “higher end”. They were the exact same thing. Don’t pay extra for the Lady Hamilton side, it is literally exactly the same.
Everything at this resort is a walk. You have to walk miles to eat, go to the pool, the gym, etc,. None of the restaurants have real air conditioning either. There was one night we ate at the steak house, they had no air on at all. I was sweating into my food.
The food itself is simply meh. Nothing special. Portions are small, food is ok. But eating in 90 degree humid heat with no air can make food taste terrible. Especially after the mile walk from your room.
Besides the dental floss, the other two favorite parts of the trip for me was as follows. One day we went into the buffet and asked for a table. There was maybe 15 tables being occupied while about 40 were empty. We were told that they were full and we would have to walk to another buffet. I don’t understand how they could even say that when literally, NO ONE WAS THERE. It was crazy.
The next thing was, one night myself and my cousin were out later than everyone else. We were in the lobby and decided instead of walking for 10 mins, we could hop on the shuttle with the 4 empty seats out front. We were told that there were people on it and we could walk down to our rooms this way. As we were walking, the almost empty shuttle passed us.
There was a casino on site, with about 15 slot machines, nothing exciting. The shows are nice, but they are over at 10 and then there is absolutely nothing to do. The “club” opened at 11pm, and the one night I went in there, there was about 4 older women and that was it. Very boring at night.
The best part about our entire trip was when we got to leave the resort for our excursions.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. It is run very poorly and while Oscar, the front desk manager tried to help, a room upgrade was not really sufficient enough to compensate for the lack of hotel support and cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Nicole S
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your informative review. We were disappointed to learn that your recent stay with us was below par, we want to stress that this is not the typical experience of our guests. Please be assured that we are taking immediate steps to look at the issues you have described.

It is hoped that despite your negative review, you will afford us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ingrid Slater
Assistant Room Division Director

Reviewed December 11, 2013

First, the pros and cons.
Pros:
Excelent Food. The buffet was great, the restaurants that I went to were also very good
Clean Pool. The staff was very meticulous in cleaning the pool every morning.
Very Nice Employees. Was always greeted with a smile by everyone
Excursions are easy to book if you booked your trip through a website or airline

Cons:
A Lot of walking and a lot of Stairs.
Small drink cups. No red bull behind the bar
Not a lot of beach area

I did a 7 day trip 12/2-12/9 and I have to say I was impressed. I saw a lot of reviews about the staff being miserable. I DID NOT encounter that at all. Everyone greeted me with a smile. I would suggest bringing a stack of singles if you go. I understand it's "All Inclusive" but tipping a dollar here and a dollar there goes a long way with the staff.
There was a lot of walking involved. They do have little golf carts that will take you where you want to go if you need that. We stayed on the "Jamaica" side.Villas 12/13/14 are the closest to the center of the resort where everything is happening, but if you want to go to Sunset cove from that side, it's a good walk.
The pool is HUGE and maintained every day. I spent most of my time there. I put my towel on a lounge chair along with my phone, camera and other belongings and it wasn't disturbed while I was in the water. They have a swim up bar and the bartender MARTIN, is a great bartender and a friendly guy.
Ate at both buffets, the Asian, Steakhouse, Mexican, and Italian restaurants. All were very good. Service is a little slow, but that's just the nature of it. Suggestion is to eat early if you are going to one of the restaurants. They open at 5:30. If you plan on eating around 8, you are going to wait.
On the second floor they have the Infinity Bar which is huge. The bartenders there, John, Errol, Andrew, and Amoy were fabulous. There was some kind of entertainment every night. The drinks are small, but if you bring your own cup, they will be happy to fill it up for you.
They only bad experience I had at the Infinity bar was with a gentleman named "Romain." He proceded to yell at the bartender John, in front of the customers. That was uncalled for and unprofessional. *I hope someone from Grand Palladium Management is reading this review*
The room was very spacious. Bed could have been more comfortable, but it did it's job. A read some reviews about theft in the rooms. Here's a quick tip. Buy a TSA lock for one of your pieces of luggage if you are concerned about anything shady going down and lock one of your bags up with any valuables. I had no issues when it came to the room.
i did a shopping tour in Negril. If you plan of doing this, do all your shopping at their "Times Square." It's a series of shops on the main road. There are single shops that are on the main road, but they are more expensive. During the ride, we passed a few "BIG NAME" resorts, and I gotta say, they were more expensive when I was researching them, and they looked run down to the point that I though one was condemned. This is one of the newer resorts on the coast.
Also did an excursion to Rick's Cafe that included a catamaran ride. You leave from Margaritaville in Negril and they take you snorkeling first and then about a 45 min boat ride along the coast to Rick's Cafe. That was a very nice trip.
All in all it was a pretty seamless vacation. People are going to post bad reviews about the pettiest of things that might have gone wrong. If you go in with a "Don't sweat the small stuff" attitude, you will have a great time.

Room Tip: Villa 12/13/14 on the Jamaica side is a short walk to the main building and pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank degenx1973
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Degenx1973:

It is indeed a pleasure reading your reviews and must admit that we are very happy that you enjoyed the food and the overall facility and most importantly the warm and friendliness of our staff while you were here on your vacation.

We have taken note of your comments and concerns and will will be sharing your them with our staff.

We want to thank you for taking the time to write and share your reviews as this is one of the ways we grow and improve our service.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Recently my work arranged a trip to the Grand Palladium in Jamaica for the whole company. The resort was absolutely breath taking. The staff, super friendly and genuine, if a "ya man" and a "no problem" to whatever request. The place is absolutely immaculate from the front lobby to the pool and beach area. The rooms are spacious and supply all the comfort needs. It's a large resort, so it's great for long strolls, but if you're too tired you can always call reception for a pick up. They have a beautiful spa with all amenities. The spa area also has a full service gym, where you will be greeted by Cecil, the trainer, who's extremely professional and accommodating. Food was delicious, as I didn't have one meal that I didn't enjoy. But the best part was the entertainment. Fun activities during the day and an active night life. The main bar offered live entertainment every night, reggae singers, steel drum band and dancers whom got us up and busting out some fancy moves. Also, it has a theatre featuring various dancers and performances. And to conclude the evening, they have a disco, with a DJ spinning various beats. Not a minute of boredom. I highly recommend the Grand Palladium, as I will return for a longer stay. Plus all my coworkers had a similar experience and even our boss has reconsidered going to Vegas next year, as he too enjoyed himself.

Room Tip: If you want to reduce some of the walking, book in the Lady Hamilton section, as it's closer to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Aleksandra L

Dear Aleksandra L:

We were most delighted to read your positive reviews regarding your recent stay at Grand Palladium. We are very happy to know that the food was to your personal liking and in extension the facilities offered.

Here at Grand Palladium we stride on ensuring that all our guests are totally satisfied as a result our staff are trained accordingly.

It is absolutely wonderful to know that you will consider returning based on a positive experience while you were here, for that, we re indeed happy to know we made your stay along with the other members of your group very special.

Thank you for choosing Grand Palladium and we look forward to hosting you again and again.

Best wishes

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Traveled from November 30-December 7th with a cousin and her husband. Property - beautiful/clean, rooms- clean, welcoming decor, food- good, better than expected, restaurants- good food/good service. Huge resort, but carts were very accessible. Check-in went rather smoothly. Upon arrival our room wasn't available, but we were able to grab lunch and a few drinks then we proceeded to our room. Check-out was unevenful but highly dreaded because of the great week.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle B

Dear Travelladyshelly:

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you had a great time and we appreciate the time you have taken to write to us.

We are happy to know that you did enjoy the food, staff service and that you found the overall facility to your satisfaction.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to write and share your comments with us. We do hope that you will return to enjoy the palladium service in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!